Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    New air handlers have multispeed blowers, Either 3 or 4 speed. (low, med low, med high, high) He should be able to set it to a lower speed.
    Are systems (duct work included) generally spec'd to run at a certain speed, or do most run of the mill installers drop the unit it and leave the speed alone? Meaning, if he lowers the speed, will he cause strain someplace else (condensor maybe)?

Unfortunately, most just slap the system in, and don't adjust anything. So you get what you get.

Setting the blower up for what the house needs, doesnn't put strain on anything.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Just a homeowner here. Still, 4.5 tons for 2000 sq ft including the basement in NJ sounds way too much. Your results from HVAC-Calc sound like mine on my 2240 sq ft (NOT including basement) home in the Chicago suburbs. Are you having humidity problems? Why is your basement half the size of the first floor? Partial basement with crawl space? Is the crawl space concrete or gravel/dirt?

Ignore stupid question about humidity. The thread was so long that I forgot the original problem.

Hey Tony0945,

My basement level is half the size of the first floor because half the space is allocated to my garage. As for the humidity levels, I tend to find them higher than I would like (50%+).

OK, I've got a mental picture of your house now. Your climate is similar to mine, house about the same size, HVAC-Calc results about the same. Humidity levels about the same (50+ too high for me too). I would trust the program result and reduce the A/C tonnage. Either ditch the Weatherking or replace it with a 2-ton two stage unit. The second unit might still be too big. I've been to New Jersey on business in various seasons. It's much like mine except not so cold in Winter.

I've got a 3.5 ton single unit and the program called for a 2 ton. My old 3 ton unit gave better humidity performance. Other thoughts:

Consider a whole-house dehumidifier.
    Make sure speed is set for 350 CFM per ton, not 400. 400 CFM per ton is for places like Phoenix or Las Vegas.

Like I said, I'm just a homeowner. I'd like to hear from some pros.

Tony0945,

Thanks for the advise. I really wish I had purchased HVAC-Calc before I replaced my basement AC because I went from a 2 ton to a 2.5 ton thinking that it had to service a larger area than my upstairs unit so it must have been undersized. Little did I know I was already oversized. As for replacing the unit... I wish I could but the only way I can justify (money wise) that is if my upstairs unit is damaged which is why it keeps on leaking freon.

My current installer informed me if the leak is in the coil then I might need to replace the entire unit (outdoor condenser / indoor coil) which I'm hoping is not true or not the case.

As for the CFM's, can this be regulated by lowering my blower speed?

Thanks again everyone and I too would like to hear back from the pros!

Quote Originally Posted by CoquiLostInNY View Post
    Hello,

Has anyone ever used an application called HVAC-Calc? I recently purchased this app and inputted all my info and it told me that for my entire house, about 2,000 sq ft located in Bergen County, NJ I only needed a 2.5 AC unit. I currently have a 2.5 ton unit servicing my lower lever and a 2 ton unit servicing my upper level.
    If you did an accurate Calc data input, then you are way oversized with equipment that is NOT operating worth a hoot!

In addition when I ran the duct calculator its told me that I would need for the following duct sizes;
    Master Bedroom
    -Currently have three 6" flex pipe ducts
    -HVAC Calc reports that I only need one 8" duct

Master Bathroom
    -Currently have one 6" flex pipe duct
    -HVAC Calc reports that I only need one 5" duct

Office / Second Bedroom
    -Currently have two 6" flex pipe ducts
    -HVAC Calc reports that I only need one 6" duct

Baby's Bedroom
    -Currently have two 6" flex pipe duct
    -HVAC Calc reports that I only need one 8" duct

Guest Bathroom
    -Currently have one 6" flex pipe duct
    -HVAC Calc reports that I only need one 5" duct

Does this sound right?
    Is this all on the second floor?
    For now, I would leave the existing supply ductwork alone.

The one thing that I guessed while inputting data into the duct sizing page was my HVAC systems CFM's. I guessed that my two ton unit had 800 cfm but after reading some threads I'm wondering if I put too little.

If anyone would like to see the reports this application can generate let me know and I would be more than willing to send you a copy. From a home-owner's standpoint the app looks pretty cool. My only issue is trying to figure out the duct thing as well as what happens in a split system like the one I currently have. Thanks!

Maintaining <50%RH is throughout the home is Ok. The Midwest/Northeast has been wet/cool without any high cooling loads yet this year. I had a water heater leak soaking the basement bedroom carpet. I have a 90 pint dehu in the utility area that maintains <50%RH. To dry the carpet, I added a couple box fans and another 90 pint dehu. The basement is very dry with two dehus running countinuously. The basement is now dry. More data to follow with one 90 pint dehu set at 45%RH. Posting the data. More to follow. Regards TB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

udarrell,

Yes, all the ducts that I describe in my previous post are all located on the second floor with the 2 ton unit. You mention that I should leave my ducts alone. Is this because no matter what I do with my ductwork I'm screwed because of my crap oversized equipment. Do you have any recommendations such as lowering my blower speed which I plan on asking my installer to do for me tomorrow?

Thanks!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234