Confused Ugh!!!! The noise!!!! Need recommendations for quiet furnace!

Oh good, the air just turned off. I can hear myself think again...

Ok, I'm not sure this is the best place to ask since it seems to be for professionals but...

I live in a two story townhouse (about 1400 sq ft) with no basement. The furnace is on the first floor and has always been LOUD! I need to turn the TV up when it comes on and down when it goes off. It is a York P2MP and is about 12 years old.

I have a couple questions:
    1. The furnace states it is 64MBH. Is this the same as saying it is 64000 Btus?
    2. Any recommendations for an equivalent BUT MUCH QUIETIER replacement?
    3. I know prices aren't discussed here but could you give me an idea of the cost to replace a furnace possibly along with the A/C unit (I think it's about 2.5 tons). If I'm looking at the high(er) end for quietness are we talking about xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx?
    4. Would something like a Lennox G61V be overkill? Or really expensive (xxx-ish)?
    5. Am I restricted to the 80 AFUE because I have a galvanized flue vent through 2 floors to the roof?
    6. Anything I can do to quiet to existing unit?

I’m just looking for general information so I can either rule out replacing the unit due to cost or speak knowledgably to contractors to get a quote.

Thanks in advance.

Oh no, it’s on again !!!! Please help!

EDIT Sorry but we can not answer pricing on this site. Please do not ask for pricing information or your thread will be removed. Thank you.
    Last edited by zoomer4321; 06-29-2008 at 05:34 PM.

Thats still a pricing question. Won't be answered.
    Yes, 64MBh, is 64,000 BTU an hour.

Is the noise just from the indoor blower. Is it mechanical noise, or air movement noise.
    Do you just get teh noise from the return, or is it from the supply also.
    A new furnace could be louder. depending what is causing the noise.

Give a better description of the noise, and where it is coming from. Then we may be able to give you advise as to weather or not a new furnace will help or make it worse.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Double post some how.
    Contractor locator map

If the air coming out of the vents is very loud, then it's an airflow issue. For example if the air flow/velocity is too great out of one vent then it's been setup wrong. If the noise is coming from where the unit is sucking in the air... "return air" then your return air duct is too short. It's not a problem besides the noise. If your unit is in a closet then no way to make a longer return, but when you purchase your next unit you can buy a Variable Speed fan. With this variable speed fan you can adjust your airflow. You can also try this on your current system, but your current system is only going to have 2-3 speeds instead of 14 or16 speeds on a variable speed fan. Goodluck

Ok, sorry about the pricing questions. I'll remove them if I can. EDIT: The mods removed the price related questions. Please disregard.

The noise is the unit and while it is louder at the primary return duct which is very short on the order of 4-5 feet, the blower is simply loud. It's not noisy at the vents.

The unit is in a utility closet and you can hear it from all directions. It's always been that way since it was new. It's a little louder in the winter due to the forced draft blower.

In trying to qualify it, it's on the order of magnitude of a vacuum cleaner running behind a lightweight door. However, it's more "white" noise than a high pitched vacuum whine.

The model for the development had a basement and I never noticed the HVAC noise.

I was at a relative's the other day and she lives in a prefab single story. The furnace is directly in the center of the living space. I was amazed at the output of A/C compared to the noise which was very tolerable. She has basically NO return. I opened the well ventilated closet and could see the filter directly on top of the unit and could feel it pull air in. However, I was still amazed at the low noise level.

Is it possible that the builder just used a really low end unit? Anyone familiar with the York Diamond 80 series from 12 years ago? Are they a basic unit that could be improved upon noise wise?

Thanks in advance. You help is appreciated.

Bill

You have a bit of a predicament with where and how your furnace is located and installed.

More then likely, sound absorbing materials and baffles properly placed in the return air plenum and any ducting on the return side will help tremendously with your problem.

If you are in the market for a new furnace, then a higher efficiency condensing furnace with a variable speef blower is the absolute best way for you to go. The higher efficiency furnaces have sealed combustion burner areas that lessen the sound of the burners and induced draft blower and the variable speed blower is just a lot quieter.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

The Diamond is not a overly quiet unit. But many are installed the same and not that loud.
    Sound liner may help.
    A new furnace may or may not be quieter.
    Contractor locator map

After just going through a simular experience. I replaced my old air handler (blower motor out) 14 years old, with a new variable speed.
    I have been completly satisfied with the replacement. I actually have to put my hands up to the register to see if it is running. I did not have the extra noise problem that you are having, but if I was to walk under the return grill I could hear the old fan spinning away.
    The soft start of the fan on the variable speed unit is really nice and makes for a more even cooling and heat.

Just my 2 cents worth..