Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few questions before AC/Heater install

Post Likes

A few questions before AC/Heater install

I have a condo, 887 sq ft. I've gotten HOA approval to go ahead.

I have a few questions. The bid was made at least 10 weeks ago.
    Should I just call the installer and say "Go" or go over what we discussed
    and is in the contract, one more time?

Also, all 3 contractors who are major players in my area didn't do any J calculations. They just sized it up visually. After reading a poster here
    who is in my area and went with a 1.5 ton, he said his AC worked a bit too
    hard on a really hot day. The installer I'm going with suggests a 2 ton.

I'm going with that, as my condo is an upper unit above 2 garages. That's what he recommended. The heat really rises.

Another thing, I'm a smoker whose trying to quit, and my unit does not vent out my cooking fumes to the roof. Should I get up and take off a register
    and wipe it to see what accumulation of smoke and cooking fumes there are?
    I hear that it's almost the same to replace the duct work in my small unit as it is to have them cleaned (which wouldn't remove smoke in the first place).
    That is..have the duct work replaced while they are there in the attic.

I'm going with a Carrier 38HDR on my entry patio, and a Carrier Performance series for the heater. Also, I'm having a Honeywell electrostatic air cleaner installed. I'm locked into the 38HDR as that is what is in my HOA proposal, and I want that slim line unit anyways.

I even downloaded a .pdf of the install manual for the AC. I hope they follow all the procedures in that .pdf, even tho I bet most installers don't. (runnng final tests, etc).

I'm in San Diego, and the contractor is Avalanche Mechanical.

Edit: I did a crude computer calculation for my 887 sq. ft. The result was 1.8 ton, hehe.
    I think that's why I should go with a 2 ton? The heat is really retained in my condo.

Post Likes
    My guess is that you won't be getting the unit for the origonal price. 10 week's is too far out. Some contractors will honor a price for only two weeks. Everything's going up, so don't be suprised.

Post Likes
    Electrostatic air filters are very restrictive. They slow down air flow. They should also be cleaned every 30 days.

Post Likes
    Carrier HDR is a nice unit. They were just about mandatory in Newport Beach because of low sound requirements the city had in place. Tonnage sounds right for the s.f. and San Diego.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Electrostatic air filters are very restrictive. They slow down air flow. They should also be cleaned every 30 days.
    I have 2 Freidrich $440 floor model electrostatic air cleaners that I already clean out once a month. No biggie. I'm concerned about air flow restriction with
    the AC Honeywell. Can you expand on your reply? A serious air flow restriction resulting in noise or what?

Also, I WILL take off a register and wipe the duct with some cleaner to check the build up.

Post Likes
    If you have a 1.5 ton system in the condo now, do not have a 2 ton system put in. Your ducting will have been sized for what you have now and increasing capacity will only create problems.

You say that; "a poster here who is in my area and went with a 1.5 ton, he said his AC worked a bit too hard on a really hot day." Just what does this mean? Even if the system operated 24/7, if it maintained the desired temperature, it was not working too hard.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Could cause coil to freeze on low load days. Could cause damage to the compressor if it restricts air flow too much.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    If you have a 1.5 ton system in the condo now, do not have a 2 ton system put in. Your ducting will have been sized for what you have now and increasing capacity will only create problems.

You say that; "a poster here who is in my area and went with a 1.5 ton, he said his AC worked a bit too hard on a really hot day." Just what does this mean? Even if the system operated 24/7, if it maintained the desired temperature, it was not working too hard.
    No AC has been installed here, ever. As for that other poster, he was a bit concerned because his AC struggled to keep his same sq. ft condo as mine at
    77 degrees. Granted it was 94 F outside. He's having that checked out.
    He bought a York. He also said it was during a 2 hour period that his AC
    didn't go below 77F.

So, now...if I've never had an AC in my unit, are you saying that a 2 ton will cause problems?

I fully understand that an AC that constantly kicks off and on uses more juice than a unit that runs steadily. I got that from this forum. But like I said in my above post...my unit retains heat. It got down to 62F at midnight last night, the high that day was only 75F. At midnight, my condo was still at 80F. Do you still recommend I reconsider and go 1.5 instead of 2 ton?
    I know there's not enough facts for you to answer fully.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Could cause coil to freeze on low load days. Could cause damage to the compressor if it restricts air flow too much.
    Great...anyone else wanna concur..lol. I can always have the cleaner installed and yank out the electrostatic Honeywell part if I wanted to. If you know about filters, the electrostatic metal part is not that retrictive. I know because it's going to be basically the same Honeywell electrostatic metal part as what I have in my 2 Friedich air cleaners right now. They aren't that restrictive.

From previous replies to this question month ago, noone else seemed to think it was a concern. Are you saying that since my sq. footage is so small, it might be a problem? Or are you making a blanket statement about all such cleaners?

No offence. But with the few replies I've gotten, they represent a tiny percentage of possible replies. Again, no offense...but I'm just going to have to go with my own judgement.
    Your reply is almost alarmist with very little to back it up.

Post Likes
    with his statement regarding the EAC he might have thought you had one of those already charged types you purchase from a store that are the same size of regular filters the 1" type. A regular EAC should not hinder your Static.

Post Likes
    An electrostatic air filter, is not the same as an electronic.
    An electronic is ok.

Post Likes
    Whatever, Honeywell makes an electronic air filter for Friedrich. The main part you take out and put in a bathtub once a month. I own 2 $499 ones.

Who here is saying having one installed is a bad thing? I don't want guesses or could be's.
    How does that help anyone?

I may have erred temporarily in terminolgy. ELECTRONIC...geesh, Honeywell.

I doubt the participants replies have enough knowledge to actually do more than guess or give out unsubstantiated whims. Even tho there's lots of other good info here.

One forum member says an electronic AC filter "might" restrict air flow.
    What's one member's musings compared to the millions of electronic air filters installed?

Sometimes I wish I'd get more feedback. Not one dudes replies.

Are ANY of you replying actual AC contractor estimators?
    Not that's a big deal, but read back my original post and reply one part at a time.

I'm getting bits and pieces here, some useless. Hopefully, no offence.

Post Likes
    Terminology counts.
    Your terminology ask a question about one type of filter. But you really want info on another type.

The accuracy of most answers is directed related to you asking the question about what your really getting.

Electrostatic air filters are restrictive.
    ELECTRONIC are not.
    Unless your getting the Electronic with post filters.

Now, which one do you really want to know about. I've sold and installed both electrostatic and electronic.(electronic with and without post filters)

This site can do better, when asked questions with accurate info.

Post Likes
    I am opting for a Honeywell Electronic air filter. Sorry if I said Electrostatic.
    The metal electronic part of my floor Friedrich air cleaners are made by Honeywell.
    I am familiar with them and how to wash them once a month. I bet that part for the
    AC cleaner will look almost exactly the same as my $450 Friedrich air cleaner.

Is that too restrictive for airflow? Noise wise or whatever?

Also, should I wipe the inside of my ducts and see what comes out on the rag?

One contractor said that while they are doing the work, cleaning duct work for my small unit is about the cost of just replacing the duct work. (since they are there and could do it at the same time). I don't smell any smoke or anything when the heater kicks on.

Thanks.

PS. I'd rather montly wash out an electronic AC metal part (I do that now) and replace any fairly cheap other charcoal filters, than have to spend a lot of money monthly to replace AC filters that are passive with the "other" type of AC filtering. That can run into bucks.

So what's everyones take on AC electronic filtering? I know it puts out ozone and electronic systems tend to make everything "stick" to your walls. WHAT ABOUT AIRFLOW? AM I OK THERE?
    I wash down my entire condo every year or so.

Post Likes
    Electronics are not overly restrictive. They are fine to use on any duct system that was reasonablly sized to begin with.
    If you are also going to use a post filter, then you will need your return duct and grille resized.

Duct cleanning may not get all the tar and nicotine out of the duct.
    Some duct cleaning systems, barely remove anything from the ductwork, let alone tar and nicotine.
    You would be better off having the duct replaced. That way they can resize it, if it is lacking or restricting air flow. Most duct systems are undersized.
    Ask them to do a static pressure test, to determine if your duct is sized properly.
    If you want it done right, the static test will help guide them in the right direction.

Post Likes
    Thanks. I will ask that of them. The ducts seem pretty well sized as it is now,
    but what do I know. They are big and round and well insulated.

Nevertheless, I will take off a grill or two and swipe them with some Simple Green cleaner with some water added.

What concerns me is that all major AC contractors that have visited here don't wanna get too tech.
    They size up everything visually. Perhaps this is because my unit is only 887 sq. ft.
    I betcha all the AC contractors that I have had visit will balk at doing some kinda technical test.

Static Pressure test. I'll ask them. I bet they BS me and tell me something or another.
    That's why I ask here.

I understand them having to do such a test on a two story 2000 sq ft. home. Mine is simply a
    887 sq. ft unit. 5 registers, a return grill. BTW, I'm having them replace them all with new AC type grills. Including the return grill. Count me in on being hip to that, for sure.

I'm a painting contractor and am a hands on guy. I can't be so hands on when it comes to AC install. It's not my area.

Post Likes
    Many contractors call 16x8 duct, 2 ton duct work.
    Unless its really really short duct, thats undersized.
    Some say 18x8. Thats still small for many applications.

Size of system doesn't vary ductwork concerns. Ok, some contractors may think it does.

Post Likes
    It really IS short ductwork. And the ductwork, from what I've seen when I went into the attic is pretty good sized. Dude, we're talking that all the ductwork is contained in a pretty small area. That's how my condo was designed.

So hopefully, I'm OK with that. The only question is how greasy smokey is the duct work. I'll get back to you about that soon.

Damn, the hardest part was getting my HOA to approve my AC install.

Post Likes
    I have just the dumbest of questions but I still hope someone will take pity an respond. AC filters have an arrow and the words "Air Flow" on them, at least mine do.......My head tells me "Air Flow" would mean to point that arrow towards the floor ( ceiling mounted filter register ) as the flow of air while the unit is running would be pushing out from the system. Could someone please advise on this, I'd appreciate the assistance and please try to excuse my ignorance.

Post Likes
    Filter grilles in the ceiling intake air. So you would point the arrow up, away from the floor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in