Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Somedays you really have to wonder.........

I just recently moved into this apartment complex, I never really looked at the HVAC equipment. That is until mine quit working, Found my unit and this mess. And yes those are my gages on my unit.

When you do a job, Always make it easier for the next guy, because you may be the next guy working on it.

WOW! Those old Fedderses date back to the early 70s!!!!! Wonder how many are on the 3rd or 4th compressor!

Ahhh, the old Fedders grass killers!

Those are fun, when working "properly", they run a condensing temperature that is like 40-50Ί above ambient temp. Gota love that little bitty 4 row condenser coil, lol.

I wonder if the system with that newer outdoor unit still has the old Fedders cap tube indoor coil? I bet the SH and SC on that system are interesting...
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Holy crap! I just cleaned a condensing coil on one of those same units today right here in old Bowie, MD.
    Not as lean, not as mean, but I'm still a hardcore, ass-kicking, hard charging Marine! Oohrah!

Ah, memories...

My first (and should've been last, but a man's gotta eat) apt. maint. gig was full of those Fedders "lawn burners". Except these were on the roof. The fan coils inside were First Company jobs...by the time I arrived on the scene many of the coils were developing pinhole leaks. Short of changing out the evap, I had to haul out an extension ladder every time a unit needed a little gas. PITA. Some I could get away with gas n' go, others I had to flat out tell the owners replace it or lose the tenant.

At least the one for my apartment didn't leak, and it cooled like a walk-in freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    I wonder if the system with that newer outdoor unit still has the old Fedders cap tube indoor coil? I bet the SH and SC on that system are interesting...
    Of course!

1. It's an apartment
    2. It's a Goodman

Do my eyes deceive me or is that unit your gauges are connected to have a kinked suction line?
    Everybody has the right to be stupid. Some people abuse the privilege.

Fedders Workhorse.

Hey, Hey, don't knock those old Fedders, I worked a whole sub-division of those in back 1976. CL tecumseh compressors and big fans to kill grass. Those unit would run 325 head pressure right out of the box.Pop lid off and you had access to everything even coil and motor.

There next line with spine-fin coils and rotory compressor , were a nightmare.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Quote Originally Posted by aircooled53 View Post
    Hey, Hey, don't knock those old Fedders, I worked a whole sub-division of those in back 1976. CL tecumseh compressors and big fans to kill grass. Those unit would run 325 head pressure right out of the box.Pop lid off and you had access to everything even coil and motor.

There next line with spine-fin coils and rotory compressor , were a nightmare.
    They may run that 325 head pressure on a 85&#186; day, but when its 100 out, that puppys gona be up to 400 with everything perfectly clean, lol.
    Hard units to kill though.

As for the ones that came after, I've got a customer that actually still has a Feeders system that has a spine fin coil, and the original rotory compressor it came with!
    I joke with him that the units survival is so remarkable, that people are more likely to believe me if I told them I saw Bigfoot or a UFO than that I've seen one of his model of unit still running with the rotory compressor it came from the factory with.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

unfreakinbelievable!

Man, a guy would have to be some kind of inbred head case to run those linesets like that.

I'd like to walk up on someone doing work like that some day and just bury a hammer into the back of his skull. Maybe the gene pool would take a turn in the right direction for once.

Were those the old "precharged" LS's? I just can't think of any reason to put things together like this. I see a few mini-splits around here that are run this way with the remaining 40 feet of LS outside the building in a corkscrew.

Those have to be precharges lines....

I hope. lol

My great aunt has an original one still on her roof and it still works. The indoor unit is in a closet and cant be higher than a few inches. I juiced it up last year just so she could run it along with her other one ( a bretwood i think). I am replacing the main one this year and hopefully the fedders next year. Ill take some pictures one day. I think the original compressor is still in it though.
    I will believe that the government is broke when the welfare checks start bouncing!!

Quote Originally Posted by dillon2 View Post
    Do my eyes deceive me or is that unit your gauges are connected to have a kinked suction line?
    Nah its an optical illusion because of the falling insulation on the suction line.

But the bad news is, after putting a new run cap the compressor died about 24 hours later, it appears to be the original one.
    When you do a job, Always make it easier for the next guy, because you may be the next guy working on it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast