Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I am opting for a Honeywell Electronic air filter. Sorry if I said Electrostatic.
    The metal electronic part of my floor Friedrich air cleaners are made by Honeywell.
    I am familiar with them and how to wash them once a month. I bet that part for the
    AC cleaner will look almost exactly the same as my $450 Friedrich air cleaner.

Is that too restrictive for airflow? Noise wise or whatever?

Also, should I wipe the inside of my ducts and see what comes out on the rag?

One contractor said that while they are doing the work, cleaning duct work for my small unit is about the cost of just replacing the duct work. (since they are there and could do it at the same time). I don't smell any smoke or anything when the heater kicks on.

Thanks.

PS. I'd rather montly wash out an electronic AC metal part (I do that now) and replace any fairly cheap other charcoal filters, than have to spend a lot of money monthly to replace AC filters that are passive with the "other" type of AC filtering. That can run into bucks.

So what's everyones take on AC electronic filtering? I know it puts out ozone and electronic systems tend to make everything "stick" to your walls. WHAT ABOUT AIRFLOW? AM I OK THERE?
    I wash down my entire condo every year or so.

Electronics are not overly restrictive. They are fine to use on any duct system that was reasonablly sized to begin with.
    If you are also going to use a post filter, then you will need your return duct and grille resized.

Duct cleanning may not get all the tar and nicotine out of the duct.
    Some duct cleaning systems, barely remove anything from the ductwork, let alone tar and nicotine.
    You would be better off having the duct replaced. That way they can resize it, if it is lacking or restricting air flow. Most duct systems are undersized.
    Ask them to do a static pressure test, to determine if your duct is sized properly.
    If you want it done right, the static test will help guide them in the right direction.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thanks. I will ask that of them. The ducts seem pretty well sized as it is now,
    but what do I know. They are big and round and well insulated.

Nevertheless, I will take off a grill or two and swipe them with some Simple Green cleaner with some water added.

What concerns me is that all major AC contractors that have visited here don't wanna get too tech.
    They size up everything visually. Perhaps this is because my unit is only 887 sq. ft.
    I betcha all the AC contractors that I have had visit will balk at doing some kinda technical test.

Static Pressure test. I'll ask them. I bet they BS me and tell me something or another.
    That's why I ask here.

I understand them having to do such a test on a two story 2000 sq ft. home. Mine is simply a
    887 sq. ft unit. 5 registers, a return grill. BTW, I'm having them replace them all with new AC type grills. Including the return grill. Count me in on being hip to that, for sure.

I'm a painting contractor and am a hands on guy. I can't be so hands on when it comes to AC install. It's not my area.

Many contractors call 16x8 duct, 2 ton duct work.
    Unless its really really short duct, thats undersized.
    Some say 18x8. Thats still small for many applications.

Size of system doesn't vary ductwork concerns. Ok, some contractors may think it does.
    Contractor locator map

It really IS short ductwork. And the ductwork, from what I've seen when I went into the attic is pretty good sized. Dude, we're talking that all the ductwork is contained in a pretty small area. That's how my condo was designed.

So hopefully, I'm OK with that. The only question is how greasy smokey is the duct work. I'll get back to you about that soon.

Damn, the hardest part was getting my HOA to approve my AC install.

I have just the dumbest of questions but I still hope someone will take pity an respond. AC filters have an arrow and the words "Air Flow" on them, at least mine do.......My head tells me "Air Flow" would mean to point that arrow towards the floor ( ceiling mounted filter register ) as the flow of air while the unit is running would be pushing out from the system. Could someone please advise on this, I'd appreciate the assistance and please try to excuse my ignorance.

Filter grilles in the ceiling intake air. So you would point the arrow up, away from the floor.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Filter grilles in the ceiling intake air. So you would point the arrow up, away from the floor.
    Thanks my friend, that's how I had it in spite of what my head said but needed to be sure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12