Post R22 refrigerant recovery

Is it possible to pump out the R22 and reuse it after a refrigerant line modification? I want to have a unit moved and need to extend the refrigeration and return line and I'm looking to save the cost of new R22?

Your contractor won't answer that for you?

I can't answer for him so....it is possible.....it would depend on your situation as to if it was a good idea or not.

Sure.
    Of course if you move the unit further away, you still have to pay for some affitional refrigerant.
    Plus recovery cylinder clean out charge.

Your contractor should know how to do it a cheaper way yet.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

When they replace my R22 unit tomorrow and remove all the existing R22 from the lines, what happens to it? Do they recycle it and resell it to another person or does it become some contaminated that it is disposed of?

Quote Originally Posted by Llama View Post
    When they replace my R22 unit tomorrow and remove all the existing R22 from the lines, what happens to it? Do they recycle it and resell it to another person or does it become some contaminated that it is disposed of?
    Any recovered R22 must be recycled/reclaimed. As dealers we need to keep records, and we pay $/lb to have the stuff taken back for recycling or reclaiming. The exact status depends on how clean the refrigerant is. The reclaim/recycle company will either clean and filter it for use as reclaimed refrigerant, or if it is contaminated it will be incinerated.

When you pay the dealer, just remember he has to pay to get rid of the stuff. There is a paper trail that must be kept, and only a licensed recycler/reclaimer can do the work.

paul

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers41 View Post
    Is it possible to pump out the R22 and reuse it after a refrigerant line modification? I want to have a unit moved and need to extend the refrigeration and return line and I'm looking to save the cost of new R22?
    Depending on the original length of the lineset some or all may be able to be pushed back into the condensor. And yes as stated if it is being moved then more will be needed.