Thread: Minnesota Humidity

Post Likes

Minnesota Humidity

Our AC died and I've already decided to purchase a Bryant HP since we already have a Bryant 90i furnace. My question is deciding between the Bryant 286 and the 265. Our old AC did a good job of taking out the moisture from our house in the summer, but I've never been exposed to a 2 stage HP before to know what the difference would be. We have a ZI355MAV042080FIKA Bryant furnace. I want to get the Evolution control with the HP. The salesman didn't give me any numbers for the coil, only said the one that would match the HP model. Should I ask for a certain one? Also, I've read here about heat strips-do these come with the unit? Sorry I'm such a novice. I'm just trying to figure out what everything is and what to ask for. Some info about our home: approx. 2700 sq.ft.-2 story with a walkout basement. Location of the AC now is below the 1st story family room windows. Will the noise from the HP be noticeable? Thanks for any help you can give me. Denise

Post Likes
    2 Stage HP should be much quieter then your old on was.
    It may be able to lower your humidity enough that you can raise your thermostat set temp by a degree or 2 and still feel as comfortable as you did at the lower temp with the old unit.
    Don't need electric strip heat with a dual fuel/Hybird heat pump.

Would be nice to know the indoor coil number.
    They may be using a third party coil.

Post Likes
    I'll find out the number and post it. Thanks

Post Likes
    Just to fill you in: The old AC was a 21 year old Lennex-probably 8 seer-not a 2 stage AC. The size is a 3 ton. For the past several years at the beginning of the season it needs to be recharged with freon. It must leak out during the winter. I didn't want to spend the $200.00 again on a unit that may fail anyways. It was making funny noises last summer so we decided to replace it this year. Denise

Post Likes
    21 years is a good life span for an A/C.

Post Likes
    Heat pumps are over hyped for MN as winters are too cold.
    S**t or get off the pot!

Post Likes
    How many hours a year between 35 and 65.

Post Likes
    I've got the 286 two stage HP and live in northern wisconsin. Don't listen when they tell you the northern states are too cold for a HP. The HP saves me approximately 20% on my heating bills over strictly natural gas with the switchover set at 30°F outside temperature.

The 2 stage 286 will give you excellent cooling and dehumidifying. You should notice an increase in your comfort level in the home during the humid summer months.

The noise level from the new units is greatly reduced compared to the unit of yours it's replacing.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Post Likes
    I was able to find out the coil numbers today when the Bryant guy stopped by. In his book it said for the #265 unit heat pump coil #CAPVU4221A. And the number for the #286 was CAPVU4817A. He didn't know what I was talking about when I asked if any coil number ended with ANA or ACA. Does anyone know what these coils are? I asked him who the manufacturer was, and he said Bryant. Thanks, Denise

Post Likes
    BTW, any reason the 286 unit is smaller the the 265? It's about 8" shorter in size-other dimentions are the same. Not that I mind a smaller unit because it will still be larger than what I have now. When they install the unit on legs do you still put it on a pad? I have concrete out where the old one is right now. Denise

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by subcooled_ View Post
    Heat pumps are over hyped for MN as winters are too cold.

The only month I dont get any use out of my heat pump here in MN is January.
    White Bear Township, Minnesota
    www.summitheating.com

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in