Unico and Geothermal?

Unico and Geothermal?

I have installed a few Unico systems, including my home which was my very first Unico install. Right now I have a 2 zone Oil fired hydro air system. My 2 Unico units are the MB2436L air handlers one with just the heating coil, the other has the heating and evaporator coils. I want to install Geothermal, but there are many who don't know/understand high velocity and automatically assume geothermal cannot work with a Unico delivery system.

I am wondering if I can remove the Evaporator from the attic unit and add the water chiller coils to both units. So I would have the chiller coils connected to the geothermal and the heating coils still connected to the Oil fired for second stage heat if temps drop below 0 and geo can't keep up.

All I hear is nay nay nay, but cannot figure out why? I can run a 1.5 ton geo heat pump to the 900 sq/;ft second floor air handler and a 2 ton to the 1200 sq/ft first floor. As long as my Unico system is running correctly, and delivering the proper CFMs to each room, what can't this work?

Thanks,
    Dane

i am doing the same thing next week. it will work, and has been done many times in some big name houses. the best way to do this is with a dx geo system. you can get great heating and cooling with this type of system. what type of geo are you looking at? what area are you from?

I am in Charlton, MA, just SW of Worcester.
    Funny, I am looking into the Earthlink DX, seems like with my yard it would be a good fit. I am open to a closed loop with HDPE also. The well option is not good for me, my land is real wet in the winter, wet like a lake wet. I had one Geo expert want to do an open loop back into my well with a dry well also just in case I cooled my well water down too much. I told him a dry well would be full of water from the high water table alone, nevermind adding 2-3 GPM into it.

Anyway, I don't want to replace my Unico if I can help it.

Which DX systems are you familliar with?

Thanks,
    dane

earth to air is my preferance. water should not be a problem with this system because of the special grout the use in the well. i would look into this before making a decision.