We got a quote yesterday on an Amana 16 seer, 4 ton unit with new heat exchange. I just do not know if it is a good product. We live in Dallas, and our current unit is an 8 seer (dont know the tons). I would expect our electric bill this month to be around $450 and we keep our t-stat on 78/79 at night and 82 during the day. This unit is at least 10-15 years old that we have now(maybe even older), and I see that Amana has the 10 year parts and lifetime replacement limited warranty.

We have owned a home for 10 years now and this will be the only time we have had to invest money like this into a home, we just want to make sure that we are buying the right product for the right price. FYI the owner called us back today and said that the price he originally quoted was for a 13 seer in error, but that he would still honor that price for the 16 seer.

Is Amana a good product? I do not know if we can affort Trane/Carrier/Lennox. We have another guy coming tonight to give us an estimate as well.

We just want to replace the unit BEFORE it goes completely out. I got a lot of GREAT advice on here a couple of years ago when we were having problems and uses that advice in selecting someone to repair it. So I am hoping to get some more good advice.