Rejuvenating old radiant heat system?

My house was built in 1957. According to the former owner, the house once had radiant heat, but it had been disconnected by the earlier owner prior to 1991. (There are some open pipes sticking out of the concrete floor in the boiler room in the basement. ) The house currently has a boiler-based system that is not connected to the radiant heat.

My brother-in-law sings the praises of radiant heat, and it would be nice since we sleep in the basement.

My guess is that the old radiant heat system was disconnected for a reason, but I don't know what it was. Maybe it leaked, or maybe they didn't use the basement and did not want to bother with it when they upgraded from heating oil to natural gas. Or maybe something else?

What is involved in making such an old system work? How would I find a contractor who would know how to do this right? What kind of equipment might be required? What might it cost?

Putting in a new radiant system would mean tearing out the wooden floor and putting in stuff on top of the concrete, which I am not willing to spend the money on at this time.

The piping would have to be pressurized to test for leaks. But that is no guarrantee that they would start to leak a month later.

You can have radiant wall panels installed in the basement.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    The piping would have to be pressurized to test for leaks. But that is no guarrantee that they would start to leak a month later.

You can have radiant wall panels installed in the basement.
    Thanks! What kind of pro would I look for to do such a leak test?

Any contractor that does radiant heat, will have the equipment to pressurize the pipes.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?