Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I bought this house about 10 months ago. It was built in 1999 and since the unit was man in 1999, I'm assuming it was the original installed by the builders. I have no idea who built it, and I make the 3rd owner. I'd say my chances at a warranty would be useless, but who would I even ask? Would the service tech know? I've looked up Copeland compressor warranties online and keep finding diff numbers, but they all talk about wholesale buyers.

I'm still confused by the diff names! Copeland, Carrier --- I thought they'd be the same. Is Carrier the heater and Copeland the AC? and will I really have to replace both if mine is a 10 SEER?

Quote Originally Posted by smittyii View Post
    i'm pretty sure its a 10 seer. at 9 yrs old i would consider replacing the compressor. depending on usage you may get several years use out of it. it really depends on what caused the failure. the tech should be able to tell if its a burnout, open or shorted windings etc.. it would help if you have paperwork, startup date,warranty info.... good luck.

No, he didn't know. I asked him why it happened, and he said that some just don't last that long. I told him that I thought they should be good for 15 years or so, and he said some last that long, some last 10 and he'd even seen some last only 1 year. Should I press it --- the reason why it failed? The way he talked was that I will have to buy the whole entire unit, heat and air, b/c of the 10 seer thing.

the correct copeland compressor is still available as far as i know, what did his invoice say about the compressor? if he condemned it he should put a suspected cause. its true that some units last longer than others,but if its only the compressor it may be worth just repairing.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

Cool

Copeland is the brand of the compressor that is in a Carrier unit, other brands such as Goodman/York use copeland compressors in their units as well... If you don't replace the compressor, you will have to replace the inside and outside portions of the unit because the new efficiency standard is 13 seer and your maybe 10 or 12 seer equipment will not be compatible... Another thing is not knowing what caused the problem.. if the metering device in your unit is let's say clogged and the refrigerant in the system wouldnt be able to move freely then this could've caused your compressor to go out, so you might have to change the metering device after installing the compressor... Compressors do wear out on their own, or bad capacitor whatever just letting you know it's possible..

Quote Originally Posted by smittyii View Post
    the correct copeland compressor is still available as far as i know, what did his invoice say about the compressor? if he condemned it he should put a suspected cause. its true that some units last longer than others,but if its only the compressor it may be worth just repairing.
    It just says "bad compressor" -- I asked him why it went bad and he said idk. I did ask them if the "blocked screen" could've caused it since it went on so long without being diagnosed. He said no. I'll ask the supervisor tomorrow when I talk to him about their bid.

So, is it possible to replace the compressor, even tho it is a 10 seer, without replacing the whole thing (heat and air)? He said that he couldn't put anything in it except a 13 and then that would make it incompatible with my 10 inside unit. Can you still buy a 10 compressor?

5 year warranty.....

heres the information.....

http://www.docs.hvacpartners.com/idc.../49004dp19.pdf

Sorry bout your luck
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycuz View Post
    It just says "bad compressor" -- I asked him why it went bad and he said idk. I did ask them if the "blocked screen" could've caused it since it went on so long without being diagnosed. He said no. I'll ask the supervisor tomorrow when I talk to him about their bid.

So, is it possible to replace the compressor, even tho it is a 10 seer, without replacing the whole thing (heat and air)? He said that he couldn't put anything in it except a 13 and then that would make it incompatible with my 10 inside unit. Can you still buy a 10 compressor?
    Yes you can still get a compressor for the outdoor unit. Being 9 years old, you may want to consider a new condenser (outdoor unit).

And you can get a new outdoor unit. You should be able to get a new outdoor unit that will match your indoor. Provided your putting another Carrier back in.

As with any major ivestment...get several quotes. Don't let them give you a run around. Still, I would be cautious whenever your contractor can give you a quote or bid from his office without seeing your system and home. For all we know, your system is improperly sized......
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    Yes you can still get a compressor for the outdoor unit. Being 9 years old, you may want to consider a new condenser (outdoor unit).

And you can get a new outdoor unit. You should be able to get a new outdoor unit that will match your indoor. Provided your putting another Carrier back in.

As with any major ivestment...get several quotes. Don't let them give you a run around. Still, I would be cautious whenever your contractor can give you a quote or bid from his office without seeing your system and home. For all we know, your system is improperly sized......
    If I get a new outdoor unit, then I have to get a new indoor unit b/c of the seer difference. If I planned on staying here for decades or so, I might do it but that's not the case.

