Threaded View

Question Does a new 2 stage HVAC unit need fancy Aprilaire?

We have rec'd quotes on Lennox, Bryant, American Standard, and lastly, Amana HVAC units to replace 30 y/0 Lennox 150,000 BTU (yes, that's right, 150,000) gas furnace and 10 y/o Tempstar 8(?) SEER 5 ton unit for our 2700 sf+ house in North Central Florida.* Are getting quotes for functional 15 SEER units -- for the Lennox, that means a XC21 to deliver 16.3 SEER , Bryant is the Evolution , .** AS dealer encouraging us to get the 14 SEER as he doesn't feel increasing to the 18 really gives a bang for the buck -- about .* Haven't gotten a written quote for Amana, but he estimated a 16 SEER 2-stage at about $.* We are getting local utility rebates so the price of all except the 14 SEER AS would be about $ less than quoted price ( have to have minimal 15 SEER -2 stage for rebate).* All companies have been around area long period of time.* Have used the Lennox company in past for previous house.The Lennox price initially looked good.* However, included in the price is an Aprilaire 4200, surge Kit at breaker box or at AC unit, and a UV light at the coil.* He states that Aprilaire is needed to keep computer board clean for functioning (stated that it only cost $ more), and UV lights to keep mold from growing on coils, since this system would remove so much more moisture from house that there would be an increased growth of mold.* I don't know if he is blowing smoke up the stack with that info.* Other 3 companies said that the Aprilaire, or simular unit would be good, but not necessary.* Also suggested that the UV light was a way to make $$$$$.** Also includes 1 year planned service agreement -- basically 2 visits.* Wonder if he's adding unnecessary accessories?* Lennox also wants to replace 3/8 inch copper in slab to larger 1 1/2 and 1/2 inch thru attic and down exterior wall.* AS and Amana said this isn't needed, but I've read on other sites that there is no effective way to flush R-22 out thru lines in slab when replacing with R410A -- that the mineral oil will get trapped in the dips in the line.I guess I have*3 questions -- do we need a fancy air cleaner to protect the unit (I'm not concerned with air quality in house); are UV lights needed for the coils, and should the current lines in the slab with R-22 be replaced?Thanks -- long post, i realize.

EDIT: NO PRICING
    Last edited by Dad; 06-28-2008 at 03:34 AM.