Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    to me it sounds like "JIM-BOBS HACK-SHACK" was your contractor and like darrell said was shooting for the beer can cold method

.......................and Twilli should be around shortly to fill out an application
    I would,but I am already employed,lol
    The government works for me. I do not answer to them, they answer to me.

we need a few more sheep dogs to keep barking at the wolves,and the stupid sheep

A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

lisa, techs are like husbands, if you find a good one hang on to him! it sounds like this system has multiple issues. if you find a good, honest tech ask him about an annual system check. they can save you $$$ in the long run. most reputable outfits will even give you a discount if you're under a service contract. good luck!
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

This so sounds like a job for Twilly

SF in desperate need of help.

Quote Originally Posted by smittyii View Post
    lisa, techs are like husbands, if you find a good one hang on to him! it sounds like this system has multiple issues. if you find a good, honest tech ask him about an annual system check. they can save you $$$ in the long run. most reputable outfits will even give you a discount if you're under a service contract. good luck!

You are so right!! I had a good one too, but I moved to a different city. He's such a good man though - honest and very thorough. He gave me mini-consults over the phone when I had problems with the heater this winter. His son is in the hospital now, so I turned to you guys. You've all been great!!! Bad techs are like ex-husbands too ---- just let someone ask me for a referral! LOL

Okay, so this is what my plan is: I'm going to show him the trouble shooting list from Darrell and tell him that it's from my bro who is a tech out-of-state I'll be sure to ask him about the "superheat subcooling method to charge the system" (that's the way I'm going to say it so somebody tell me if that'll sound stupid) and I'll be sure and tell him about the sound change in the compressor and have him check the compressor leads and capacitor.

Does that all sound right?

Regarding the list, be careful how you handle that situation, I doubt you will find a company that will get data for all of them on the list. HVAC company's can be very sensitive about customer's requiring specific things from them.

HVAC technicians have to have a broad field of knowledge, "doctors deal with one human model," we deal with endless models & specifications. There is low temp, med temp, & high temp & hundreds of wiring & refrigerant system variations to deal with.

Doctors have all the tech instruments at their finger-tips, plus a lab that will run any tests they request. We have to run our our diagnostic tests.

There could be a partially plugged screen in the refrigerant system, or it could be a number of other things, including both too much airflow & a terrifically overcharged system.

Here is a link explaining how some systems get way overcharged, during system setup, due to a real hot home & way too much airflow & a tech trying to get the suction line beer-can-cold under those conditions. The page needs editing ASAP to be more concise & readable!
    http://www.udarrell.com/aircondition...e-airflow.html

It is possible to have numerous things that need fixing or adjustments on an A/C or heat puimp system. - Darrell

Well ... just thought I'd let you guys know what the tech said today and make sure it sounded right. He checked all the "stuff" and said it was acting like the heater was on. He said that it did "seem like there was a restriction" - the blocked screen that my out-of-town electrician had mentioned. So, he went to "pump it down" so he could check the screen and it wouldn't do it. He tried it again and said that he thought it had "bad valves" and that would mean I would need a new compressor. He said that when he disconnected the unit (trying the pump it down thing), "the pressure went up". The only thing that bothered me was that he spent an hour doing the pumping down thing and then called another service tech to ask his opinion (he said this guy really knew his stuff). I don't mind a collaboration at all but it makes me wonder if he really knew what he was doing. Maybe for big jobs a "phone a friend" isn't a bad idea? Anyway, the guy he called confirmed that I'd need a new compressor, which is what the guy told me after the first time he tried to pump it down.

And just when you think it can't get any worse ...... he told me that I'd probably have to get a whole new unit, heat and air, b/c my ac is probably a 10 seers and they can't put in anything except a 13 now. If they put in a 13 for my ac, that wouldn't match up with my 10 heat. Soooooo, I'll have to get the whole thing. But, he didn't know for sure what seers rating my unit was and said that his supervisor would work up a bid and call me and let me know. Is there no way that I can tell what rating it is?

To top everything off, my hard drive on my computer crashed this morning! I'm on a borrowed computer now. At least I've got one to borrow though, until I can get a new one.

Lisa

Techs talk to one another all the time. Its great that he had someone to talk to. I'm sure he did it to get an outside view of things. He most like is confident in what he is doing but likes to get confirmation from more seasoned techs. At least he had the common sense to call someone, right?

Post your model and serial numbers, we may be able to give you an idea of what SEER rating it has, if any. And then we can go from there. As far as the bid from the office deal, they need to send someone out to do a load calc.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    Techs talk to one another all the time. Its great that he had someone to talk to. I'm sure he did it to get an outside view of things. He most like is confident in what he is doing but likes to get confirmation from more seasoned techs. At least he had the common sense to call someone, right?

Post your model and serial numbers, we may be able to give you an idea of what SEER rating it has, if any. And then we can go from there. As far as the bid from the office deal, they need to send someone out to do a load calc.
    Okay, that's what I thought but just wanted to be sure. He seemed like he knew what he was doing. I've got 2 diff model #s here under 2 diff categories: equipment and compressor.

Equipment:
    Make: Carrier
    Model: 38YCC024300
    Serial: 1599E23831

Compressor:
    Make: Copeland
    Model: CR24K6-PFV-260
    Serial: 99CL2747H

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycuz View Post
    Okay, that's what I thought but just wanted to be sure. He seemed like he knew what he was doing. I've got 2 diff model #s here under 2 diff categories: equipment and compressor.

Equipment:
    Make: Carrier
    Model: 38YCC024300
    Serial: 1599E23831

Compressor:
    Make: Copeland
    Model: CR24K6-PFV-260
    Serial: 99CL2747H
    Made in 1999.....only 9 years old. May still be under a part warranty!!!!

Most likely a 10 SEER. But you really need to check the warranty first.......cause that will save you mucho dinero.

You really shouldn't have to replace a 9 year old system unless you had a catostrophic failure. Being 9 years old and possibly the compressor is under a part warranty (you will still pay labor), your insight and curiosity to come here may have saved you a good bit. But check on it before you go buy a new car!!!!

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Made in 1999.....only 9 years old. May still be under a part warranty!!!!

I'm confused. I looked on the inside unit and seen a label marked RADCO towards the bottom. It's got a different model and serial number on it than what he had written on the service form.

Product Number: FB4ANF024000AFAA
    Model: FB4ANF024
    Serial: 1999A19051

It is a Carrier. What is the difference in the numbers? Or, did he get both of those model numbers from the outside unit?

And, there's a booklet that was laying on top of the furnace. It says that it's from CAC/BDP (is that Carrier?) and is full of diagrams that look like the heater. On the front page, it says that there's a one-year warranty.

yes....you now have the Air Handler model and serial....

entire system manufacturered in 1999. Most likely you found the installing contractors warranty book. The man. warranty is 1 year parts and labor...

But Copelands warranty is 10 years.....on all their compressors (I think)....I'm sure someone else can verify.

Since you have a Copeland compressor, it would be covered under that warranty.

yes....you now have the Air Handler model and serial....

entire system manufacturered in 1999. Most likely you found the installing contractors warranty book. The man. warranty is 1 year parts and labor...

But Copelands warranty is 10 years.....on all their compressors (I think)....I'm sure someone else can verify.

Since you have a Copeland compressor, it would be covered under that warranty.
    The Copeland compressor warranty is 1 year. If there is an extended warranty, it is provided by Carrier. The labor warranty is provided by the installing contractor, not Carrier. The exception is if the original purchaser bought an extended parts and labor warranty. If you don't have a certificate showing an extended labor warranty, then you have none.

Radco is a Carrier air handler. I am sure a 38YCC is 10 SEER.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

i'm pretty sure its a 10 seer. at 9 yrs old i would consider replacing the compressor. depending on usage you may get several years use out of it. it really depends on what caused the failure. the tech should be able to tell if its a burnout, open or shorted windings etc.. it would help if you have paperwork, startup date,warranty info.... good luck.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast