Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    and you can install a heat pump with gas heat and this may be the most efficient option long term.

Quote Originally Posted by green jumper View Post
    Actually you know you can install a gas fired furnace with a heatpump, its called a dual fuel solution. that way you get the heatpump to save money but when its cold outside and the heatpump underperforms the thermostat turns the furnace on, and cycles the heat pump off.

But what do I know, I'm just trying to act smart. Respect me!!

wasn't that what he'd just said?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Ford store recommends Ford.

Kia store recommneds Kia.

Which one is really better.lol !

back to what the the original question was, the company just doesnt carry goodman. there were more choices to choose from. i just gave my opinion on goodman from my experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by mr horsepower View Post
    wasn't that what he'd just said?
    Yeah, but you dont realize the irony of him saying that, and me only reading the first paragraph, before snapping off a reply. Thats what we call comedic gold.
    Global Warming or: None like it hot
    No pleasure, no rapture, no exquisite sin greater... than central air. -Dogma

Quote Originally Posted by green jumper View Post
    Yeah, but you dont realize the irony of him saying that, and me only reading the first paragraph, before snapping off a reply. Thats what we call comedic gold.
    what you had there was comedic pewter. silver tops. no irony

ironic comedic gold actually would be (for example) something along the line of you couldn't see the last part of his reply as the top of his ol' ladies head was obstructing your view of your moniter. that my friend would be comedic gold.

That would just be mean!
    Global Warming or: None like it hot
    No pleasure, no rapture, no exquisite sin greater... than central air. -Dogma

Uh oh, 5 years eh?

Quote Originally Posted by tessmer View Post
    here in chicago, it is well known that goodman is garbage. it is considered a 5yr band aid till the customer can afford a more reliable piece of equipment
    I'll need to let my bro know he'll might need to sell those stocks or tap that 401 K to buy new A/C that's not garbage. Only 3 more years left on that Goodman POS Garbage.

Re: HVAC guy came out, recommends Goodman

First of all I didn't receive any emails notifying me that I had so many replies to my thread so I came straight here to check as soon as I checked my email. Second from everything that I have read in this thread, Goodman must not be a good brand to consider. I've had good service with Rheem so Rheem would probably be a better brand to go with. What exactly is a heat pump?

Would that take the place of the condenser out in the back yard or would that be the piece of equipment that goes in the hallway closet where my current gas furnace and coil is located? Would such a change require a different return air grill in my hallway?

For years my previous systems took 16x25x1 fiberglass AC filters but when the new unit was installed inside the house in 1997 the contractor then advise increasing the size of the return air grill, installed this thing in the wall called a filter grill which is nice when it comes time to change out my filters.

The downsize to that change was now I have a different size AC filter in the wall which I have to special order, a 16x30x1 since nobody in my area stocks them. I order them from a company called Glassfloss I think. Since I'm not suppose to discuss price on this board can I ask this question? When the HVAC guy wrote up his proposal he didn't break anything down.

He had a subtotal amount listed on line 1, he had my 7% state sales tax listed on line 2 he then listed the grand total on line 3. I wanted a breakdown. I wanted to know how much the condenser was going to cost, how much the heater and coil part was going to cost, then what the labor charge would be to install those parts.

The guy said he couldn't break it down that way. I asked him why not. he said he couldn't. Personally I think it was more like he wouldn't. I took his free estimate proposal and thanked him for coming out. I don't know if I'll be calling him back until I get another estimate from another contractor.

Stevoreno
    06/27/08

Quote Originally Posted by Stevoreno View Post
    First of all I didn't receive any emails notifying me that I had so many replies to my thread so I came straight here to check as soon as I checked my email. Second from everything that I have read in this thread, Goodman must not be a good brand to consider.

Stevoreno
    06/27/08
    Goodman and Amana are essentially the same unit. They have a 10 year warranty on standard parts, and a LIFETIME warranty on the compressor!

I would not be afraid to buy one. In fact I just did!

Clay

Stevoreno, is a breakdown of those figures important to you and, if so, why? My understanding is, most companies are installing a system for you and these individual components are part of that system. If you buy a refrigerator at home depot you pay for the refrigerator regardless of what portion of the cost was the materials put into it or the labor.
    Even the sticker on a car just lists total prices for 'options'. It doesn't show you the individual costs for all labor and materials going into the car.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Re: HVAC guy came out, recommends Goodman

I consider it important because I have no idea what these things cost. For example if all that needed replacing was the condenser outside I would expect any contractor to list on his invoice the brand name of the condenser, model number and size and extend out to the end what I was being charged for that particular piece of A.C. equipment.

Then I would expect to see what the labor charge was going to be to install the unit, if there were any permit fees from my city, some cities require contractors to pull permits to do such work, if I was going to be charged a fee to haul off my old unit since my trash truck wouldn't take it I'd want to know that, subtotal that, add sales taxes and give me a final total. Yes I would want that.

Stevoreno
    06/27/08

Quote Originally Posted by Stevoreno View Post
    I consider it important because I have no idea what these things cost. For example if all that needed replacing was the condenser outside I would expect any contractor to list on his invoice the brand name of the condenser, model number and size and extend out to the end what I was being charged for that particular piece of A.C. equipment.

Then I would expect to see what the labor charge was going to be to install the unit, if there were any permit fees from my city, some cities require contractors to pull permits to do such work, if I was going to be charged a fee to haul off my old unit since my trash truck wouldn't take it I'd want to know that, subtotal that, add sales taxes and give me a final total. Yes I would want that.

Stevoreno
    06/27/08
    Well since all installs are flat rate you may be a little unhappy when nobody
    seperates labor and and equipment prices.
    Better asked would does a contractor's price include all the things you are concerned about.

Steve

I can recommend Goodman. I'm on my second one. I purchased one 12 years ago. Even though it wasn't installed properly I didn't have any costly repairs.

I had it replaced with a much more efficient one this past spring. The unit only takes an hour to get the house from 80 to 75 even when it's 100 outside. It is much quieter than the old one. Only thing is the filters are a weird size.

Just my 2 cents ....

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast