Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confused dumb but important ?

i have an evcon heat pump. ive installed units but never serviced one. is there some kind of pressure/temp reading or something that will determine the proper charging procedure, since i dont want to over or under charge. it holds 5 lbs of r/22. any help would be appreciated.

Twilli says read manual on charging procedure
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Confused

solsberry says he no have manual for unit. service tech costs too much, want to do work myself, save money for gas companies!! seriously, where can i get this manual & which one is the most informative??

You will need a few things. Go to your supply house and ask for a charging calculator. You will need a method of reading the temperature of your liquid or suction line as well as indoor and outdoor temperature. A set of gauges and quite possibly a psychrometer. If you have a piston, use superheat, if you have a TXV, then subcooling. If all this means nothing to you. I would spring for a tech, otherwise you might spend more money in the end. Why don't you just get one of the tech's where you work at to come and help you out? Buy him a 12 pack or pay him a few $$$ cash. I help our installers out when they need it. It makes my job easier in the long run.

I don't think he works for an HVAC company anymore.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I don't think he works for an HVAC company anymore.
    He could have a problem then.

It will probably be cheaper to pay someone to charge your system versus buying all the equipment to do it yourself. There is a good chance you will not understand what you are doing if you have not done it before. It is quite confusing to read superheat/supercooling the first go around. Plus you never feel comfortable you have done it right until you get some experience. I can say that i am a fairly new contractor and I am still getting comfortable with my ability to measure proper charge. I assume you are only doing this for your own personal system and will not need these tools much in the future. They are kinda expensive to buy for one use. Come on...you gotta have some good HVAC contractors as contacts, if you are an installer.

retired fitter

appreciate your comments. i have the gauges for r/22 & a universal license, so i could buy r/22. im retired so dont have contacts in hvac since i moved away. i thought it would be similar to charging a car. (ambient/press.etc). i didnt realize there were some deep dark secrets involving heat pumps! im familiar with some of the terms used in the trade. to illustrate, i would install gas/oil fired boilers, but a service tech would come in to tune them. i just never got into that end of the trade. these guys even had a separate license! looks like i need some kind of illustrated trade manual that would express how to charge a heat pump properly

1st the site does not allow technical advice on this section of the message board do to a no DIY policy.

2nd as an installer there are things you probably never learned to do that you need to know as a service tech to make sure you can determine the root cause of the problem, you can't just gas and go like a car. anyone can just read all the required temps and pressures but without experience this is just a bunch of numbers. You would be farther ahead to call a guy out now instead of later and having to replace a compressor or something because you over charged a sytem that wasn't low but actually had a restriction or something.
    You can't fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by solsberry View Post
    appreciate your comments. i have the gauges for r/22 & a universal license, so i could buy r/22. im retired so dont have contacts in hvac since i moved away. i thought it would be similar to charging a car. (ambient/press.etc). i didnt realize there were some deep dark secrets involving heat pumps!
    What are you talking about? With digital thermometer, gauges it is pretty simple procedure. You measure suction line temp and subtract saturation temp read right from your compound gauge connected to sl - you got your superheat. Or you can always use pressure chart from many many inet sites. Question would be - whats next? Installer manual - is very very helpful. I am not a pro. In my case installer manual spells out correct charging method. 608-I permits you to work on 5#.

No DIY instructions in the open forims.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

No one's going to tell him about the beer can method?
    Proud supporter of Springfield Millers and Oregon Ducks.

me again

looks like ill go to my grave without knowing the secret to charging a heat pump. as i meditate on some of the comments, i know ill never understand the true workings of that thing behind the house with a big tube & a small tube that makes a whirring noise & is hot in the summer time!! even if you guys answered my ? id be too stupid to understand. ill just watch the "professional" more closely when he "services" that thing in the back yard. ps does the red hose go on the little tube or the big sweatty one?
    Last edited by solsberry; 06-27-2008 at 08:28 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast