Thread: Is Goodman a good name?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Is Goodman a good name?

I received a bid from a company for a 16 SEER SSX16 heat pump system that sounds really good. I am however unfamiliar with Goodman, the brand he is quoting. Is Goodman in the class of Carrier, Lennox etc? (Or better, what do I know?).

Thanks guys!

W.P.

Post Likes
    You will hear both yes and no's....probably a brief arguments afterwards.

Choose the contractor and let him sell you the equipment.

Explain what was i n the whole quote for it.

Post Likes
    Twilli says yes that is a good unit if installed properly, like Twilli does em
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    I like Goodman. I own a couple of old at my properties and they seem to work fine. They most are all alike except I believe Trane and American Standard are best names

Post Likes
    Why would Trane and American Standard (same units made by same company) be better? Would not general data such as capacity and efficiency dictate whether or not equipment of any brand is comparable? Installation is of course the most important factor in any HVAC product because the final system assembly of an HVAC system is completed on site by the HVAC contractor. Then we have the warranty issue to factor in. So, what makes any brand of the same capacity and efficiency rating better then any other brand?

Post Likes
    Goodmans blow!

Post Likes
    Honestly, from somebody who does it everyday and repairs everything. They are all junk. Otherwise I wouldn't have a job and be able to afford this computer to give you my .02 on it. Just like the rest of the guys on here. Cheap, expensive, high end, low end. If its mechanical, its gonna be a problem.

Post Likes
    A few years ago I was invited to tour Goodman's factory in Texas. I arrived pretty jaded against the product, given a somewhat spotty history. They succeeded in turning me around. Having previously seen the York, Lennox and Carrier factories - Goodman gives nothing up to the competition. The R&D labs were spotless and state of the art. Pervasive throughout was a quality focus culture - they wanted to improve their image. It is also their aspiration to be #1 wordwide (I believe they are #2 in volume). I have little doubt they'll make it. Accordingly the prices seem to steadily be rising. Hopefully the occurrence of failures that others are reporting is falling!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dougvhvac View Post
    A few years ago I was invited to tour Goodman's factory in Texas. I arrived pretty jaded against the product, given a somewhat spotty history. They succeeded in turning me around. Having previously seen the York, Lennox and Carrier factories - Goodman gives nothing up to the competition. The R&D labs were spotless and state of the art. Pervasive throughout was a quality focus culture - they wanted to improve their image. It is also their aspiration to be #1 wordwide (I believe they are #2 in volume). I have little doubt they'll make it. Accordingly the prices seem to steadily be rising. Hopefully the occurrence of failures that others are reporting is falling!
    I've seen many contractors wowed by the Goodman plant tours.

Goodman is actually mostly focused on North America and not much of a worldwide presence. Goodman is also still a primarily residential equipment manufacturer, even though they claim to be light commercial as well (I'm not yet impressed with Goodman's commercial line other then the 7.5 and 10 ton remote condensers and heat pumps.) Currently, as a single brand, Goodman holds the number one spot for residential installations in North America. As a company, Goodman holds the number two spot for the residential installs.

If Goodman can get some of their internal issues with distribution settled, they certainly have a great potential to continue to grow.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    I would stay away from the goodman all together, even amana would be better, As both are made by the same company, the goodman is the lower end, composed of cheaper parts, and less features. I have installed the ASZ16 two stage (which is the amana), it seemed to work well, the controls in out door unit, are a little un-reliable over time though, they do offer a good warranty. If you want the best unit, get a RHEEM. you can look at their 16 seer at rheemac.com.
    Last edited by aintitfun; 06-25-2008 at 09:32 PM. Reason: add info

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by aintitfun View Post
    I would stay away from the goodman all together, even amana would be better, As both are made by the same company, the goodman is the lower end, composed of cheaper parts, and less features. I have installed the ASZ16 two stage (which is the amana), it seemed to work well, the controls in out door unit, are a little un-reliable over time though, they do offer a good warranty. If you want the best unit, get a RHEEM. you can look at their 16 seer at rheemac.com.
    Do you even read what you write? "Stay away from Goodman altogether but Amana is ok because they are both manufactured by Goodman...." Did this take an actual thought process?

Just what is unreliable about the controls in the ASZ16 series? Just how long do you consider "over time" since this model has only been out a couple of years? Why have I, who have been involved with literally thousands of these units, not seen any overall control issues?

Incidentally, if you used the proper air handler or coil for that ASZ16, it is exactly the same for Goodman or Amana.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in