sizing whole house mini-split

sizing whole house mini-split

I'm looking at a mini-split for whole house cooling.

Our house is a smallish 900 sq ft 2BR/1BA bungalow near San Jose, California. Summer temperatures don't get too extreme. We need to turn on air conditioning probably less than 30 days a year.

The interior component of the mini-split will be installed in a centrally located skylight well. That skylight well opens directly into every room of the house, so the cool air should fan out nicely from that location.

There is good access to route electricity and coolant lines - installation should be a slam-dunk.

So I am ~thinking~ about an 18000 BTU Fujitsu Halcyon system. But for only a little more I can get a Fujitsu 24000 BTU system. The extra $ is no big deal, but I don't want to oversize the system and have unnecessarily high electricity bills.

Whadyall think? Are there any obvious problems with what I am planning? Should I spend the extra $ for the 24000 BTU system, or will that be overkill?

This will be installed by an HVAC professional, but i want to do my homework to ensure I am getting the right system.
    Last edited by gblotter; 06-29-2008 at 12:16 PM.

Edit out price references, not allowed on this site, its in the rules, Please read them. Thank you.

This sounds like DIY. Also not allowed to answer on this site.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Edit out price references, not allowed on this site, its in the rules, Please read them. Thank you.

This sounds like DIY. Also not allowed to answer on this site.
    References to specific prices removed. This will be installed by an HVAC professional. But I want to do my homework to ensure I am getting the right system.

Cool

Not only electrical/copper line sets, but also you'll need some kind of pvc drain line... so make sure that won't be a pain in the ass. The correct answer would be to do a load calculation on your house, but if you want to save money and not have someone do this then I'd go with the 24k...

Your contractor should size the unit. Thats what we get paid to do.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by dj3901783 View Post
    Not only electrical/copper line sets, but also you'll need some kind of pvc drain line... so make sure that won't be a pain in the ass.
    And the PVC drain line too ... thanks for that reminder. Yes - there is easy access to a drain location. Dumb luck perhaps, but installation logistics really couldn't be much easier for a mini-split I think.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Your contractor should size the unit. Thats what we get paid to do.
    Yes. I'm just trying to educate myself so that I can converse intelligently and do a sanity check on things that contractors tell me when I start soliciting bids for this job. An uneducated consumer is a vulnerable consumer. And I like to always be learning new things too.

Understandable.
    Contractor locator map