Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC2B View Post
    you don't have to quit hanging around just because your air is fixed we argue about anything
    LOL --- I never even got any of those applications filled out either!! LOL

I'm a teacher, by the way, so if anybody has any questions about their kid's education ---- I can answer them

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    if the system was way overcharged it wont pump down either i would get a second opion
    Oh, I knew my confident feeling wouldn't last long LOL. Okay, what is overcharged? Is that too much freon? If so, wouldn't that be easy to test?

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycuz View Post
    Oh, I knew my confident feeling wouldn't last long LOL. Okay, what is overcharged? Is that too much freon? If so, wouldn't that be easy to test?
    yes,too much refrigerant-that was my initial thought from cyberspace
    This is easily fixed by any competant technician,ask your contractor to try this first.Tell them that your brother wanted them to check it out
    The government works for me. I do not answer to them, they answer to me.

we need a few more sheep dogs to keep barking at the wolves,and the stupid sheep

A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

I would not waste my money on that company. If they dont know what is wrong with equipment than maybe they should not be doing this type of work to begin with. Thats true about seer ratings but you can still have a system that cools without actually getting the seer rating. One of the techs at your house said moisture in system, and I agree. If it became noisy like the way u said it did I would be willing to bet that there are non condensibles in the system. A good recovery, vacuum, recharge by somebody that knows what they are doing could take care of the problem.

That's true. You guys are right. It's certainly worth checking out before I buy a whole new compressor. I did like that tech the best, the one that mentioned moisture in the system. The last two techs were from the same company but I didn't care for the 2nd one as much. He's the one that said the compressor was bad. I think he got irritated at me b/c he thought I was telling him what to do. I simply told him that my "tech relative" asked me to ask him to check for a blocked screen b/c he'd seen that several times in my particular system. I always kind of smile and just say that "he" is trying to take care of me. Well, it took him an hour before he told me that it did seem like there was restriction. I asked him if that could be a blocked screen, and he said yes He spent quite awhile checking the thermostat too and I told him that it had just been replaced back around Christmas, by my "friend who is an electrician". He still hooked all this stuff up to it and then finally said, "Well, it's hooked up right." I'm not lying about my friend either. He's a very good electrician with 30+ years experience, but he lost a finger this past winter and now his son is in the hospital b/c he had a heart attack, so I wouldn't dare bother him about all of this. It's a fine line I guess but I don't think the 2nd tech guy liked me asking him to check certain things. I promise I was nice about it though.

I'll call again tomorrow and ask for them to come out and check to see if it's overcharged before they put in a compressor. I'll also ask him about what the first tech was going to do with the freon: empty it, vacuum for air, and then refill. It can't hurt. What's the worst that could happen? I spend a little bit more money? Worth the risk if it could possibly save me lots. I might could still get my driveway!!

Lisa

PS --- Is that the same thing? Being overcharged and doing the "empty, vacuum, refill" routine? I mean, if it was overcharged, could they tell simply by hooking up a gauge or something or would they have to empty, vacuum, and refill?

Overcharged sounds like a plausable issue.

Recover, Vacuum and Recharge would be worth a try. You never know what could happen. May turn out to be a good thing to try. Maybe get another company out to try it.

As far as you asking a lot of questions.....thats what we like. We want to help those that want to accept our help. Its when we get posters that want to rant and piss and moan and call us all crooks and theives and talk sh!t about our lives that really gets to us. I'm sure you've read other posts where it turned into a mini-war(which we always win...power to the people).

Where are you located? There is a good chance that there is a professional member of this site that is in your general area that would be more than happy to come to your aid. But we gots to know where you hide first. Just a thought.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post

Recover, Vacuum and Recharge would be worth a try. You never know what could happen. May turn out to be a good thing to try. Maybe get another company out to try it.

As far as you asking a lot of questions.....thats what we like. We want to help those that want to accept our help. Its when we get posters that want to rant and piss and moan and call us all crooks and theives and talk sh!t about our lives that really gets to us. I'm sure you've read other posts where it turned into a mini-war(which we always win...power to the people).

Where are you located? There is a good chance that there is a professional member of this site that is in your general area that would be more than happy to come to your aid. But we gots to know where you hide first. Just a thought.
    hell,I thought for sure that Twilli and Bon Jovi would be on ther way
    The government works for me. I do not answer to them, they answer to me.

we need a few more sheep dogs to keep barking at the wolves,and the stupid sheep

A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

I don't know about getting another company to do the recovery thing. I'd feel like I was cheating on them - LOL. Besides, I already agreed to have them order the compressor. They're not coming back until it comes in. It wouldn't make them mad if I called today to ask them if he could go ahead and try the recovery thing?

Yea, I've read just a few of the other posts. To be honest, I've been pretty self-centered and just worrying about my own problems. I did call the very first tech that came to my house an idiot. BUT, he WAS! I did get caught up in the "I got ripped off ..." post. Reminded me of some of the parents I deal with at school - LOL. Most of my parents are good, but some ... there's always some, I guess. I agree with you about the pissing and moaning part. There's a lot of people out there that think teachers have it made. They've never dealt with my kids LOL (my students)! I teach high school special education, mostly behavior problems. Schools are like war zones anymore. I love my job but it is stressful. I take their problems to heart too much. It's just how I am. Teachers have to get a master's degree to keep their jobs yet my yearly salary isn't half what my student loan is. Always something I guess. I value anybody's dedication to a profession, no matter what it is.

I doubt there's anybody around me, but I live in Somerset, Ky. It's in southcentral KY. Not a huge town but not tiny either. There's only about 3-4 major HVAC companies in the town (I've been seen by 2 and spoke to a 3rd --- only really trust one). There's a lot of mom-n-pop shops. Which, I have no qualms about that b/c my previous electrician was one of the greatest and smartest guys in the world. I trusted him totally. He had a company but it was just him and his son. With that said, if you don't have firsthand knowledge or know somebody that has dealt with them, you're on very shaky ground going to a mom-n-pop shop. But anyway, I live in Somerset, Ky ... about 2 hours south of Lexington. (haha-I was born in Ohio but I'm southern enough to measure distance by time). Anybody near me??

Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC2B View Post
    hell,I thought for sure that Twilli and Bon Jovi would be on ther way
    No, no Twilli, no Bon Jovi I'm more of a Rod Stewart fanatic anyway

Just checking again before I call ---

In the tech's words: it seems like a restriction, it wouldn't pump down (which meant bad valves), the pressure went up when he disconnected the unit, and it bled back through the compressor

Does all of that sound like it could be overcharged?

To the lake!!!

It does sound like bad valves, if the unit won't pump down. As the compressor is being replaced and the refrigerant system is open to the atmosphere, the technician should check the screen and the remainder of the system for restrictions.

I'm passing right through there (Somerset) tomorrow night. Taking the boat to Lake Cumberland (Jamestown) for the last time before I sell it with gas prices the way they are.

Quote Originally Posted by phbsales View Post
    It does sound like bad valves, if the unit won't pump down. As the compressor is being replaced and the refrigerant system is open to the atmosphere, the technician should check the screen and the remainder of the system for restrictions.

I'm passing right through there (Somerset) tomorrow night. Taking the boat to Lake Cumberland (Jamestown) for the last time before I sell it with gas prices the way they are.
    Yea, good ole Lake Cumberland. It's the best -- well, if only we had sandy beaches instead of rocks! Have you been through since they lowered the water level? So sad. All of the small "local" lake hang-outs have pretty much dried out. I worked at Conley Bottom Dock in Monticello, Ky to get through college! Never knew anybody that went all the way to Jamestown. There's so many different marinas and docks to choose from. Hope you have a fun and safe holiday!! Shame you have to sell but it's understandable. By the way, I think TN has cheaper gas than KY does.

Should I have the tech do the empty, vacuum, and refill freon thing before he puts in the new compressor? Just to see if that fixes it first?

Definitely have the tech recover the refrigerant and check for a blocked screen or other restriction. But you still may need that compressor.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast