Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: HVAC guy came out, recommends Goodman

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Question HVAC guy came out, recommends Goodman

I had an HVAC guy come out the other day; a guy working for a company that was recommended to me by a neighbor to quote me a price on what it would cost to replace a Rheem condenser and the heater/coil part inside the house. I know prices aren't to be discussed here so I won't but this guy recommended going with a system made by Goodman, I've never heard of Goodman.

The house in which I live in is 46 years old and except for the original system which came with the house back in 1962 which was a Fedders everything since that time has been a Rheem. I'm on my third Rheem system. The 3 ton Rheem condenser out in the yard was installed new in 1992 and the other part of the system inside the house, also a Rheem was installed new in 1997. This particular company doesn't handle Rheem, they handle Goodman, Carrier, Lenox and Trane. Is Goodman a good brand to consider?

The parts he recommended installing are as follows:

Goodman 3 ton GSC130361 - SEER 13
    Goodman 3 ton evap. coil #CAPF3636A6
    Goodman gas furnace #GMH80703AN

Stevoreno
    06/27/08

Post Likes
    In my opinion goodman is a good product and it has a 10 yr. warranty. I also like the lennox units, they are nice products. Trane well i have been having a little problem (minor yet problems) with Trane. But let me be the first to say it depends greatly on the install.

Post Likes
    My experience with Goodman with copeland scroll compressors has been good.
    (Never used them before 2003 however, and nothing with other than the copeland scroll compressor)

Since you live in Mississippi, I'd suggest to discuss with your installer NOT installing the gas furnace, go with a heat pump option to the AC for heating. Less $$ over time for fuel plus lower install costs.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by junkhound View Post
    My experience with Goodman with copeland scroll compressors has been good.
    (Never used them before 2003 however, and nothing with other than the copeland scroll compressor)

Since you live in Mississippi, I'd suggest to discuss with your installer NOT installing the gas furnace, go with a heat pump option to the AC for heating. Less $$ over time for fuel plus lower install costs.

How is it going to cost less to install a heat pump with an electric air handler when they currently have gas heat? They will need to have a 220V circuit installed which could easily require an electrical panel upgrade especially on a home built in 1962.

Some of you people don't think through your recommendations just spout the first think that makes you think you are smart.

Steve Goodman is a good product is properly sized and installed. You might wish to consider upgrading to a 14 SEER unit or even a 16 SEER. Upgrading to a GMV8 variable speed furnace will improve A/C efficiency and humidity control. Your contractor can help you decide if a heat pump is a good option and you can install a heat pump with gas heat and this may be the most efficient option long term.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    How is it going to cost less to install a heat pump with an electric air handler when they currently have gas heat? They will need to have a 220V circuit installed which could easily require an electrical panel upgrade especially on a home built in 1962.

Some of you people don't think through your recommendations just spout the first think that makes you think you are smart.

Steve Goodman is a good product is properly sized and installed. You might wish to consider upgrading to a 14 SEER unit or even a 16 SEER. Upgrading to a GMV8 variable speed furnace will improve A/C efficiency and humidity control. Your contractor can help you decide if a heat pump is a good option and you can install a heat pump with gas heat and this may be the most efficient option long term.
    Actually you know you can install a gas fired furnace with a heatpump, its called a dual fuel solution. that way you get the heatpump to save money but when its cold outside and the heatpump underperforms the thermostat turns the furnace on, and cycles the heat pump off.

But what do I know, I'm just trying to act smart. Respect me!!
    Global Warming or: None like it hot
    No pleasure, no rapture, no exquisite sin greater... than central air. -Dogma

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    and you can install a heat pump with gas heat and this may be the most efficient option long term.

Quote Originally Posted by green jumper View Post
    Actually you know you can install a gas fired furnace with a heatpump, its called a dual fuel solution. that way you get the heatpump to save money but when its cold outside and the heatpump underperforms the thermostat turns the furnace on, and cycles the heat pump off.

But what do I know, I'm just trying to act smart. Respect me!!

wasn't that what he'd just said?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mr horsepower View Post
    wasn't that what he'd just said?
    Yeah, but you dont realize the irony of him saying that, and me only reading the first paragraph, before snapping off a reply. Thats what we call comedic gold.
    Global Warming or: None like it hot
    No pleasure, no rapture, no exquisite sin greater... than central air. -Dogma

Post Likes

As I've posted before

Quote Originally Posted by Stevoreno View Post
    I had an HVAC guy come out the other day; a guy working for a company that was recommended to me by a neighbor to quote me a price on what it would cost to replace a Rheem condenser and the heater/coil part inside the house. I know prices aren't to be discussed here so I won't but this guy recommended going with a system made by Goodman, I've never heard of Goodman.

The house in which I live in is 46 years old and except for the original system which came with the house back in 1962 which was a Fedders everything since that time has been a Rheem. I'm on my third Rheem system. The 3 ton Rheem condenser out in the yard was installed new in 1992 and the other part of the system inside the house, also a Rheem was installed new in 1997. This particular company doesn't handle Rheem, they handle Goodman, Carrier, Lenox and Trane. Is Goodman a good brand to consider?

The parts he recommended installing are as follows:

Goodman 3 ton GSC130361 - SEER 13
    Goodman 3 ton evap. coil #CAPF3636A6
    Goodman gas furnace #GMH80703AN

Stevoreno
    06/27/08
    My brother has a Goodman packaged unit installed on an old, leaky house.
    Believe me it keeps his house nice and chilly. No issues but I really hate the filter placement and weird size, but its his system.

I seriously considering an Amana 18 SEER HP next spring-same company.

Post Likes
    i wouldnt put one in my home.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tessmer View Post
    i wouldnt put one in my home.
    It's a free country (for now), you dont have to put one in your home.

Post Likes
    RoboTeq is going to have a field day with this thread

Post Likes
    Naw. Not enough bad mouthing yet. He saves his energy for the really deep indiscrestions.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    RoboTeq is going to have a field day with this thread
    Nah. Same old stupid comments by some new member thinking if he/she bashes Goodman they will somehow sound like they know something. We all know better.

Some times these kind of new members realize how stupid they sound and they start participating in threads in a more professional manner, and sometimes they just run away pouting because no one took them seriously.

I like the way this one thinks he is the spokesperson for all of Chicago.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    When you publicly bash a product and potential new customers read it, you may be taking business away from contractors who deal with that brand. Better to keep a professional attitude and keep the ignorance to yourself.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sammy37 View Post
    When you publicly bash a product and potential new customers read it, you may be taking business away from contractors who deal with that brand. Better to keep a professional attitude and keep the ignorance to yourself.
    I think that most people realize that brand bashers are just people with Napoleon complexes and little...well, you know
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    i know theres alot of hacks in our area!!! seems to me, goodman is the cheapest unit to buy and thats what there installing. my customers deserve better.

Post Likes
    i know theres alot of hacks in our area!!! seems to me, goodman is the cheapest unit to buy and thats what there installing. my customers deserve better.
    Don't worry, there is another brand that is cheaper. Eventually you'll be seeing it installed instead.
    Then you can complain about it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Don't worry, there is another brand that is cheaper. Eventually you'll be seeing it installed instead.
    Then you can complain about it.
    Oh, Haier/Fedders?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Ford store recommends Ford.

Kia store recommneds Kia.

Which one is really better.lol !

Post Likes
    If you really are an HVAC professional, your customers deserve better then someone with your limited thinking ability. If I were one of the hundreds of thousands of owners of Goodman equipment (actually I am), I certainly wouldn't want someone like you to show up if I had a problem.
    Training is important!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in