Page 1 of 23 1234567811 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 292
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Biloxi, Mississippi, USA
    Posts
    112

    Question HVAC guy came out, recommends Goodman

    I had an HVAC guy come out the other day; a guy working for a company that was recommended to me by a neighbor to quote me a price on what it would cost to replace a Rheem condenser and the heater/coil part inside the house. I know prices aren't to be discussed here so I won't but this guy recommended going with a system made by Goodman, I've never heard of Goodman.

    The house in which I live in is 46 years old and except for the original system which came with the house back in 1962 which was a Fedders everything since that time has been a Rheem. I'm on my third Rheem system. The 3 ton Rheem condenser out in the yard was installed new in 1992 and the other part of the system inside the house, also a Rheem was installed new in 1997. This particular company doesn't handle Rheem, they handle Goodman, Carrier, Lenox and Trane. Is Goodman a good brand to consider?


    The parts he recommended installing are as follows:

    Goodman 3 ton GSC130361 - SEER 13
    Goodman 3 ton evap. coil #CAPF3636A6
    Goodman gas furnace #GMH80703AN



    Stevoreno
    06/27/08

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Spartanburg, S.C.
    Posts
    58
    In my opinion goodman is a good product and it has a 10 yr. warranty. I also like the lennox units, they are nice products. Trane well i have been having a little problem (minor yet problems) with Trane. But let me be the first to say it depends greatly on the install.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    567
    My experience with Goodman with copeland scroll compressors has been good.
    (Never used them before 2003 however, and nothing with other than the copeland scroll compressor)

    Since you live in Mississippi, I'd suggest to discuss with your installer NOT installing the gas furnace, go with a heat pump option to the AC for heating. Less $$ over time for fuel plus lower install costs.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    205

    As I've posted before

    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoreno View Post
    I had an HVAC guy come out the other day; a guy working for a company that was recommended to me by a neighbor to quote me a price on what it would cost to replace a Rheem condenser and the heater/coil part inside the house. I know prices aren't to be discussed here so I won't but this guy recommended going with a system made by Goodman, I've never heard of Goodman.

    The house in which I live in is 46 years old and except for the original system which came with the house back in 1962 which was a Fedders everything since that time has been a Rheem. I'm on my third Rheem system. The 3 ton Rheem condenser out in the yard was installed new in 1992 and the other part of the system inside the house, also a Rheem was installed new in 1997. This particular company doesn't handle Rheem, they handle Goodman, Carrier, Lenox and Trane. Is Goodman a good brand to consider?


    The parts he recommended installing are as follows:

    Goodman 3 ton GSC130361 - SEER 13
    Goodman 3 ton evap. coil #CAPF3636A6
    Goodman gas furnace #GMH80703AN



    Stevoreno
    06/27/08
    My brother has a Goodman packaged unit installed on an old, leaky house.
    Believe me it keeps his house nice and chilly. No issues but I really hate the filter placement and weird size, but its his system.

    I seriously considering an Amana 18 SEER HP next spring-same company.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Houston Texas
    Posts
    6,325
    Quote Originally Posted by junkhound View Post
    My experience with Goodman with copeland scroll compressors has been good.
    (Never used them before 2003 however, and nothing with other than the copeland scroll compressor)

    Since you live in Mississippi, I'd suggest to discuss with your installer NOT installing the gas furnace, go with a heat pump option to the AC for heating. Less $$ over time for fuel plus lower install costs.

    How is it going to cost less to install a heat pump with an electric air handler when they currently have gas heat? They will need to have a 220V circuit installed which could easily require an electrical panel upgrade especially on a home built in 1962.

    Some of you people don't think through your recommendations just spout the first think that makes you think you are smart.

    Steve Goodman is a good product is properly sized and installed. You might wish to consider upgrading to a 14 SEER unit or even a 16 SEER. Upgrading to a GMV8 variable speed furnace will improve A/C efficiency and humidity control. Your contractor can help you decide if a heat pump is a good option and you can install a heat pump with gas heat and this may be the most efficient option long term.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    843
    Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    How is it going to cost less to install a heat pump with an electric air handler when they currently have gas heat? They will need to have a 220V circuit installed which could easily require an electrical panel upgrade especially on a home built in 1962.

    Some of you people don't think through your recommendations just spout the first think that makes you think you are smart.

    Steve Goodman is a good product is properly sized and installed. You might wish to consider upgrading to a 14 SEER unit or even a 16 SEER. Upgrading to a GMV8 variable speed furnace will improve A/C efficiency and humidity control. Your contractor can help you decide if a heat pump is a good option and you can install a heat pump with gas heat and this may be the most efficient option long term.
    Actually you know you can install a gas fired furnace with a heatpump, its called a dual fuel solution. that way you get the heatpump to save money but when its cold outside and the heatpump underperforms the thermostat turns the furnace on, and cycles the heat pump off.

    But what do I know, I'm just trying to act smart. Respect me!!
    Global Warming or: None like it hot
    No pleasure, no rapture, no exquisite sin greater... than central air. -Dogma

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    chicago, il
    Posts
    25
    im not a fan of goodman products. units are noisey, contactor coil on units go bad within first year or two, and also the control board. my advice to you is check out consumer reports and talk to other contractors in your area.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    205

    I have

    Quote Originally Posted by tessmer View Post
    im not a fan of goodman products. units are noisey, contactor coil on units go bad within first year or two, and also the control board. my advice to you is check out consumer reports and talk to other contractors in your area.
    and they come recommended. No they're not the Lexus of the HVAC world but they cost less than Trane/Carrier/Lennox and w/the right install I don't see a problem.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NW burbs of Detroit
    Posts
    6,058
    Quote Originally Posted by RomulanSpy View Post
    and they come recommended. No they're not the Lexus of the HVAC world but they cost less than Trane/Carrier/Lennox and w/the right install I don't see a problem.
    And the aforementioned brands have nothing over on Goodman from a technology stand point either.

    With a few exception you can get almost any type of system from any other of the brands mentioned that your heart desires.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas,NV
    Posts
    746
    Quote Originally Posted by tessmer View Post
    im not a fan of goodman products. units are noisey, contactor coil on units go bad within first year or two, and also the control board. my advice to you is check out consumer reports and talk to other contractors in your area.
    I wouldnt take too seriously what this guy says, he is a new member and talkin smack! I've not seen the two year contactor issue yet, control boards will eventually go bad on any brand and consumer reports is the last place you want to look for a central air recommendation


    Consumer reports doesnt take into account how many of those units were installed improperly, they just make you think one brand is great and the other a pos.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    chicago, il
    Posts
    25
    here in chicago, it is well known that goodman is garbage. it is considered a 5yr band aid till the customer can afford a more reliable piece of equipment

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Twilight Zone
    Posts
    2,964
    Quote Originally Posted by tessmer View Post
    im not a fan of goodman products. units are noisey, contactor coil on units go bad within first year or two, and also the control board. my advice to you is check out consumer reports and talk to other contractors in your area.
    You can't be serious.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by tessmer View Post
    here in chicago, it is well known that goodman is garbage. it is considered a 5yr band aid till the customer can afford a more reliable piece of equipment
    Yet they come with Lifetime warranty on compressors, and ten years on the rest of the unit.
    Clay

Page 1 of 23 1234567811 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event