Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I have not been to the lake since they lowered it. This weekend may be a big dissapointment, but it's the last hurrah for the boat anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by phbsales View Post
    Definitely have the tech recover the refrigerant and check for a blocked screen or other restriction. But you still may need that compressor.
    yeah....

If the tech says the valves are bad, then you will need a new compressor.

HOWEVER, the tech also said about a restriction........there are other ways to test for a restriction other than just pumping down and opening up.

That is what raises my red flag. My next question would be did he really attempt to pump it down? If so, did he do it properly? Or was he hoping that by telling you that your compressor is bad that you will automatically purchase a new unit. Sad to say but it does happen.

These would be my questions. Don't be afraid to get another opinion. Its your right to do so. And by doing so, your just verifying that your original technician properly diagnosed that system.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Quote Originally Posted by phbsales View Post
    I have not been to the lake since they lowered it. This weekend may be a big dissapointment, but it's the last hurrah for the boat anyway.
    Nah, you won't be disappointed. It was bad in the beginning but the boat docks have compensated. I know the local ones around here have added on to their ramps and some have had to move some of the docks out a little b/c it became too shallow. If you had any small out-of-the-way holes that you liked to keep your boat at, they're probably gone, but there's new ones that have been created. We've still had just as many tourists as before. The biggest thing that's been affected, IMO, are the local spots - small spots where locals hang out and swim.. You know, the ones we 'hide' from the Buckeyes...LOL. J/K --- I'm a buckeye too really. Born and raised in Youngstown, if you've ever heard of it. Hellhole, actually, but I was reared there. I'm a survivor!! :-) I'm attaching a pic of one of the dried up spots that my son took and one of the tunnels that was uncovered. There's been a lot of stuff that has been revealed b/c of the lowering. If you didn't know, Lake Cumberland used to be towns. They've uncovered cemeteries (that were supposed to have been moved), churches, old shacks, and cars. You won't see that out on the bigger parts of the lake though. You'll have a blast!!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    yeah....

If the tech says the valves are bad, then you will need a new compressor.

HOWEVER, the tech also said about a restriction........there are other ways to test for a restriction other than just pumping down and opening up.

That is what raises my red flag. My next question would be did he really attempt to pump it down? If so, did he do it properly? Or was he hoping that by telling you that your compressor is bad that you will automatically purchase a new unit. Sad to say but it does happen.
    Yea, these are all my fears. He said that the fact that it wouldn't pump down meant that the valves were bad. I don't know if there's another way to test the valves or anything, but they weren't tested. It was "won't pump down = bad valves" kind of thing. He didn't try any other way to test for a restriction. And he was the one that said that I'd have to buy a whole new unit b/c you couldn't buy a 10 compressor anymore. IDK, I feel uneasy. I know I'll call somebody tomorrow --- don't know if I'll call another company or the same one and just ask for the initial tech that came out. I think he was honest and competent. He was the one that suggested moisture in the first place.

Okay, my current questions: Is there a way to test for bad valves other than assuming they are bad b/c it won't pump down?

and ...
    What other ways are there to test for restriction? Anything that I can ask for specifically?

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycuz View Post
    Yea, these are all my fears. He said that the fact that it wouldn't pump down meant that the valves were bad. I don't know if there's another way to test the valves or anything, but they weren't tested. It was "won't pump down = bad valves" kind of thing. He didn't try any other way to test for a restriction. And he was the one that said that I'd have to buy a whole new unit b/c you couldn't buy a 10 compressor anymore. IDK, I feel uneasy. I know I'll call somebody tomorrow --- don't know if I'll call another company or the same one and just ask for the initial tech that came out. I think he was honest and competent. He was the one that suggested moisture in the first place.

Okay, my current questions: Is there a way to test for bad valves other than assuming they are bad b/c it won't pump down?

and ...
    What other ways are there to test for restriction? Anything that I can ask for specifically?
    No need for specific questions. Just call a different contractor. Tell them you don't trust contractor number 1 and would like them to send a tech out to verify the failure and troubleshoot the system.

Yes there are ways to check for restrictions.....other than what he attempted.

And SEER rating has nothing to do with the compressor. I replaced a compressor in a 38 year old condenser about 3 weeks ago. So you see, you can put a new compressor into anything. The question that arises is what caused the compressor failure. And how can it be prevented again.....

If I were you, I would tell your current contractor that you do not want to replace the compressor until you get a second opinion from another company. Cause you don't need to be home to have the compressor replaced.....at least not for them to start. And it would a really interesting day if you came home for lunch and there's a tech in your yard with your unit already disassembled......I've seen it done before. And I'm sure I'll see it again.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

When the tech comes to replace the compressor, have him weigh the recovery tank as he's pulling the refrigerant out. If it weighs much more than the data plate says it should ask him to weigh in the proper charge before condemning the compressor. Actually if he just restarts the compressor momentarily after removing the charge he will be able to tell if the valves are broken because it will not pull into a vac. He should be willing to do at least that much. I would, it only takes a couple minutes extra. But then again I would know for certain at this point if it was overcharged or bad valves
    You can't fix stupid

OMG --- I think it's fixed!!! I did what you guys told me to ... I called a different company. I just got so fed up and had such an uneasy feeling. I probably wouldn't have though, if it hadn't been for you guys.

