Thread: Trane XL16i vs XL19i

Post Likes

Trane XL16i vs XL19i

I have decided to upgrade my old Rheem system. Both installers have quoted me on Trane systems and one of them seems to be the most complete in determining what system I need. Both have suggested upgrading from my current 3.5 ton setup to a 4 ton. I also am going to add 8 returns in the home and eliminate the return at the current air handler location. I'm also relocating the airhandler from inside the home to the garage.

The XL19i is only $800 more than the XL16i. Is there any reason not to go for the XL19i? Considering how expensive the overall systems are in the 1st place, the $800 differential between the two is not significant to me.

I live in Orlando and run the A/C almost year round.

Thanks!

Post Likes
    Nope, no reason not to go with the 19i.

Post Likes
    The 19i should do a better job at dehumidifying, and I like the idea of 2 separate compressors to provide a better difference in capacity split in low stage. Only fallback in my opinion is the R22 refrigerant of the 19i. R22 will still be available for some time, however, and if you don't plan on it leaking, then it shouldn't be a huge issue. Still something I would consider, though.

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Taylormade2 View Post
    The XL19i is only $800 more than the XL16i. Is there any reason not to go for the XL19i?

i dont like the staging capacities of the 16

also the 16 is limited by not being able to use the dehumidifying option

it gets technical, but i would go for the 19

Post Likes
    my opinion for what it's worth 16I 2 reasons main being 19Ionly available in r-22, second being 19I stages at 50%/50% and 16I stages at 80%/20% wich equals more low stage operation better dehumidification and less run time at max power take it for what it's worth only an opinion and we all know what opinions are like

Post Likes
    The 19i at 50/100 can dehumidify better.
    The 16i at 67/100 also doesn't have good blower control. Plus, if a heat pump, the 16i has poor performance.
    I'm using compressor capacities, not system.

As far as the cost of R22 down the road.
    Who says R410A isn't going to soar once the demand for it skyrockets in 2010.
    R410A may double in cost.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in