Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Screwy logic with Lennox's Mod. Uses a 2 stage stat. Once stat calls for higher fire, won't go back down. How smart is that? Rheem's Mod still the only one that uses a stat that knows setpoint and room temp and tells the furnace what to do based on that. Nordyne's new one I hear will do it by stat too. No data on it yet that I've seen beyond hearing that.

the new lennox comfort sense stat doesn't modulate furnace back down on a G71? anyone know?
    "The things you own end up owning you. "

Tyler Durden

I think that I don't want to go as high as a mod...

So then which one should I choose? Lennox G61-70 or YorkPV9B1N06UP11?

On another note, one of the contractors said that I needed a new warm air plenum... what is a warm air plenum, and why do I need it? And he also said that I need a new a-frame for my old air conditioner that is being moved?

i like lennox personally but i'm bias because thats what i install on a daily basis....warm air plenum i'm guessing its the supply plenum. its where the furnace connects to the ductwork. the new furnace might have entirely different dimensions, and the contractor might want to replace it rather than building a transition from the old ductwork. don't know what he means by an A frame. if your gonna live in the house for awhile go with lennox or york for that matter, if your only gonna liv e there for a few more yrs. buy the goodman. my opinion.
    "The things you own end up owning you. "

Tyler Durden

You should buy the Goodman or the York because I don't sell Lennox

OH wait! You are not in my territory, so it don't matter

The Goodman has the best warranty and is easiest to set up for dehumidification.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Also,

I have heard two different methods for moving the A/C, a couple of the contractors said that they would force the fluid into the compressor and pinch the line... and one of the contractors said that this was a bad method for moving the A/C... he said that they have a special machine that drains the system completely... Is forcing all of the refrigerant into the compressor bad?

Quote Originally Posted by jturcott View Post
    Also,

I have heard two different methods for moving the A/C, a couple of the contractors said that they would force the fluid into the compressor and pinch the line... and one of the contractors said that this was a bad method for moving the A/C... he said that they have a special machine that drains the system completely... Is forcing all of the refrigerant into the compressor bad?
    Either way is acceptable as long as the existing filter/drier is replaced and the opened section(s) of the system are properly evacuated before reinstalling the refrigerant.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

I have installed and serviced all three of these units always working for a lennox dealer though. As far as I'm concerned about your decision I would say first go with a company you can trust, a furnace is only as good as the man standing behind it. Second York has unusual micro amperage which means more expensive parts mainly. Goodman is a quality furnace for a tight budget
    but the least reliable from my experience. Lennox has always been inovative
    but make some very standard reliable models. The best of luck to you.

[QUOTE=jturcott;1905634]
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I discounted the mod because I am not sure that I am comfortable with technology that York has only had for 2 years. Should I be considering the York Mod?
    I'm a homeowner who went through the whole selection process this past Winter. I went with a comparable unit, a (Rheem) Mod gas furnace with a VS (Variable Speed) fan (similar to the Multi-Speed on the York). I might have gone with York but it was matched to an existing Rheem Heat Pump (dual fuel) and I thought it best to match them.

The fan runs at a very low speed all the time, also with a very low current draw (about 60W). This not just filters the air constantly but helps eliminate hot and cold spots around the house. It is so slow that it is hardly noticeable and certainly not audible, but it does make a difference in upstairs/downstairs and especially that one cold/hot room in the far corner of the house. It is not a cure-all for bad ducting, but it does help.

Like you, I found the price difference small to go from two-stage to the top-of-the-line model. I'm sure the 2-stage would be plenty good enough, but I love my Mod furnace and the VS fan, it makes my Heat Pump all the nicer as well, blowing gentle warm air instead of tepid torrid air, and in A/C mode better coverage of that odd room in the corner.

The Lennox probably has similar features.

Given your insulation situation, I would recommend the upgrade to either the Lennox or York with a VS or MS fan. On really cold days, I bet you'll not find yourself fiddling with the thermostat when you move from room to room.

-HF

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Actually Goodman brand products have an aluminized steel exchanger. The Amana brand units have stainless.
    warranty for goodman and amana= lifetime for original owner. as i said, i took the factory tour in houston and watched them make stainless heat xchangers.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

[QUOTE=hangfirew8;1905898]
    Quote Originally Posted by jturcott View Post

I went with a comparable unit, a (Rheem) Mod gas furnace with a VS (Variable Speed) fan (similar to the Multi-Speed on the York).
    No its not similar to the Multispeed on the York. Thats a whole other technology.
    Its similar to the York VS mod.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

What ever you go with, I would add more insulation to your attic. You stated an r-19, r-30 and r-38 are norms now. That will help you a bit too.

you are right in thinking that the longivity and effieciency of your new furnace has alot to do with the install of the equipment. i just wanted to say that changing from fuel oil to nat. gas is going to be a big change for you. i hope that whoever sold you on the idea has let you know that fuel oil has almost twice the btu output of nat. gas at the same comparable price. im guessing that you are most likely sick of the smell of fuel oil and frequent stops to your home by the oil man, not to mention the high cost of the oil. the only thing you have to be sure about, is nat. gas going to deliver the comfort to your home that fuel fuel oil has delivered in the cold blistery winter canadian nights? the only other thing to be absolutely sure of, is that when the new gas furnace is installed, you need to check the location of your plastic flue pipe terminations. what im getting to, is that you make sure there is no possible way for them to be covered by snow. usually i see the terminations only 24 inches off the top of a roof. 2 feet is probably not high enough to ensure snow will not cover them. and if they get terminated out of a side wall of your home or basement, only you know which locations are suseptible to high snow drifts. with all of these considerations taken into account, i personally would recommend the york system. the goodman has a good warranty and really a pretty good piece of equipment. goodman has come along way in the last 5 years as far as quality is concerned. however i do not recommend lennox, other than being an absolute service nightmare, the parts can sometimes be very difficult to find 5 years from now thats not some sort of retro conversion. the york though, in my opinion will give you the most smiles. and in the unlikely event that this reply has changed your mind of converting to nat. gas, may i strongly suggest thermo pride oil furnaces, they are the best oil furnaces money can buy by far, and i can assure most hvac guys on this site that deal with oil would second that notion. best of luck in your ventures!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast