Current Infinity Condenser Units Bigger-Why?

My new 2 Ton Infinity System got installed this week. The 25HNA condenser unit towers over my 3 year old 3 Ton unit (38YDB). It's about 9" taller and being square compared to the older unit it is 2" wider and about 6" longer in perimeter. All this must add up to a lot more cooling coil area. Why do we have this major change in dimensions? Are the older units inadequate in some way?

Its how they get the higher SEER rating. Use a larger coil, and a smaller compressor.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Two pass cooling?

I asked my sales rep and he said the current 3 Ton unit is still smaller than the 2 Ton. Has something to do with '2 pass cooling' in the 3 Ton vs single pass in the 2 Ton. Perhaps that means a split path in the 3 Ton.

If its a 25HNA6(Bristol TS Compressor), in first stage its 60% of system capacity, which would be 1.8 tons on a 3 ton unit.

How ever. If the area it serves only needed a 2 ton unit. It may not dehumidify enough during low load conditions..
    Contractor locator map

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by gmahler View Post
    I asked my sales rep and he said the current 3 Ton unit is still smaller than the 2 Ton. Has something to do with '2 pass cooling' in the 3 Ton vs single pass in the 2 Ton. Perhaps that means a split path in the 3 Ton.
    I think he meant to say,two rows of coil on the three and one on the two.This means the coil is twice as thrick on the three ,so not as large physically.The single row requires less fan HP to move the required air ,hence the reason they go with a larger cabinet,single row.

In 2006, manufacturers were required by the government to only produce equipment that met the 13 SEER rating. Your "old" unit was built to a different efficiency requirement, thus the size difference. Larger coil means higher efficiency when comparing units of the same capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    I think he meant to say,two rows of coil on the three and one on the two.This means the coil is twice as thrick on the three ,so not as large physically.The single row requires less fan HP to move the required air ,hence the reason they go with a larger cabinet,single row.
    If prosperity and winning doesn't scare you this is your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianf View Post
    If prosperity and winning doesn't scare you this is your answer.
    Now I really don't get it ,can you explain??

Now I really don't get it ,can you explain??
    Nothing sinister, sorry might be a little too cerebral. It related to our (the human animals) lack of diversity acceptance as it relates to our own condition/station in the eco/social order. Like in school the cool kids wouldn't hang with the high IQ's.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianf View Post
    Nothing sinister, sorry might be a little too cerebral. It related to our (the human animals) lack of diversity acceptance as it relates to our own condition/station in the eco/social order. Like in school the cool kids wouldn't hang with the high IQ's.
    Does any one understand this,I'm lost guess it's over my head.

ZOOM right over my head.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by gmahler View Post
    The 25HNA condenser unit towers over my 3 year old 3 Ton unit (38YDB).
    Try moving the 5 ton around
    That baby ain't going no where for a hurricane
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Does any one understand this,I'm lost guess it's over my head.
    Been typed "ZOOM right over my head".

Sorry gents maybe too much social comment for an HVAC Board. My father said I came from left field sometimes.

I've seen Dash and others reprimanded by the admins for their arguing over what amounts to so much air conditioning fodder. Contentious points that exist mostly because of the background differances of the bickering posters.

Understand so far?

That's the crux of this whole thing which spawned my original post to Dash's explaination of why the new Infinity condensers were bigger.

How about now?

Please accept my apology
    From here on out I'll stick to static pressure, Manual D and which is better Carrier or Goodman.
    Last edited by adrianf; 06-29-2008 at 08:42 AM. Reason: corrected spelling of were