Post Likes

Leak at air handler

New Rheem Contour/AC unit, matched coil. Arzel-zoning with bypass. Works great, but with several humid 95 degree days in a row it started to get small amounts of water leaking out as shown - I checked and nothing is leaking from above, and the condensate drain doesn't appear clogged. There are no leaks on our more usual 80-85 degree days. Should I be concerned? Doesn't seem right it should leak, ever, but the conditions under which it does are so unusual for here that I can tolerate it if need be. I'm guessing it's related to icing of the coil which is worsened by the bypass damper recirculating already-cooled air (zones are relatively small). Note: I did check the line piping and entry to the unit and it was not sweating or dripping.

I know I should contact the dealer, but I'd expect "it looks fine to us now, can't figure it out unless it does it again" - of course it will only do it again during an unusual heat wave and they'll then be so busy they can't get out while the problem is there!

Post Likes
    Could be a slight restriction in the drain line.
    Could be air leaking at the panel cover.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    If it only does it on certain types of days, my "GUESS " is that the unit is sweating, due to insulation missing/air leakage as said before. With the txv I doubt the coil is icing....call them back and show them your pics.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Post Likes
    Well, there indeed is an air leak on the cover edge in the same region. I used silicone caulk on it, hopefully that's solved (until someone needs to take the panel off, but the silicone should be easy to deal with).

Post Likes
    I've seen a lot of units having sweating pipes that arent positioned properly over the drain pan and/or they are touching the outer panel. This will cause a very slow drip. If the condensate was clogged you'd have a lot of water. Just adding to other posts with air leak being possible also... goodluck!