Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Goodman vs Lennox vs York

Hello,

I was hoping to get some professional opinions on some furnace options that I am considering...

We are converting from oil to gas and we have chosen to go with a DC variable speed furnace with an AFUE of 92% or greater.
    I have had several quotes on a new furnace; the prices have ranged wildly but I have narrowed my choices down to three;

Goodman GMV95, 95% AFUE Variable-Speed gas furnace (cheapest price)

Lennox Elite Series G61V - 070, 94.1% AFUE Variable-Speed gas furnace (a couple hundred more)

York Affinity PV9B2N060UP11, 95% AFUE Variable-Speed gas furnace (most expensive by about 15% from cheapest)

I am wondering which furnace to get, I have heard good and bad about them all. I have also heard that it is the contractor who performs the work and not the equipment that makes the difference. That being said, no one performed a load calc., they all said that the btu for my house was between 60, 000 and 70, 000 (the difference being the furnace manufacturer and the increments that they use) I have checked them all out with the BBB and they either have no complaints or the complaints have been dealt with and they all stand by their product...

Please help!

Quote Originally Posted by jturcott View Post
    no one performed a load calc., they all said that the btu for my house was between 60, 000 and 70, 000
    What is the size/age/construction of your house? What is your current heating system type and size?

I would lean towards the York, but that is strictly personal preference.

-HF

New Furnace

Ok I have to agree with hangfire. York is an excellent piece of equipment but so is Lennox. However your contractor should have done a load calc to verify that the first unit was sized correctly and that any changes to the home have not changed the load.
    Personally I don’t care for Goodman. Never have liked their equipment and probably never will. They have had a lot of recalls lately.
    Go with the York or Lennox and have your contractor do a load calc and ask for the report.
    just when they make something idiot proof along comes a better idiot

i'm gonna have to at least take up for goodmans heat exchanger. its stainless, tubular and has a lifetime warranty,(for the original owner).
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

Confused Goodman vs Lennox vs York

Hi hangfirew8,

Sorry for the lack of details, my fiance told me not to write an essay!

Our house was built in 1919, it is a one and a half storey with brick on the lower level and john mansfield siding on the upper level. The inside walls are lath and plaster construction. I would say 60% brick and 40 % siding all together. There is nil for insulation in any of our walls. The house is 1250 sq. ft. We recently installed 19 (4 of which are in the basement) retrofit windows that are triple glaze, low-e. as well as two new doors. We have a full basement which approx. 5' is underground and is currently unfinshed and in the process of becoming finished with R14 insulation. We heat with forced air and have a monster York oil furnace that is hard to size as (from what I am told by the contractors that have already been here) it would depend on the size of the nozzle (?) that emits the oil. I personally feel that the current furnace is oversized as it cycles very frequently and for short periods of time. We are switching to gas. The roof is a darkish brown asphalt tile and the attic has approx. R 19 blown in insulation in it. One other thing that is probably prudent to mention is that there are no cold air returns on the second floor.

I am just confused because I like the price of the Goodman furnace but don't want a furnace that will only last 15 years or less. York has a great name that I feel more compelled to trust; but I don't like the price tag, and is there really cause for me to believe that the York will last 20+ years, and Lennox I am just on the fence about...

Any advice would be much appreciated...

Well, since you don't like the price of teh York 2 stage, I won't tell you to check out the York Mod.

I'm partial to York also.
    Nothing wrong with the Goodman.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by smittyii View Post
    i'm gonna have to at least take up for goodmans heat exchanger. its stainless, tubular and has a lifetime warranty,(for the original owner).
    Actually Goodman brand products have an aluminized steel exchanger. The Amana brand units have stainless.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    The Amana brand units have stainless.
    But not the Amana Distinctions, they are just relabeled Goodmans.
    Contractor locator map

Exactly, I should have been clear. Model # has to start with A!

Goodman vs Lennox vs York

[QUOTE=beenthere;1905562]Well, since you don't like the price of teh York 2 stage, I won't tell you to check out the York Mod.

Well, actually I did get a quote on the York mod as well, it was only $200 more than the 2 stage... but I discounted the mod because I am not sure that I am comfortable with technology that York has only had for 2 years. Should I be considering the York Mod?

Very nice unit.
    Tends to help eliminate/cover up drafts in the house.
    Its a comfort unit. Has Limited Lifetime warranty on the heat exchanger.
    Contractor locator map

Why not Lennox G-71? Fully mod.

Its been out for less time then the York mod.
    Contractor locator map

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast