Thread: dehumidistat

Post Likes

dehumidistat

I've been looking at portable dehumidifiers for a quick solution to the humidity problems. They seem to be divided into ones that are quiet and the fan runs all the time, whether it's dehumidifying or not (like Soleus, Danby) and ones that are noisy but the fan doesn't run all the time, like GE.
    apparently when people have a dehumidifier in their living space they want the fan to run all the time, it's less disturbing than having it turn on and off. I'm not sure I'd feel that way - so, I figure one could get a quiet one, set it so it's continuously dehumidifying, but put its power source in series with a separate dehumidistat.
    Most of the dehumidistats are meant to be wall mounted and wired to the house power. Probably my helpful local electric supply store can help me convert one of those to something that plugs into the wall and has a receptacle for the dehumidifier plug.
    There are plug-in dehumidistats, Dayton 1UHG2 and Honeywell H46E. The Dayton one has a +/-1 range for RH, the Honeywell has a 5% range. The 5% range would be better so it doesn't cycle on and off a lot.
    comments?
    Laura

Post Likes
    Have you tried to find the source of the humidity and stop it?

Post Likes
    Ask a local professional to install a Honeywell 9000 - it can take care of your air / heat & control the dehumidifier / humidifier.

And yes - the best advice you already received - find the source of humidity & take corrective action if possible.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by EverettsHVAC View Post
    I've done as much as I can in that way. I'd be a local Superhero if I could dehumidify the weather
    One thing I noticed is that cheaper dehumidifiers won't restart if you interrupt the power, so you can't control them with an added dehumidistat.
    The portable dehumidifier is a temporary solution, so I don't want to make new holes in the walls etc. That Honeywell H46E dehumidistat has a cord going to an interrupt plug. So you just hang it on the wall like a picture.
    Laura

Post Likes
    You can putz around with band aids (portable dehumidifiers) & experiment or do it right.

If you employ a professional & professional products, you'll get professional results.

Ask your local, lic. professional for a Honeywell 9000 + DH90 dehumidifier: properly installed = results.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguysfl View Post
    You can putz around with band aids (portable dehumidifiers) & experiment or do it right.
    You see, I can do that, get a good central dehumidifying system, and I may well end up doing it. But by the time I get finished researching how to do it right, wait the contractor's delay time, etc., the summer will be over. And I may have done it the wrong way, and spent thousands of dollars on a wrong decision.
    I'm not sure whether I need to get AC for comfort. If I'm just dehumidifying it'll warm up my house, if only because I wouldn't be opening the windows overnight to cool down. It makes sense to spend a few hundred $$ on a portable dehumidifier, see whether it seems reasonable to just dehumidify. I can sell such a thing easily on craigslist if I decide to get a good central system.
    I also need to dehumidify NOW. There are wet spots appearing on the floor (no, I don't have a leak causing them, it's just humid). I don't want things to get damaged and me to be sick from allergies during a delay time.
    People here have told me fairly convincingly that a portable dehumidifier shouldn't be heating up my house significantly, if it's set right.
    Laura

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by EverettsHVAC View Post
    My source come with many tax credits

so it all balances out with running the a/c colder
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in