Thread: No condensate from HVAC drain

Post Likes

Question No condensate from HVAC drain

I am a first time homeowner of a 45 year old ranch with a 22 year old HVAC, and the condensate line drain for the AC is dry, although the 22 year old system is working. The outside condenser is clean, but does seem to run a lot, inside filter is replaced at regular frequency. I do have a dehumidifier running in the basement, collecting over 1.5 gallons/day, but the independent humidistat in the basement averages about 70%. At first I thought it was a clogged line, but it is not. How do I without knowledge of HVAC systems or local contractors/service personnel depend on their assessment, as the system is functional--but AC without condensate??? Doesn't make sense to me. Any ideas, how does one approach the problem if there is one? Central Illinois humidity without condensate...? Thanks. John.

Post Likes
    What are your systems pressures?
    sounds like you are low on refrigerant

Post Likes
    Maybe your just looking at the wrong drain line. Many system have a primary drain that connects to the plumbing. The secondary normally goes outside. If you are looking at the secondary, you should hope it never drains from there.

Post Likes
    There is only one drain line to the stand pipe adjacent to the HVAC system. It's a clear flexible tubing that starts from the pan at the bottom of the evaporator coil and runs to the stand pipe, a distance of maybe 4'.

As far as pressures go, I do not have the equipment to check them. But if I'm understanding correctly, you are thinking that I'm getting minimal cooling from the system running a lot, and the stand alone dehumidifier is acting like a slave unit because the system may be low on refrigerant? FYI The stand alone dehumidifier is set to run constantly on high.

Post Likes
    what is the humidity in the house? is the unit cooling right? maybe there is'nt that much humidty in the house so the evap won't hold on to it . There are to many factors to look at with your minimal information

Post Likes

Arrow Required Trouble Shooting Data

Quote Originally Posted by rascally View Post
    There is only one drain line to the stand pipe adjacent to the HVAC system. It's a clear flexible tubing that starts from the pan at the bottom of the evaporator coil and runs to the stand pipe, a distance of maybe 4'.

As far as pressures go, I do not have the equipment to check them. But if I'm understanding correctly, you are thinking that I'm getting minimal cooling from the system running a lot, and the stand alone dehumidifier is acting like a slave unit because the system may be low on refrigerant? FYI The stand alone dehumidifier is set to run constantly on high.
    My advice: get a low cost humidity gage at a local hardware store & see what the percentage-RH is in your home, I can cross-reference that to the wet bulb depression.

TROUBLE SHOOTING DATA
    Age a unit & EER or SEER Rating ________
    SF of home & major city near you __________
    Outdoor temperature: _____________
    Outdoor condenser’s DB discharge-air-temperature ___

In-Door temp DB and WB: ___________
    Air Handler's Total-ESP: _____________
    Suction-Vapor line temperature: ____________
    Liquid line temperature: ______________
    Superheat & Subcooling: _____________
    Return air temp DB and WB, or %RH: ____________
    Supply air temp DB and WB, or %RH: ____________

If you want meaningful help, provide us with most, if not all, of the above EASY TO TAKE data.

Then perhaps, we can ballpark an opinion on what the unit is doing.

Post Likes
    He said the outdoor unit seem to run alot, betcha the condenser fan is turnin, but the compressor isn't, no compressor, no cold evaporator, no condensation.
    "Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding." Einstein

Post Likes
    Is it maintaining temp.
    If your basement is humidistat is reading 70%RH, and your getting less then 2 gallions of water a day from your dehumidifier. Either the humidistat is wrong, or your dehumidifier isn't working right either.

What temp do you set your thermostat for, and does it maintain that temp.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in