Mobile Home Split Vs Package

Here's one I run into often,
    Customer is adding air to an existing MH furnace, considering an outside Pkge unit. The blower in the MH (let's say Double Wide) is a 1/4 horse power. Would you add a coil and condenser and leave the machine at 13 seer? Or, would one consider installing an outside ground Package unit to try and reach 14+ Seer?
    The benefit of an outside unit would be less noise, more space and a better filtrations system, plus a higher seer.
    any thoughts?

Previous jobs where we fitted a coil into existing MH furnace also included an upgraded blower section. For a time Carrier made a high output retro kit that fit Coleman - but I believe it's discontinued. MH ductwork is pretty high static, adding a wet coil and trying to hit rated CFM with OEM blower is not easy. Ripping out the furnace isn't easy either, weird flue issues common. Unless the H/O hates the package unit idea - I'd think you'd get a better result by going that route. Plus they get a new closet out of the deal.

Talking

Pkg or bust!

Package unit all the way, Rheem/Ruud makes a nice high static model, very easy to install also

I don't see any mobile home units, package or split, attaining their rated seer due to the crappy duct systems that are factory installed. How are you planning on installing the package unit? Are you keeping existing furnace operational? Tieing into duct system, or new for package unit? Do you have room for a new coil? Lotsa questions...
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Yep, we would put a Y-kit where the crossover kit is. Most customer are complaining about noise with an inside blower. and a "canned ham" has a ramped up blower to reach all the crappy ductwork. We remove the furnace. Very true on SEER, it's just not going t get it. Crappy duct and crappy insulation.
    I wanted to see if there were any pitfalls in going with Pck Vs Split.
    "Well done is better than well said."
    Benjamin Franklin

a package unit on a mobile home is the way to go, run sheetmetal duct trunk line and tap into each existing duct line in at least 2 places it is more work but works much better

How about a couple of window units? It sounds as if its kinda old. Putting a package unit will double the value of the trailer.

True, true. Remember, widow units can roll up if mobile home goes mobile
    Benjamin Franklin

If the existing MH furnace has a coil cabinet (gas or oil with cabinet on the bottom for evaporator) then most likely it has a multispeed blower and has everything ready for split system A/C. I've worked with manufactured housing furnaces and a/c units since 1976. I'm new to this forum but when you get to manufactured housing I've got quite a few years of experience.
    Remember that when you are dealing with manufactured housing you must install equipment approved for manufactured housing. It's a dumb rule but that's what the rule is.
    Where do you get the idea that you'd get more space with an outside unit? A package unit will take up more space than a split system and you'll have those pesky flex ducts to deal with in the future. As for filtration, the typical washable filter for a manufactured home with a package unit has a washable media filter bent into an A shape to fit the return box.
    I'd go with a split system any day if it's possible in any manufactured home if the furnace has the coil cabinet ready for a split system.
    You might have a bit less noise with a package unit but I see no other improvement. Is there a 14 SEER package unit approved for manufactured housing? I've not done any installs in manufactured homes for 2 years but I do have 32 years of manufactured housing behind me... 30, actually since I've not done a manufactured install in 2 years.
    I hope this helps
    Daniel

Great reply. The concern is noise from the blower inside and the filter for the cabinets are never standard size, not unless you like "Bores Hair".A canned Ham unit has an efficient enough blower and the freed-up cabinet are a bonus. A "Y" kit, I think, can solve most ductwork issues.
    In Arizona the blowers in these pre-fabbed homes are usually too low. When I sell an A/C I usually have to change those out. I put the filters in the floor under grates. I think an Approved package unit for MH is only 13.
    The only pit-fall I've ran into with these package Vs split is the gripe from the installer about the crawl space. Other than that I'm not convinced to stay away from package when an existing cabinet is in place.
    Benjamin Franklin