Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rhuberty View Post
    I appreciate all the input. I'm just trying to educate myself and I have been very pleased with our contractor. This was a 1st of the year startup situation. I live in Minnesota and we use our AC at most 2 months a year. It appears like there is no real "right" answer here but the lean is to leave it alone. A sidenote that may or may not facor in - I have been remodeling the basement and doing some electrical work - the main wire to the AC unit was accidentaly cut and tripped the breaker. I doubt this would cause the initial lock-up?
    It couldn't have helped it . But probably didn't affect anything.

Confused Here we go...

Owner called my wife today noting "sure glad that worked as our compressor was not covered under warranty and the mfg would not stand behind it." It appears that he wants to just quickly move beyond the issue. Did not even discuss the pro's or con's of replacement with us. His story was that it was manufactured sometime in 2003 and is one year beyond warranty. Warrenty clearly states a warranty start from "date of installation" which was early 2004. He suggests that "maybe the unit was installed before we purchased the home and sat for awhile (we are in a new home)." What he did not remember was that he (the owner) was the one that actually installed it 4 years ago and we have his signature and date of payment on the back of his business card. I can understand - that was 4 years ago and apparently he does not keep good records. We did not shop around at the time, paid him what I believe to be a premium price for the unit and now have the issue to deal with. While I'm sure it's not unusual to have a unit sitting in a warehouse for a year or two before install, based on his response I can't but wonder where the unit might have came from before he installed it (pulled from another house, reconditioned, bought on the black market, etc.). I have one more question and would appreciate comments - could the hard start capacitor be removed (standard capacitor replaced) and if the unit fires could we be more comfortable that the compressor is good or would I just be faced with another service call next spring putting the hard start back in. I'm at a loss here on how to approach the situation but definately don't wish to kick out $600 and associated service $$$ for a new compressor a year or two from now. I already have two service calls to pay for. It would also be nice to know a reasonable time estimate to replace the compressor so I can evaluate the service cost related to the replace or don't replace decision.

Owner called my wife today noting "sure glad that worked as our compressor was not covered under warranty and the mfg would not stand behind it." It appears that he wants to just quickly move beyond the issue. Did not even discuss the pro's or con's of replacement with us. His story was that it was manufactured sometime in 2003 and is one year beyond warranty. Warrenty clearly states a warranty start from "date of installation" which was early 2004. He suggests that "maybe the unit was installed before we purchased the home and sat for awhile (we are in a new home)." What he did not remember was that he (the owner) was the one that actually installed it 4 years ago and we have his signature and date of payment on the back of his business card. I can understand - that was 4 years ago and apparently he does not keep good records. We did not shop around at the time, paid him what I believe to be a premium price for the unit and now have the issue to deal with. While I'm sure it's not unusual to have a unit sitting in a warehouse for a year or two before install, based on his response I can't but wonder where the unit might have came from before he installed it (pulled from another house, reconditioned, bought on the black market, etc.). I have one more question and would appreciate comments - could the hard start capacitor be removed (standard capacitor replaced) and if the unit fires could we be more comfortable that the compressor is good or would I just be faced with another service call next spring putting the hard start back in. I'm at a loss here on how to approach the situation but definately don't wish to kick out $600 and associated service $$$ for a new compressor a year or two from now. I already have two service calls to pay for. It would also be nice to know a reasonable time estimate to replace the compressor so I can evaluate the service cost related to the replace or don't replace decision.
    You're up and running.Let it go.

If you remove the start kit. You can feel secure that you will do more harm then good to the compressor.
    You can remind him that he put it in 4 years ago. And the warrranty is 5 years from date of install.

But, a running compressor replaced while it works, is NOT covered under warranty.

A hard start/ start assist is common on many units. And they run for many years after the kit is installed.

If you remove a start kit from a compressor after it has been installed to aid teh compressor in starting. It is willfull abuse to remove it, which voids warranty.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Willful abuse

I struggle to understand how you can suggest willful abuse related to removal of a part that was never an original part on the unit.

A running compressor assisted by a non OEM item does not sound like a running compressor. To me it sounds like a bandaid. I hate analogies but I can jump start my car if I have a weak battery but it still does not change the fact that I have a weak battery. This unit was sold as new, started fine after each winter for 3 years, ran just fine all summer long for 3 years. The 4th year it didn't start - Why? Nothing in the operating environment has changed other than the age of the unit.

Again I get the impression most feel to leave it be but to a commoner it looks like a bandaid approach and a coin toss on the future. I have a warranty I can attempt to push now -> I have nothing in 1 year. I truly do appreciate all the feedback. It's just one of those ****ty situations with no right answer.

Why.
    Because its not the compressor that caused this condition.
    Something caused the compressor to require more torque for starting.

A start kit is a UL approved permanat add on device for aiding compressors in starting.

Jump starting a car is not a permant solution to a weak battery.
    A battery to a car, is like a capacitor to a single phase compressor.

If you have no start up sheet list the conditions at time of install. You dson't know that it shouldn't have had a strat kit to begin with.

Seen more then one compressor changed out because someone put a start kit on, and told the customer that the compressor should be changed out. Then when the new compressor was installed. It needed a hard start kit also.

So if you feel like wasting money on another compressor. Have it changed out.
    If you get warranty on it, fine. Remember, the new compressor will only have the remaining warranty of what your current compressor has left.
    So next year, your new compressor will have no warranty either. But will most likely still be using a start kit to start.

Its your money.
    Contractor locator map

I struggle to understand how you can suggest willful abuse related to removal of a part that was never an original part on the unit.

A running compressor assisted by a non OEM item does not sound like a running compressor. To me it sounds like a bandaid. I hate analogies but I can jump start my car if I have a weak battery but it still does not change the fact that I have a weak battery. This unit was sold as new, started fine after each winter for 3 years, ran just fine all summer long for 3 years. The 4th year it didn't start - Why? Nothing in the operating environment has changed other than the age of the unit.

Again I get the impression most feel to leave it be but to a commoner it looks like a bandaid approach and a coin toss on the future. I have a warranty I can attempt to push now -> I have nothing in 1 year. I truly do appreciate all the feedback. It's just one of those ****ty situations with no right answer.
    A question for you; who are the professionals and who is not here?

You have been given correct information by several professionals on this forum, why are you arguing? Start components are not bandaids, they are a common part used in many compressor bearing systems.

The incident with cutting the power line most certainly could have caused the initial lock up of the compressor if the line was not cut all at once or if only one leg of the electrical was cut.

No matter the reason, your system has been properly repaired using proper industry parts and standards. There is no reason your system should not give you years of comfort service now that the problem with it has been remedied.

Now that he mentions it.
    It could be an improper wire splice causing the start trouble.
    Contractor locator map

no need to respond

Guys I'm not trying to get everyone all worked up or second guess your professional advice....again just trying to learn what I'm up against....if anything the first post on this thread scared me. I think the heart of the matter is what caused the compressor to require more torque for starting considering the only thing that really changed was time and age. It's probably more trouble and cost to determine this than to just throw the hard start on it and walk away. I doubt the electrical think has anything to do with it - every fall I disconnect the power at the unit to avoid an accidental start up at 50 below. Pretty sure I did this now after giving it some thought. Again thanks for your professional advice.

Quote Originally Posted by everythingair View Post
    A question for you; who are the professionals and who is not here?

You have been given correct information by several professionals on this forum, why are you arguing? Start components are not bandaids, they are a common part used in many compressor bearing systems.

The incident with cutting the power line most certainly could have caused the initial lock up of the compressor if the line was not cut all at once or if only one leg of the electrical was cut.

No matter the reason, your system has been properly repaired using proper industry parts and standards. There is no reason your system should not give you years of comfort service now that the problem with it has been remedied.
    All true but,you're not telling him what he want's to hear.

Thank you Beenthere

What do I want to hear dangler....? I think the wire splice might actually be something to check out. So everything comes full circle back to me or my electrician.

.if anything the first post on this thread scared me.
    The first response shows a lack of experience with start kits. Not to insult him. But he is incorrect.

EG: Semi friend of mine. A/C installed by others.(they were cheaper). After running for 6 years. Comp doesn't start. Installed hard start, that was 10 years ago. Same compressor still running strong today.
    Contractor locator map

What do I want to hear dangler....? I think the wire splice might actually be something to check out. So everything comes full circle back to me or my electrician.
    I can't say for sure but,it appears you're looking to "blame" someone for what happened. There isn't anyone or thing to place the 'blame" on. These things happen (tight compressors) every day of the week.So,kick back and enjoy the cool air.Sometimes you have to put a start kit on a spanking new unit because of the type of expansion valve for one example. And there's other reasons that I don't want to go into at this time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast