Energy efficiency of waterheater

Ruud

Model: RG50-50CM
    Serial: 0791J97815

Capacity: 50 US Gallons
    50,000 BTU
    Recovery - 42 (?)

Installed - 1991

What's the energy factor of this old gas waterheater? Were waterheaters even rated in the early 90s?

I'm curious to know if today's natural draft models are significantly more efficient than what I have. I looked at the specs of new models and they're all piss poor - ranging from 0.58 to 0.60.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

prolly about a .56 based on the age.

Whirlpool has a .65 ef gas water heater. Lowes carries it.
    Good water heater.

Tankless gas units ( I like to put them on exterior wall and not have to buy the venting and cut a hole in the roof) achieve up to .82 energy factor, and it seems like I have seen a couple that were .85

best of luck.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Here is a site with lots of ratings and other good info:

http://www.gamanet.org/gama/inforeso...ct+Directories

thanks mchild...I forgot to include the gamma site.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Thanks - I think GAMA only lists current products online.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"