Upgrading to Digital Thermostat

I'm upgrading an old mechanical thermostat to a digital one. I've read up on-line about this and also have looked over the manual for the digital thermostat I will be hooking up - seems simple from an electrical and install point.

The only problem is the wiring is a bit confusing. My system (aw24-05c) I believe is a single stage heat pump and has 5 wires (see picture). The manual (http://noblewinds.info/Hunter/ThermIns/44550.pdf) indicates that the only heat pump wiring uses no white wire and a jumper between RC and RH. The system I have has a white wire in use and no jumpers in the current setup - however it has an Orange wire/connection confirming that it is a heat pump present.

I'm guessing that I should go ahead and connect the white wire and add a jumper and hopefully it will work.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Name:  ACStuff 006.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  32.7 KB

Name:  ACStuff 011.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  55.6 KB

Thumbs up hey

u neeed to calll a contractor budddy?????

Quote Originally Posted by alphanode View Post
    I'm upgrading an old mechanical thermostat to a digital one. I've read up on-line about this and also have looked over the manual for the digital thermostat I will be hooking up - seems simple from an electrical and install point.

The only problem is the wiring is a bit confusing. My system (aw24-05c) I believe is a single stage heat pump and has 5 wires (see picture). The manual (http://noblewinds.info/Hunter/ThermIns/44550.pdf) indicates that the only heat pump wiring uses no white wire and a jumper between RC and RH. The system I have has a white wire in use and no jumpers in the current setup - however it has an Orange wire/connection confirming that it is a heat pump present.

I'm guessing that I should go ahead and connect the white wire and add a jumper and hopefully it will work.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Name:  ACStuff 006.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  32.7 KB

Name:  ACStuff 011.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  55.6 KB

Colors don't mean as much as they should. Voltage should be verified with the install.....installing wrong could cost 3 to 10 times more than the stat itself if it's wired wrong.

Oh yeah rules sate no DIY.

Go slowly here, you're closing in on possibly creating a dead short in the 24v section and blowing a fuse (lucky) or a board (luck runs out). Without a tech or at least a digital multimeter to verify whether there is a 'common' run to your thermostat - if you guess poorly and land common on either RC or RH it will short out. I've fixed too many of these DIY jobs to count - and it's not well documented in the typical Home Center TStat diagrams. When was your last service? Might be good to let a tech do this?

Hunter makes a great fan.
    Crappy thermostat.

Did I mention they make a great fan.

Sorry, this is not a DIY site, please read the rules, Thank you.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I love Hunter stats, I make money changing them out

Thanks and sorry.

Thanks for the reply guys.

I only need the thermostat to last 1-2 years, but based on your advice, i'll look around to see if i can find something slightly better.

I thought this would be a simple matter with a simple answer, but apparently I was incorrect. I actually read the rules and saw the no DIY, however it said "Please do not ask for step by step instructions on purchasing, installing or repairing your own HVAC equipment," and, as I said before - thought this was as simple question."

Thanks again for the advice and sorry for breaking the rules