What do you think

What do you think would happen if:

51% of the voting population wrote in (NONE OF THE ABOVE) in november?

What should be done if 51% didn't WANT any of the people on the ballot?
    Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

I share your sentiment, I just don't believe it has a snowball's chance of working. Obama's voters are pretty well his to keep. A write in campaign would siphon mainly from McCain; and though I doubt it would even reach double digits, it would be enough to elect Obama.

This is why the electoral system needs one small change that would allow for run-offs if none of the candidates get a simple majority of votes. That's the only way a third party will ever upset the apple cart (which needs to happen).

Quote Originally Posted by k_fridge View Post
    I share your sentiment, I just don't believe it has a snowball's chance of working. Obama's voters are pretty well his to keep. A write in campaign would siphon mainly from McCain; and though I doubt it would even reach double digits, it would be enough to elect Obama.

This is why the electoral system needs one small change that would allow for run-offs if none of the candidates get a simple majority of votes. That's the only way a third party will ever upset the apple cart (which needs to happen).
    No way that will ever happen. Dems and Pugs will circle the wagons, not to mention, rich a$$holes, like Soros and Buffet, would use their vast supply of power to crush any third party. This country is destined for the next Jimmy Carter. Watch.
    "Excellence is the gradual result of always striving to do better"
    -Pat Riley

Quote Originally Posted by whec720 View Post
    No way that will ever happen. Dems and Pugs will circle the wagons, not to mention, rich a$$holes, like Soros and Buffet, would use their vast supply of power to crush any third party. This country is destined for the next Jimmy Carter. Watch.
    Oh I know the two current parties would not let it happen.

But I can still dream.

What I'd really like to see is the GOP go back to being conservatives. Doesn't look promising though, they've learned to play the game like the Dems do.

Oh I know the two current parties would not let it happen.

But I can still dream.

What I'd really like to see is the GOP go back to being conservatives. Doesn't look promising though, they've learned to play the game like the Dems do.
    And why do you think that is?

I'll give you most of the answer: Rich a$$holes, like Soros and Buffet. Face it. The two parties have completely sold us out for the wealthy elites. These guys think globally and could care less about the working American citizen. People are just marginalized as debits and credits, nothing more.
    -Pat Riley

Quote Originally Posted by whec720 View Post
    And why do you think that is?

I'll give you most of the answer: Rich a$$holes, like Soros and Buffet. Face it. The two parties have completely sold us out for the wealthy elites. These guys think globally and could care less about the working American citizen. People are just marginalized as debits and credits, nothing more.
    I don't think it's that as much as that the parties have learned to play to the lowest common denominator. They compete to see who can but the most votes by pandering and giving away our tax dollars. It used to be just the Dems, now the GOP has dropped to that level too. And all the while, the government is getting bigger and gaining more power over the states.

I don't think it's that as much as that the parties have learned to play to the lowest common denominator. They compete to see who can but the most votes by pandering and giving away our tax dollars. It used to be just the Dems, now the GOP has dropped to that level too. And all the while, the government is getting bigger and gaining more power over the states.
    True, to a point. However, who do you think drives the agenda? Who do the politicians pander to? It ain't the voting public, is it? They just throw us a bone, here and there, as you have sharply stated.
    Last edited by whec720; 06-25-2008 at 10:37 AM.
    -Pat Riley

A long time ago I wrote a paper in a pol sci class about mandatory voting. I made the argument FOR mandatory voting but only if there was a 'None of the Above' option. If None of the Above won, it didn't change anything, the election was won by the PERSON with the highest vote. Politicians seem to think that if I vote for them that means I support ALL of their policies, after all, they won so they must be right. None of the Above means I care enough to vote but I don't support any of the politicians on the ballot. It just gives the parties something to think about if their candidate looses badly to none of the above.

If I were to write the same paper today, I would add that if non of the above won a super-majority (60% of the vote), that new candidates must be selected and the election held again. I haven't worked out the details if none of the above keeps winning as far as how to keep the govt working under that condition.
    Never knock on Death's door. Ring the bell and run, he hates that.

Views expressed here are my own and not neccessarily those of any company I am affiliated with.

'govt working'
    That right there is funny, I don't care who you are!
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.