Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Sorry spoke before I read.
    Last edited by meoberry; 07-04-2008 at 03:20 AM. Reason: Didn'finish reading all the posts.

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycuz View Post
    I thought the tech told me that the insulated one was supposed to be hot. Anyway, both are cold but the little skinny one is sweating now, both on the outside and on the inside. I'm even including pics. It's sweating so bad that it's dripping. The insulated one is kind of neutral really, maybe a little on the cool side but definitely not hot. I just turned it back on about an hour ago. Doesn't seem to be cooling but I thought I'd wait until the coolest part of the day (night) and see if it could get a head start or something.

Is this a heat pump? The reason I ask is that if so then it sounds like you have a reversing valve problem.
    "Do not let what you can't do interfere with what you can do"

"Do what you can do the best that it can be done and no one will ever know what you can't do"

Quote Originally Posted by skorepeo View Post
    Is this a heat pump? The reason I ask is that if so then it sounds like you have a reversing valve problem.
    I've got the outside AC unit and the inside heat unit. It was cooling slightly but then eventually stopped, and the lines quit sweating when it stopped cooling, so I just turned it back off again.

I've got the outside AC unit and the inside heat unit. It was cooling slightly but then eventually stopped, and the lines quit sweating when it stopped cooling, so I just turned it back off again.

Is the inside heat unit a gas heater?
    "Do not let what you can't do interfere with what you can do"

"Do what you can do the best that it can be done and no one will ever know what you can't do"

Quote Originally Posted by skorepeo View Post
    Is the inside heat unit a gas heater?
    No, it's electric.

You need a sesoned service man. Sounds like you have a restriction if both lines are sweating.

Quote Originally Posted by meoberry View Post
    You need a sesoned service man. Sounds like you have a restriction if both lines are sweating.
    The last tech fixed two block orifices (one on the inside and one on the outside). I just think the compressor is shot. He said that it could be since it had been like that for so long. It's been "sickly" for 2-3 weeks now. I think if it had been caught sooner, it would've been okay but it's just went on too long now. My big dilemma is that the "bad" tech people will have a compressor for me tomorrow and the "good" tech guy won't be able to get one until Wednesday. I don't mean to be a whiny baby but my son and I both are sick now b/c of this heat (bronchitis). It's staying 88-89 degrees in the house, with all the windows open and fans going everywhere. The humidity outside is 80% right now. It's just miserable. I know it could be worse so I'll quit whining just venting I guess.

One thing I've wondered though ... the orifices were full of thick oily gunk. Does that build up like that or could that mean that something else is wrong with it? I don't know if it's had proper maintenance or not b/c I haven't lived here that long.

Possibly a compressor burnt out. Non-condensables in the system....

Have you had your new and improved tech out to look at it yet?
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    Possibly a compressor burnt out. Non-condensables in the system....

Have you had your new and improved tech out to look at it yet?
    No, everybody's been out of the office b/c of the holiday. I'm calling him in the morning.

The last tech fixed two block orifices (one on the inside and one on the outside). I just think the compressor is shot. He said that it could be since it had been like that for so long. It's been "sickly" for 2-3 weeks now. I think if it had been caught sooner, it would've been okay but it's just went on too long now. My big dilemma is that the "bad" tech people will have a compressor for me tomorrow and the "good" tech guy won't be able to get one until Wednesday. I don't mean to be a whiny baby but my son and I both are sick now b/c of this heat (bronchitis). It's staying 88-89 degrees in the house, with all the windows open and fans going everywhere. The humidity outside is 80% right now. It's just miserable. I know it could be worse so I'll quit whining just venting I guess.

One thing I've wondered though ... the orifices were full of thick oily gunk. Does that build up like that or could that mean that something else is wrong with it? I don't know if it's had proper maintenance or not b/c I haven't lived here that long.
    Thick oily gunk? What color? If its dark then more than likely compressor windings. Driers a must. liquid and suction. Need to make sure that they test for acid. Wouldn't be a bad idea to flush condensor,line set and indoor coil. Keep eye on suction drier for next few months to make sure it is not getting a ice buildup. Call for service as soon as you see ice building up on suction drier.

Hey there everybody! My mother was in a bad wreck on Wednesday and broke her back. Not a bad break, if there's such a thing. She had surgery this morning and is doing really well. That's why I haven't been around. Good thing I got the AC fixed b/c she'll be with me for a few days when she gets out of the hospital.

I got a new compressor on Tuesday. It's working well. I can't even remember what all I was going to tell you about it. He put on this blue pump looking thing (dryer vent) or something like that b/c he said whenever you "crack open a system" you should put one of those on, even though he suctioned it out well. I think I did right. I know that I could've gotten a whole new system, but hopefully this will last awhile. It's cooling GREAT, and that's all I know right now!

Lisa

good deal....

hope all goes well with the mom and the AC
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

My best wishes for your mother hope for a speedy recovery. Glad they got your A/C fixed.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast