Tree fell on Heat Pump model #38YKC024300

I think this is called a split system with the heat pump outside and an air handler w/ filter in the attic. It's a Carrier model that appears to be from 1996, my wife and I moved in in 2005. The model # is 38YKC024300

A large tree fell on the heat pump and smashed it. The HVAC folks who have come by for estimates tell me that it's not a good idea to replace the heat pump with an 2008 model without also replacing the 1996 air handler in the attic. It sounds reasonable but I'm not sure I can get the insurance company to agree. Any advice on if I should replace both Heat Pump and Air Handler? I'm trying not to waste money where I don't have to. For all I know the current Air Handler will last forever. What are the consequences if I just replace the heat pump unit that got smashed by the tree?

Thanks very much!

Richard

"What are the consequences if I just replace the heatpump"? It won't match with the coil in the air handeler. The air handeler may be fine, and last forever, but the indoor coil won't match, and with a heat pump, you want a good match to get the efficiency.
    If you're going to do a heatpump, it's got to be done right, or don't bother.

Could run into charge imbalance issues between heating and cooling seasons from what I hear. It's worse when you have a larger SEER outdoor unit. You also void the manufacturer's warranty apparently. If the insurance won't do both, then I think it'd be in your best interest to cover the indoor half and have an efficient, matched system with a manufacturer's warranty. Just my opinion.

You won't get the cooling or heating capacity from teh new outdoor unit. And teh manufacturer may void warranty on the compressor if it fails inside of normal warranty period.
    I don't think you'll have a problem with your insurance company.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thanks everyone!

All,
    Thanks very much for your help. I'll definitely have both replaced.

--Richard

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Depends on the model/capacity of the existing air handler,could be okay.If insurance will cover it ,you likely have higher SEER with a new air handler.

Good time to take the insurance money and add some to get higher SEER/HSPF.