Thread: Compressor Failure

Post Likes

Compressor Failure

Replaced compressor and Reversing valve on 3 ton Gibson. Pilot line broke off on valve and compressor shorted starting with no R-22. Now 2 mos later the compressor sounds like it has a mouth full of marbles. How much bad luck can one customer have?
    I added a bi flow dryer not on orginal install, used Nitrogen during reassembly
    pulled a good vaccum ( with micron gage attached ) am I overlooking something?or is it just bad luck?
    Ken

Post Likes
    Might want to put a filter in the vapor line between accumilator and compressor next time.

Post Likes

filter in the vapor line

I have never seen a filter in suction line, The unit seems to have a bad bearing in the compressor, would any debree that happens to make it throught the accum. cause bearing failure?
    Ken

Post Likes
    first thing you need to do is find out what killed the first compressor!!!

If you don't have that knowledge, how can you prevent it from happening again???
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes
    It use to be very common to install a filter in the vapor line between the accumilator and compressor.

The RV may have left a lot of moisture get under the oil in the accumilator.
    Yes trash can gt to the bearings.

Post Likes
    It use to be very common to install a filter in the vapor line between the accumilator and compressor.

The RV may have left a lot of moisture get under the oil in the accumilator.
    Yes trash can gt to the bearings.

Post Likes
    I'll put a suction line drier right before it goes into the compressor if it was a bad burnout. Especially on a heat pump. You need to check the entire system very well to determine what might have caused the compressor to go out so soon again. Somethings going on. It might have been a bunk compressor, probably not, but you never know. I got a bunk replacement compressor once. Changed it again after checking out system and haven't been back in 4 years for the compressor.

Post Likes
    What kind of data can you provide from the first change out?

Post Likes

??

I didn't install this unit , just ended up with it . The unit is a 12 seer Gibson Heat pump. I'm not certain why the unit was replaced, HO said they replaced line sets , really didn't look that way to me. I saw plenty of problems I really didn't like with the install , no Biflow dryer, return too small , disconect not very safe. orginal failure pilot line broke off Reversing valve, ( gibson/ nordine seems to have had a problem with that , unit tried to start with no R-22 compressor shouts out, I replaced details in first post, now 2 mos later compressor seems to have a bad bearing.
    Ken

Post Likes
    Could just be coincidence. Might still be part of the original problem. Could be slugging because of teh poor return. Washed out oil maybe.

Post Likes

Changed the return..

I changed the Return @ 1st Failure, I'm not going to knowing leave a problem with any unit unless the HO just refuses my advice. I just want to be as certain as I can that its not something I may have overlooked that caused the compress to fail, first times kinda straight forward, compressors short out when started with no r-22, the second, maybe just a crappy compressor, not common of a Copeland Scroll But still possible, just trying to do all that I can to insure it doesn't reoccure.
    Ken

Post Likes
    I installed a lot of suction line filter/dryers in my day. I used to change out a lot of compressors in those days, largely due to improper installs, by the super fast install guys.

Maybe the piping needs evaluating for proper oil return to the compressor.
    Every possible compressor failure cause should be checked out.

Post Likes

Never around

You mean the ones that are never around to do any service work???
    Ken

Post Likes
    My guess:

1st ailure caused slugging and acidic oils.....

2nd install wasn't cleaned properly and contaminated.

see where we go from here for the 3rd install.

cheap acid test kit? *shrugz shoulders*
    Last edited by BigJon3475; 06-25-2008 at 09:41 PM.

Post Likes
    Or, how about this.

First failure was because of trash/contaiminates in system. By coincidence the pilot tube broke from the wild vibrations of the compressor.
    When he gets there and sees the pilot tub. Logic says the pilot line breaking took out the compressor. So unsuspecting, installs new comp goes without protection from trash in accumilator.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Or, how about this.

First failure was because of trash/contaiminates in system. By coincidence the pilot tube broke from the wild vibrations of the compressor.
    When he gets there and sees the pilot tub. Logic says the pilot line breaking took out the compressor. So unsuspecting, installs new comp goes without protection from trash in accumilator.
    Probably more likely.....

I was guessing with a couple beers in me...

I was also expecting to win the lottery tonight.

Post Likes
    You could have sent me one of those beers.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    You could have sent me one of those beers.

That's my goal......the more I suckup from you folks the closer I get to transporting matter with the .....eeeerrrr.....I guess we will call it brain

I'm very close to contacting Einstein as we speak. I can only work so fast thank you

(vapoooooohrizing beer as we speak)

Post Likes
    If it makes anyone feel better I'm getting ready for tomorrow.

*bumping eye of the tiger"

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in