I told the guy everything that had happened and what you guys, my out-of-state bros , had said. I swear, it was like talking to one of you. He was very direct and matter-of-fact in everything he said. He just started shaking his head when I told him that the guy said that the valves were bad b/c it wouldn't pump down. He didn't bash the other techs or anything but he simply said, "He's wrong." Just like you guys did! He listened to everything I said and didn't dismiss anything as irrelevant. He mentioned that it sounded like it could be overcharged. Then, he asked me if they pumped freon out to look for a restriction. When I told him no, he just shook his head again. So, that's what he did. He found a very terribly clogged orifice (sp?) on the inside unit. He showed it to me, explained how it would affect the system. He cleaned it and sprayed nitrogen in it. Had it looking like brand new. The orifice in the outside unit was even worse but he got it good and clean too and cleaned the outside coils.

It's still 83 degrees in here but he said that it probably wouldn't be normal until after dark. It feels better tho but he said that was b/c it was pulling the humidity out. The last time he measured the temp coming out of the vents, it was at 69 and still dropping. That sure beats the 3 degrees difference from before!! He even told me what to tell the other company (b/c they've already ordered the compressor) if they try to tell me that I still have to pay for it.

The bad part is that he said that the compressor probably won't last too long b/c there's been damage done where it wasn't diagnosed earlier. He said that he could tell that b/c of the pressure doing something, I forget .. coming down too fast or going up too fast or something like that. He said that it may go out next week or in 2 years but he'd be surprised if it lasted any longer than that. He said that it would've been fine if they'd diagnosed it correctly in the first place and that there wasn't any reason for them not to b/c it was standard procedure to do the things that he did. He even guessed what company had told me that I needed a new compressor. He said that they never send the same tech out to the same house and that each tech does the same thing as the one before....which is exactly what ticked me off about them in the first place b/c I kept telling the 2nd guy that the 1st guy had already checked the stuff that he was checking.

Anyway, in the end, I've had 3 diff companies come out here and had 4 diff techs look at it. I've spent enough in those four visits to pay for a third of a new compressor. What kills me is that I still may have to buy a new compressor anyway! BUT....I've def found my new HVAC guy :-) and company. The last company I called --- and it's a mom-n-pop shop too and not a big company. You just never know I guess.

Well, I feel good about all of this, so I sure hope none of you find any of this suspicious. I've learned to listen to you guys though!!!!

Lisa

PS----We'll see if it cools tonight.

Cool

Glad to hear you found a good technician

We aint just pretty faces you know.....

Glad to hear you found a tech you can trust. Glad to hear your up and running.

And I bet you were typin like a maniac to tell us all that we steered you in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    We aint just pretty faces you know.....

Glad to hear you found a tech you can trust. Glad to hear your up and running.

And I bet you were typin like a maniac to tell us all that we steered you in the right direction.

Yes, I was!! I told you guys before I called my mother! LOL I'm a little worried though b/c it's still 83 degrees in here. It does feel much better though. I just checked and the temp outside is only 84 so that's not a big difference at all. It's very humid though with an oncoming storm. I think it's like 60% or so. I hope it's fixed. I have faith in this guy, which is what really counts to me, but he did say that I might still have to buy a compressor. Still, I'll write him a check for a compressor with a smile over the other tricky guys.

It really makes me angry to think of the others jerking me around the way they did. If they'd have fixed it in the first place, I'd have been okay. I know that they have the power to take advantage but don't they have the intelligence to know that word of mouth is the best advertisement? You can't get that from screwing customers! I'm a firm believer in Karma! I hope you guys don't think I'm flaming your profession b/c I'm not, just flaming those that took advantage ... venting is therapeutic. There's good and bad in everybody, and lessons are learned hard. I've told everybody I know about this website too and how great you guys are !!

Okay ... so, I've always described myself as very patient ... and not spoiled at all ... BUT ... when will my house cool down???? LOL After a week without AC, I've decided that I AM spoiled. Three of my fish have died too!! I think they boiled!

Lisa ... sitting under my vent ... waiting

I give. I just turned it off AGAIN. 3 1/2 hours later and it actually went up a degree in here. I guess the compressor is shot. The saddest thing is the "bad" company will have my compressor on Monday but the "good" company will just be able to order it on Monday. I'm so sad.

I felt of the metal line things on the outside unit and the skinny one is cold but the bigger one isn't hot at all. Shouldn't it be hot?

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycuz View Post
    I give. I just turned it off AGAIN. 3 1/2 hours later and it actually went up a degree in here. I guess the compressor is shot. The saddest thing is the "bad" company will have my compressor on Monday but the "good" company will just be able to order it on Monday. I'm so sad.

I felt of the metal line things on the outside unit and the skinny one is cold but the bigger one isn't hot at all. Shouldn't it be hot?
    No the big one should not be hot. It should be the cold one. Sounds like your compressor isn't running. Possibly out on internal overload. Or it could be out on a pressure switch.

Give it a little time and try it again. If it comes on, great. Call your new guy up and tell him its acting up and you need his magic.

I thought the tech told me that the insulated one was supposed to be hot. Anyway, both are cold but the little skinny one is sweating now, both on the outside and on the inside. I'm even including pics. It's sweating so bad that it's dripping. The insulated one is kind of neutral really, maybe a little on the cool side but definitely not hot. I just turned it back on about an hour ago. Doesn't seem to be cooling but I thought I'd wait until the coolest part of the day (night) and see if it could get a head start or something.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast