Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast
    You both units changed out.
    The heat pump is the outdoor unit.
    But you can't mismatch them and get the capacity rating.
    So its one flat price for every thing.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Steve:

Classical had negative comments about a heat pump, and he may know the south better than I (he's from Houston).

What I suggested was you discuss the issue with your installer.

You can also contact MS power, they have a web page on HPs, and likely can give you very comprehensie actual dollar numbers and payback times on the savings.
    http://www.mississippipower.com/residential/heatcool.asp

As far as NG prices, here is a partial quote from who I think is your supplier
    CenterPoint Energy is committed to delivering natural gas to customers safely, reliably and at reasonable prices. Through the Gas Cost Adjustment (GCA), which makes up about 70 - 80 percent of the bill, the company passes through to its customers actual cost it pays for the natural gas it purchases without any mark-up
    That web site is http://www.centerpointenergy.com/services/naturalgas/residential/saveenergyandmoney/naturalgasprices/MS/
    That site gives $$ numbers and shows a 37% increase in you NG prices form last year to this!!!
    It pays $$ over the long run to be informed. Be sure to check out rebates MS power gives for HP installs. Did an install for my mother in Illinois, of course I charged her nothing for labor. 3-1/2 Ton Goodman HP after rebate was less than a gas furnace alone!

Re: HVAC guy came out, recommends Goodman

Quote Originally Posted by timby View Post
    Steve

I can recommend Goodman. I'm on my second one. I purchased one 12 years ago. Even though it wasn't installed properly I didn't have any costly repairs.

I had it replaced with a much more efficient one this past spring. The unit only takes an hour to get the house from 80 to 75 even when it's 100 outside. It is much quieter than the old one. Only thing is the filters are a weird size.

Just my 2 cents ....
    Well then I guess the reason for the flat rate price quote is so consumers cannot compare prices? I mean it's not like I can call Sears and ask for a price on a 3 ton Rheem model #xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx condenser unit and expect to get a price, or call Lowe's or Home Depot. How is the customer going to know they're getting a good deal?

I could ask for 10 estimates, get 10 different prices, 10 different brand recommendations and all I have to go on right now is my good experience with Rheem. Several posts here mentioned they purchased Goodman, a good unit but the contractor installed their unit wrong. For example what did that mean?

The contractor put the wrong size unit inside of someone's house? The contractor didn't know how to install the unit right? The contractor was a jack leg installer? Here's another question, my current Rheem unit has a drain pipe which I have blown out everytime I have the unit serviced, the pipe is exposed outside so I can watch to see if anything comes out of the pipe when the tech blows it out.

This guy who wants to sell me Goodman tried to convince me to let him install a new drain pipe and connect it directly into my sewer line, I told him no because I want to be able to see the drain line drip when my unit is running and especially want to see the %@#*&% blown out when the line is blown out. I told him that little piece of pipe sticking up out of the ground didn't bother me.

Stevoreno
    06/27/08

One more site Steve:

http://www.centerpointenergy.com/services/naturalgas/residential/saveenergyandmoney/naturalgasprices/130d4f5b7a1c3110VgnVCM10000001a10d0aRCRD/

This page gives actuall $$ amounts for Biloxi power rates. Note that centerpoint does NOT mention heatpumps!

At about 40 F outside, a Goodman (or other brands) will still deliver a COP (coefficient of performance) of over 3.0, divide the electric rate in the web site by that number to see how your heating bill will vary. COP is higher at higher temps, may drop to 2.7 or so around freezing. Also MULTIPLY the centerpoint NG rate by 1.08 if you have a 92% efficient gas furnance, by 1.25 if an old 80% furnace.

Re: HVAC guy came out, recommends Goodman

Quote Originally Posted by junkhound View Post
    Steve:

Classical had negative comments about a heat pump, and he may know the south better than I (he's from Houston).

What I suggested was you discuss the issue with your installer.

You can also contact MS power, they have a web page on HPs, and likely can give you very comprehensie actual dollar numbers and payback times on the savings.
    http://www.mississippipower.com/residential/heatcool.asp

As far as NG prices, here is a partial quote from who I think is your supplier
    CenterPoint Energy is committed to delivering natural gas to customers safely, reliably and at reasonable prices. Through the Gas Cost Adjustment (GCA), which makes up about 70 - 80 percent of the bill, the company passes through to its customers actual cost it pays for the natural gas it purchases without any mark-up
    That web site is http://www.centerpointenergy.com/services/naturalgas/residential/saveenergyandmoney/naturalgasprices/MS/
    That site gives $$ numbers and shows a 37% increase in you NG prices form last year to this!!!
    It pays $$ over the long run to be informed. Be sure to check out rebates MS power gives for HP installs. Did an install for my mother in Illinois, of course I charged her nothing for labor. 3-1/2 Ton Goodman HP after rebate was less than a gas furnace alone!
    So then a heat pump is something recommended only in warm climates like where I live in coastal Mississippi? My electric bill with Mississippi Power last month for only one person living in this 3 bedroom, 2 bath house was $114.00, the new bill which dropped last week shot up to $289.00. I will have to admit that I am running my A.C. longer now that it's been getting hot and humid. Could old duct work in my attic add to that problem? Duct work that is the original duct work installed when this house was built in 1962? Or could the system being old be the problem?

What's the lifespan on the part of the system inside the house, my heater and my coil? It was installed new in 1997 and just for the record I don't run my heat that much during the winter months, my gas company is Centerpoint Energy, my highest gas bill last winter was $78.00. I'm a hot natured guy and if I get cold during the winter I'd rather sleep cool with an extra cover than over heat the house and sweat.

I do run my A.C. though during the summer. It's beginning to thunder here now so I'll be getting up shortly and turning the A.C. off. My late mama always would say turn the A.C. off when the weather got bad and I still do that to this day. When I told a neighbor that he said that's what you have homeowner's insurance for. He's one of these guys who knows everything about everything. He told me that my condenser could still get zapped by lightning even if I had my A.C. turned off. Is what he said correct or not? You pros chime in on that if you would.

Stevoreno
    Biloxi, Mississippi
    06/27/08

Breaking down a bid as you want it can reveal trade secrets that contractors don't want to share with their competitors. Allot of homeowners will give our bid to our competitor and ask them to beat it. Who gets the deal and who gets the shaft?
    Proud supporter of Springfield Millers and Oregon Ducks.

The most important thing that you can do is find a good contractor. It dosn't matter what equipment you put in, if it is not installed properly then it will not work properly. There are many ways to do this. Referals from family and friends, etc. I think that the main reason that Goodman gets installed wrong is that they will sell to anyone, hence large amounts of sales and more units installed wrong. All manufactures are using parts and peices made in other countries and this leads to all having failures.

The next thing you need to do is decide what you would like to install in your house. What SEER rating, HSPF, EER variable speed, 2 stage, etc. This is where this forum will be the most help. We can explain these things to you and give you ideas on what mey work best in your area.

Then you want to take your equipment needs to a few good contractors and you will get apple to apple quotes. Most likely these will be flat rate. At least you will be comparing the same variables.

The reason that things do not get broken down further is not to hide things from anyone. It is the way things are done these days. We have many expences to run our businesses and these are included. A person can't go to McDonalds and ask how much the hamberger costs and then ask how much to make it. I don't know why the trades should be any different.

This may seem like alot of work on your part but you will get a system that will work for years to come.

Good luck.
    Its a good Life!

Quote Originally Posted by Stevoreno View Post
    Well then I guess the reason for the flat rate price quote is so consumers cannot compare prices?

Stevoreno
    06/27/08
    What you need to do first is find a couple contractors you like. Have them estimate all the brands they carry, like for like. Then do your research and find the unit YOU like the best, from the contractor you trust.

That's the only way to do it in this business.

Clay

[QUOTE=junkhound;1906487]Steve:

Where did I say anything negative about a heat pump? All I said was converting from gas heat which is 110V to an electric air handler which is 220V would be more expensive. Retaining a gas furnace going to variable speed and a heat pump might be the most efficient. It depends on the gas and electric rates in MS.

Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    RoboTeq is going to have a field day with this thread
    Nah. Same old stupid comments by some new member thinking if he/she bashes Goodman they will somehow sound like they know something. We all know better.

Some times these kind of new members realize how stupid they sound and they start participating in threads in a more professional manner, and sometimes they just run away pouting because no one took them seriously.

I like the way this one thinks he is the spokesperson for all of Chicago.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by tessmer View Post
    i know theres alot of hacks in our area!!! seems to me, goodman is the cheapest unit to buy and thats what there installing. my customers deserve better.
    If you really are an HVAC professional, your customers deserve better then someone with your limited thinking ability. If I were one of the hundreds of thousands of owners of Goodman equipment (actually I am), I certainly wouldn't want someone like you to show up if I had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy37 View Post
    When you publicly bash a product and potential new customers read it, you may be taking business away from contractors who deal with that brand. Better to keep a professional attitude and keep the ignorance to yourself.
    I think that most people realize that brand bashers are just people with Napoleon complexes and little...well, you know

Quote Originally Posted by tessmer View Post
    i wouldnt put one in my home.
    And Goodman wants to say
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.” –Albert Einstein

“Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.”-Vernon Law

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast