Thread: IAQ v. Comfortsense 7000 v. TCONT803 T-stats

Post Likes

IAQ v. Comfortsense 7000 v. TCONT803 T-stats

I'm closing in on three Lennox XC16 or possibly XC19 (one 4-T and two 2-T) split systems as part of a major facelift on our home which has an old and dead 4400 sf Coal Tar Pitch built-up flat roof which will be totally taken down to deck and replaced with seamless sprayed on Bayer Polyurethane roof [SPF] which will require high-end A/C systems to control humidity inside of the house. Trane LX19i or LX21i is a long shot at this time but remains in the running.

I’ve not been able to acquire a specific and clear comparison of the Honeywell IAQ, Lennox Comfortsense 7000, and Trane TCONT803 t-stats or a first hand recommendation based on personal experience with each, and local dealer advice appears to be limited to models which match A-C brands with little relative value being given to the IAQ.

I would greatly appreciate comments that compare and contrast the Honeywell VisionPRO IAQ with the Lennox Comfortsense 7000 and the Trane TCONT803 t-stats in terms of their effectiveness in controlling Two-Stage Variable Speed Gas Furnaces which will match the respective compressors?

Thanks
    Doc

p.s. This place rocks for a newbie who knows little about modern HVAC technology! You guys are ramping me up quite nicely for assessing incredibly variable proposals from a number of dealers who seem more interested in signing a contract than in truly determining and servicing my needs.

Post Likes
    Hi critterdoc. You already are aware that the VP IAQ can slow down the blower. Trane's TCONT803 (Honeywell VP 8321) can overcool up to a point to dehumidify. Personally, since you have the v/s blower, I'd go with a t-stat that can slow down the blower, which I believe you plan on doing. Not sure if the ComfortSense 7000 can slow down the blower, but since it's Lennox's top t-stat, I've gotta believe it can do something to control humidity. Lennox's v/s blowers can be set up to run special dehumidification ramp profiles; however, you may not need them with dehumidification on demand with the t-stat. Hope this helps. Hope some Dave Lennox dealers can fill you in on the capabilities of Lennox's ComfortSense 7000.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Trane's TCONT803 (Honeywell VP 8321) can overcool up to a point to dehumidify.
    Pls explain "overcool up to a point to dehumidify." Does that imply increased cooling of air without changing blower speed?

Post Likes
    What are you doing to the rest of your home that is cutting infiltration down that you thing humidity will be a problem.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by critterdoc View Post
    Pls explain "overcool up to a point to dehumidify." Does that imply increased cooling of air without changing blower speed?
    If, once the t-stat has reached it's temp setpoint, the humidity setpoint is not reached, then the t-stat will run the cooling to dehumidify I believe up to 3 degrees.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    What are you doing to the rest of your home that is cutting infiltration down that you thing humidity will be a problem.
    Not sure what you are asking, BT. Please explain what you mean by "cutting infiltration down."

We live in south Louisiana where humidity is a killer even on a good day. If I understand the new technology, the variable speed blowers matched with high efficiency AC units will reduce mold growth greatly as well as increasing the comfort level at any given air temp. The commercial roofer that has offered to install the SPF roof on my house stressed that controlling humidity inside of the house with a modern A-C system is important for the roof itself, presumably to limit moisture from rising vertically and effecting the foam itself. I had the distinct impression that he would not install the SPF roof unless I upgraded my entire A-C system but A-C rebuild was in the cards even before I met the roofer. I must assume that he knows his stuff because he is the guy who replaced the roof on the Louisiana Super Dome after Katrina kicked it's butt.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    If, once the t-stat has reached it's temp setpoint, the humidity setpoint is not reached, then the t-stat will run the cooling to dehumidify I believe up to 3 degrees.
    Is that to say that if the t-stat is set to 72 and the humidity is above it's set point, then the stat will take the temp down to 69 until the humidity hits it's target point?

Post Likes
    Basically, its the same spray foam that is used to insulate inside walls. But has a 70 to 80% spray over lap.

Unless its sealing your house that less outdoor air can get inside(infiltration), it won't effect your humidity.

Not saying don't get 2 stage, just wondering why you said its required.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by critterdoc View Post
    Is that to say that if the t-stat is set to 72 and the humidity is above it's set point, then the stat will take the temp down to 69 until the humidity hits it's target point?
    Yes, it will lower the temperature by up to 3 degrees to control the humidity. It's overcooling rather than slowing the blower down to remove the humidity.

Post Likes
    yes that is what the tcon803 will do but it can be changed to 1 2 or 3 degrees, i would use the honeywell iaq

Post Likes
    i am a lennox dealer and we use the IAQ on all of our high end systems.

just personally like it better than the comfortsense and we don't have to run new wires for it.
    other thing is the IAQ relays are all on the module board so the t stat itself is silent.

Post Likes
    Both the TCON803, Honeywell TH8321 can do cool to dehumidiy, which allows from 1 to 3° of over cooling. But have no ability to slow the blower.

The Honeywell IAQ(YTH9421) also does cool to dehumidify, with the same adjustable range of over cooling, but can also slow the VS blower to do more moisture remove then it does lowering of the temp.

With the TCON803, and HW TH8321, you will hear the thermostats click everytime they turn the heat and or A/C on or off.
    With the IAQ, the module that vlixks is installed at the furnace/air handler, the thermostat on the wall does not click.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Basically, its the same spray foam that is used to insulate inside walls. But has a 70 to 80% spray over lap.

Unless its sealing your house that less outdoor air can get inside(infiltration), it won't effect your humidity.

Not saying don't get 2 stage, just wondering why you said its required.
    I'm still not clear on what you are saying. Are you suggesting that the roof itself "won't effect [the] humidity"? If that is the case, then I would agree that the effect of the roof on the humidity within the house will be nil, but I would worry that uncontrolled humidity could effect the roof.

I believe that the concern over humidity has more to do with warranty and the long term integrity of the SPF than anything. I did not question the roofer's comment because the expectation was only mentioned as a secondary item when the A-C plan was discussed in the presence of the roofing contractor and it made sense when he said it. Presumably, the requirement has to do with water vapor condensation being a potential problem within the SPF roof itself as absolute humidity rises inside of the house. In a sense, would not the dehumidification potential of the evaporator coil serve as a virtual water vapor retarder by increasing the amount of water vapor that is exiting the building by way of the coil and the condensate drain?

Post Likes
    Dehimidifing is a good thing. I'm just not sure how the indoor humidity is going to effect the insulation.

Is the insulation going to be exposed inside the house.

Post Likes
    I compared the exact stats you are considering prior to my new dual fuel system purchase. Go with the Honeywell IAQ. I did and it is an awesome stat for controlling humidity on a VS Lennox blower. I have a Lennox XP 19 HP and Lennox VS furnace which the IAQ controls beautifully. It slows the blower down on my new Lennox furnace to 10% of full speed to reduce humidity once temp set point is reached. The controls are simple and easy to understand. zero regrets on that decision.

Post Likes
    Well it looks like IAQ is the way to go. Go raibh maith agaibh.

In the users manual, p. 19, dehumidity control states "If you don’t have a dehumidifier, the thermostat activates the air conditioner to reduce humidity (may cool as much as 3°F lower than your temperature setting) but I find no reference to lowering humidity by ramping down the variable fan speed. Is blower speed control an automatic function that is invoked with DIP stitch settings or by some other method or is it otherwise user controlled at the t-stat by some setting which I am missing?

Does lowering the temperature set point occur in concert with slowing blower speed when the humidity set point is exceeded.

Do humidity reduction functions operate fully when the fan is set to <ON> or must the t-stat be set to <AUTO>. We've become accustomed to constant air circulation when we are in the house

Post Likes
    Constant fan on causes high humidity.
    With the IAQ, you cn set the fan to circ. It will run the fan rough 35&#37; of the time.
    Cool to dehumidify, is something that is enabled in the installer set up.
    Same with the blower slow down.
    Over cool only happens when the humidity is above set point. It will slow the blower any time its calling for cooling and the humidity is above set point.

Post Likes
    Timely thread for me.

I am getting a new Lennox system installed next week and was wondering about the Lennox Comfortsense 7000 thermostat versus the IAQ everybody here seems pleased with.

Talked to my installer today and he reports the 7000 is new on the market and his repair crew has already had a couple break down. He spoke to another Lennox dealer who reported the same thing. He called me to suggest the Honeywell VisionPro TH8321, but based on the advice in this forum I asked for an upgrade to the IAQ TH9421.

Thanks for the help from the pros here.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in