Hybrid View

Confused dumb but important ?

i have an evcon heat pump. ive installed units but never serviced one. is there some kind of pressure/temp reading or something that will determine the proper charging procedure, since i dont want to over or under charge. it holds 5 lbs of r/22. any help would be appreciated.

Twilli says read manual on charging procedure
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Confused

solsberry says he no have manual for unit. service tech costs too much, want to do work myself, save money for gas companies!! seriously, where can i get this manual & which one is the most informative??

You will need a few things. Go to your supply house and ask for a charging calculator. You will need a method of reading the temperature of your liquid or suction line as well as indoor and outdoor temperature. A set of gauges and quite possibly a psychrometer. If you have a piston, use superheat, if you have a TXV, then subcooling. If all this means nothing to you. I would spring for a tech, otherwise you might spend more money in the end. Why don't you just get one of the tech's where you work at to come and help you out? Buy him a 12 pack or pay him a few $$$ cash. I help our installers out when they need it. It makes my job easier in the long run.

I don't think he works for an HVAC company anymore.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I don't think he works for an HVAC company anymore.
    He could have a problem then.

It will probably be cheaper to pay someone to charge your system versus buying all the equipment to do it yourself. There is a good chance you will not understand what you are doing if you have not done it before. It is quite confusing to read superheat/supercooling the first go around. Plus you never feel comfortable you have done it right until you get some experience. I can say that i am a fairly new contractor and I am still getting comfortable with my ability to measure proper charge. I assume you are only doing this for your own personal system and will not need these tools much in the future. They are kinda expensive to buy for one use. Come on...you gotta have some good HVAC contractors as contacts, if you are an installer.

last response from retiree

hi guys, ill try to respond to all the responses without hurting anyones feelings. 1: didnt realize i was intruding on your livelihoods. 2:how do some of you find the time to keep posting when there is work to be done in the field? 3: cmajerus, browntigerus & beenthere were all helpful replies; as to smitty thanks but youre too far away (gas 4.20/gal); millerman:couldnt find any info on miller can! aircooled:i got 9 out of 10 right on the list, actually it was helpful i didnt know this was a bible quoting site but since its ok to quote it, all the wise guys might want read proverbs 26:4. & to mrfixit, bye bye

me again

looks like ill go to my grave without knowing the secret to charging a heat pump. as i meditate on some of the comments, i know ill never understand the true workings of that thing behind the house with a big tube & a small tube that makes a whirring noise & is hot in the summer time!! even if you guys answered my ? id be too stupid to understand. ill just watch the "professional" more closely when he "services" that thing in the back yard. ps does the red hose go on the little tube or the big sweatty one?
    Last edited by solsberry; 06-27-2008 at 08:28 PM.

don't be sad solsberry, if i ever need a steam fitter i'll call you, but if you ever need an a/c tech don't call me!
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by solsberry View Post
    looks like ill go to my grave without knowing the secret to charging a heat pump.
    I am not going to waste my efforts. I spelled it out. You sounds like a person who sees naked woman and asks if she has a use manual.

First off, if you don't know How to charge a unit , then you should not being working on it.

1) determine inside temp.
    2) determine humidity
    3) determine line-set length
    4) determine cfm setting
    5) check suction line pressure
    6) check liquid line pressure
    7) check superheat
    8) check sub-cooling
    9) check Delta ^ across coil
    10) Check R.H.- Static pressure

If you can't determine these , then maybe it's time to call in a PRO.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Diyer, Please Leave!