Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Cool.
    Post away.

How many of your systems accually run at .5"

I miss .5" on every install just about. usually .6, but sometimes .7"
    Of course, I'm not including 4 or 5 ton A/C's on furnaces. .8" is a good duct system on those.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Cool

Sorry beenthere wasn't thinking that the coil was from Trane... I still hate those superboosts and this is just another reason I dont like equipment that's not matched up properly.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Kickstart hard starts have a potential relay built into them.

Recip compressors need start kits when they have to start against a non bleed TXV.
    Doesn't mean the compressor is on limited time.
    DING.DING.DING.DING.......CORRECT!!! Finally, the correct answer comes through. I remember 2 years ago when the first generation of 13 SEER weather-king units came out, with the recip-compressors and TXV's in both indoor and outdoor units, those POS's wouldn't start out of the box...(one of several reasons I don't install them anymore) I made it standard procedure to install hard starts before start up. On another note, most scrolls don't need hard starts with TXV's, that's why they are not present in the units.

Quote Originally Posted by southerncomfort View Post
    2 wire superboost start assists are crap
    Oh wow! What an informative post. My god, where would we be without your expertise?

I have never had one issue with using a SuperBoost to fix hard start issues. I guess now I know how wrong I was to have used crap
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by southerncomfort View Post
    We use a true start assists at my work place Beenthere
    You outta see some of our installations because they are ultra perfect
    I run a static pressure test on every system i work on and document it somewhere on the unit
    I will upload some pics later
    Is there some reason you have not applied for professional membership? Too perfect?

[QUOTE=dj3901783;1908470. If a unit didnt originally come with a start capacitor and you have to add one to get the unit working it normally means that you only have a limited time left on your compressor until it craps out. That would be my major question as another post said did they charge you for this hard start... a compressor wouldnt start if the run capacitor was low or no longer had any capacity to hold a charge, so for him to say oh yeah put a hard start in it over the phone doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy LOL... good luck [/QUOTE]

You are way off base here. Recip compressor+ TXV= Start assist kit, its pretty basic stuff.

For the past 15 years or more, here in SE FL, to be able to get the residential rebate/incentive, you must install a hard start on any system 3 to 5 tons, and they check it to make sure it is there.

Quote Originally Posted by arpa View Post
    For the past 15 years or more, here in SE FL, to be able to get the residential rebate/incentive, you must install a hard start on any system 3 to 5 tons, and they check it to make sure it is there.

Remind me of the stuff you go through the next time I have a hankering to leave Michigan!

Quote Originally Posted by arpa View Post
    Are you having electrical issues with low voltage and/or spikes in your area arpa? Just wondering why they would make that requirement.

I for one am real quick to toss a hard start capacitor into a unit. I've used up to three tandem hard start capacitors to unstick compressors. Only had one real major issue when one compressor blew a hole out of the side of the can....oops

spikes, surges, voltage problems, brown outs, it's a way of life here..
    On commercial equipment, 3 phase is a very real problem with always loosing a leg....

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Are you having electrical issues with low voltage and/or spikes in your area arpa? Just wondering why they would make that requirement.

I for one am real quick to toss a hard start capacitor into a unit. I've used up to three tandem hard start capacitors to unstick compressors. Only had one real major issue when one compressor blew a hole out of the side of the can....oops
    It is required to help stave off dimming light complaints because they run minimun wire from xformer to home.

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post

Not to get off topic, but any of you guys still using the "annie" or other form of booster box? I've got an off the wall brand, but same purpose, started and saved a many of stuck compressors, especially in big window shakers....Go on and laugh..

Quote Originally Posted by machery View Post
    Not to get off topic, but any of you guys still using the "annie" or other form of booster box? I've got an off the wall brand, but same purpose, started and saved a many of stuck compressors, especially in big window shakers....Go on and laugh..

"annie" still rides in my truck.......

use it all the time on refrig units to confirm compressor is good or bad before replacing start components.

usually break loose a couple stuck compressors each spring then throw on a superboost.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast