Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacguru69 View Post
    i hope that whoever sold you on the idea has let you know that fuel oil has almost twice the btu output of nat. gas at the same comparable price.

The only thing you have to be sure about, is nat. gas going to deliver the comfort to your home that fuel fuel oil has delivered in the cold blistery winter canadian nights?
    I'll let you make the conversion to Canadian money and metric volumes.

Oil, at $4.00 US dollars a gallion, is $34.80 for 1 million BTUs, at 82% efficiency.
    Nat Gas at $3.25 a Therm, is $34.20 for 1 million BTUs, at 95% efficiency.

Although oil is higher then that in my area. NG is only $1.71 per therm in my area. Nat gas has to have a very high price before it cost more to use then oil.

100,000 BTUs, weather generated by oil or gas, heats the same, at the same outdoor temps.

That "Gas does not heat as well" line is an old oil company misleading sales tactic.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

i just wanted to say that changing from fuel oil to nat. gas is going to be a big change for you. i hope that whoever sold you on the idea has let you know that fuel oil has almost twice the btu output of nat. gas at the same comparable price.
    What country do you live in, that has natural gas priced so high or diluted so much that it does not heat as well as oil or cost more?

In my state (Maryland), Natural Gas is the cheapest fossil fuel to heat with, bar none- and I ran the numbers.

-HF

you are right in thinking that the longivity and effieciency of your new furnace has alot to do with the install of the equipment. i just wanted to say that changing from fuel oil to nat. gas is going to be a big change for you. i hope that whoever sold you on the idea has let you know that fuel oil has almost twice the btu output of nat. gas at the same comparable price. im guessing that you are most likely sick of the smell of fuel oil and frequent stops to your home by the oil man, not to mention the high cost of the oil.
    I have been offline for a while (and still haven't made up my mind, except to say that I am fairly sure that I am not going with Goodman because my initial gut instinct told me that I wanted a better established brand and I have had some confirmation) But in response to the oil vs gas piece; we spent $2800 on oil last year to heat our house (and thats down from the previous owner who spent $3100/yr) I have talked to all of my neighbours who have the same style of house with roughly the same sq. footage and the same crappy insulation levels (i.e. none) and they are spending roughly $1400 to heat their houses with gas.... I could crank the heat up to 25 degrees celcius and still be saving money! Not to mention dreading going into the basement to see how much oil we have blown through or seeing one of those little pink slips in my mailbox that says I owe the oil company $600 this month! But the best part will be when we get our natural gas BBQ and we will never have to go fill up the propane tank again... especially when it runs out half way through cooking your steak!

Quote Originally Posted by machery View Post
    What ever you go with, I would add more insulation to your attic. You stated an r-19, r-30 and r-38 are norms now. That will help you a bit too.
    Yep, already on it!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123