About giving me quotes from their office, I'm telling them that it's 2 tons, 230 volts, single face, Carrier, and then giving them the model #. Nobody has asked me yet how big the house is but it's only 1100 sq ft, so I kind of assumed that 2 tons would be big enough. Would that be enough info or would they need to come and see the house for themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by dj3901783 View Post
    Another thing is not knowing what caused the problem.. if the metering device in your unit is let's say clogged and the refrigerant in the system wouldnt be able to move freely then this could've caused your compressor to go out, so you might have to change the metering device after installing the compressor... Compressors do wear out on their own, or bad capacitor whatever just letting you know it's possible..
    He did say that the compressor had bad valves on it. He based this on the fact that it wouldn't "pump down" or whatever he said -- and b/c the pressure went up when he disconnected it. I'm getting ready to call the supervisor and ask him about the reason why the compressor failed but I just wondered if bad valves is a reason.

He did say that the compressor had bad valves on it. He based this on the fact that it wouldn't "pump down" or whatever he said -- and b/c the pressure went up when he disconnected it. I'm getting ready to call the supervisor and ask him about the reason why the compressor failed but I just wondered if bad valves is a reason.
    ....................well
    The government works for me. I do not answer to them, they answer to me.

we need a few more sheep dogs to keep barking at the wolves,and the stupid sheep

A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC2B View Post
    ....................well
    He said that there was no way to really tell. I told him that my "out ot town bro" asked about the metering device and I mentioned the blocked screen again, and he said that it was a possibility but that they'd know as soon as they put the compressor in. So, I guess I'm getting a new compressor. I've accepted my fate, I think

I'm just getting the compressor b/c if I go with a new outside unit, then I'd have to get a new inside unit too b/c of the seer rating although the tech that came out here last time led me to believe that he couldn't put in a 10 seer compressor. Hopefully, nothing else will happen. It probably won't come in until Monday b/c of the holiday so it's gonna be a hot weekend!! LOL

I got three different bids and ended up settling for the highest one anyway LOL go figure. But, for a few hundred more, I stayed with the company that has sent the last two guys out. I even got him to bend a little when I told him the other company's bids. Still, I'd rather spend more and have trustworthy people than try to skimp and end up with some of the weirdos that I had here in the beginning.

You know, ALL of you guys on here are really doing a superb service to the public by answering our plaguing questions. Maybe I've had more questions than most ... LOL ... since I really didn't know that much about heat and air except how to turn the switch on, but I don't feel like I could get ripped off that easily now. And, goodness knows, if I ever have any more trouble, I'm coming here first!!

I'll let you know how things go when they install the compressor. Hopefully, it'll all be good. There goes my driveway money ... been saving all winter to expand my single drive to a double. Oh well ... always next year LOL

Lisa

He said that there was no way to really tell. I told him that my "out ot town bro" asked about the metering device and I mentioned the blocked screen again, and he said that it was a possibility but that they'd know as soon as they put the compressor in. So, I guess I'm getting a new compressor. I've accepted my fate, I think

I'm just getting the compressor b/c if I go with a new outside unit, then I'd have to get a new inside unit too b/c of the seer rating although the tech that came out here last time led me to believe that he couldn't put in a 10 seer compressor. Hopefully, nothing else will happen. It probably won't come in until Monday b/c of the holiday so it's gonna be a hot weekend!! LOL

I got three different bids and ended up settling for the highest one anyway LOL go figure. But, for a few hundred more, I stayed with the company that has sent the last two guys out. I even got him to bend a little when I told him the other company's bids. Still, I'd rather spend more and have trustworthy people than try to skimp and end up with some of the weirdos that I had here in the beginning.

You know, ALL of you guys on here are really doing a superb service to the public by answering our plaguing questions. Maybe I've had more questions than most ... LOL ... since I really didn't know that much about heat and air except how to turn the switch on, but I don't feel like I could get ripped off that easily now. And, goodness knows, if I ever have any more trouble, I'm coming here first!!

I'll let you know how things go when they install the compressor. Hopefully, it'll all be good. There goes my driveway money ... been saving all winter to expand my single drive to a double. Oh well ... always next year LOL

Lisa
    you don't have to quit hanging around just because your air is fixed we argue about anything
    The government works for me. I do not answer to them, they answer to me.

we need a few more sheep dogs to keep barking at the wolves,and the stupid sheep

A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

if the system was way overcharged it wont pump down either i would get a second opion

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast