Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Goodman a good name?

Post Likes

Is Goodman a good name?

I received a bid from a company for a 16 SEER SSX16 heat pump system that sounds really good. I am however unfamiliar with Goodman, the brand he is quoting. Is Goodman in the class of Carrier, Lennox etc? (Or better, what do I know?).

Thanks guys!

W.P.

Post Likes
    You will hear both yes and no's....probably a brief arguments afterwards.

Choose the contractor and let him sell you the equipment.

Explain what was i n the whole quote for it.

Post Likes
    Twilli says yes that is a good unit if installed properly, like Twilli does em
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    I like Goodman. I own a couple of old at my properties and they seem to work fine. They most are all alike except I believe Trane and American Standard are best names

Post Likes
    Why would Trane and American Standard (same units made by same company) be better? Would not general data such as capacity and efficiency dictate whether or not equipment of any brand is comparable? Installation is of course the most important factor in any HVAC product because the final system assembly of an HVAC system is completed on site by the HVAC contractor. Then we have the warranty issue to factor in. So, what makes any brand of the same capacity and efficiency rating better then any other brand?

Post Likes
    Goodmans blow!

Post Likes

EASY DON't POINT THAT THING AT ME

hey man don't shoot the messenger...that is the story that was sold to me...nothing runs like a Trane (AS)...

Maybe all crap, I only own one AS system that i bought on my first house. They cost too much, so I never buy them. I am not getting any endorsement money trust me. So if you guys think they are all the same, I am ok with that. I do have several Goodman's though. I think brand does not really matter, cause we have all types goodman, rheem, AS, Haier, Lenox, Bard. Whatever works, I agree the warranty is all that matters to me....

Post Likes

Bottom Feeder-Sucks

Even though my brother has one and it cools and heats well, w/out problems-it bottom shelf stuff. He prolly shoulda got a Trane or Carrier. You know there's never a problem w/those.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RomulanSpy View Post
    Even though my brother has one and it cools and heats well, w/out problems-it bottom shelf stuff. He prolly shoulda got a Trane or Carrier. You know there's never a problem w/those.
    Are you taking George Carlin's place? Dash said that this site was full of comedians.

Post Likes

If I'm to take his mantle

Quote Originally Posted by adrianf View Post
    Are you taking George Carlin's place? Dash said that this site was full of comedians.
    it'll have to be 10 words.

Post Likes
    I sold Goodman when I first started business any contractor could buy and sell them. No more. Too many failures typically with capacitors and blower relays, fans, oh and evaporator coils. One supply house clerk told me he has seen more warranty claims at the Goodman house in two weeks than he did in years at his former supplier. I would seriously consider other options. As far as Trane and American Standard go yes they do cost more. They definitly have fewer failures and will probably last longer. Of course depending upon craftsmanship of installers and total system design.
    Good luck.

Post Likes
    You might want to go back through post on this site, and read all the threads about Trane units.
    They are a lot easier to stop then you think. And can cost a lot more to get going again.

Are you a proud member of the Tranewashed?

Post Likes
    Carrier must be reliable. High tech industry only installs carrier class equipment.

Ok, bad joke... I'll go back to trolling...

Post Likes
    Wasn't the 16 seer Goodman the one Robo mentioned out-classing the big boy's and had them playing catch up?

Post Likes
    A few years ago I was invited to tour Goodman's factory in Texas. I arrived pretty jaded against the product, given a somewhat spotty history. They succeeded in turning me around. Having previously seen the York, Lennox and Carrier factories - Goodman gives nothing up to the competition. The R&D labs were spotless and state of the art. Pervasive throughout was a quality focus culture - they wanted to improve their image. It is also their aspiration to be #1 wordwide (I believe they are #2 in volume). I have little doubt they'll make it. Accordingly the prices seem to steadily be rising. Hopefully the occurrence of failures that others are reporting is falling!

Post Likes
    I have a Goodman R22 14 SEER heat pump that was installed this time last year.

I offer the following advice:

- Get the optional TXV for the air handler. It's less than $100 and will provide maximum cooling efficiency under all operating conditions. All Goodman heat pumps are ARI-rated with a TXV, and not the check flowrater supplied with the air handler.

- The filter rack for the 1" air handler is poorly designed. I literally have to tear out the old filter and surgically install a new one. Get a separate 4" media cabinet and avoid my monthly aggravation. This would NOT prevent me from getting a Goodman unit.

So far I am very happy with the Goodman. We'll see if I feel the same way 5 years from now.

Good luck.

Post Likes
    Be aware that only the 5-ton SSX16 is a dual-stage unit. You might want to consider the Amana ASZ16 instead to get dual stage and a higher-end product. I'm not going to feed the fire here regarding Goodman's quality. They all have problems here and there.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Goodmans blow!
    Yep! They do blow all right. Hot and cold, they do blow
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Danceswithfish View Post
    I sold Goodman when I first started business any contractor could buy and sell them. No more. Too many failures typically with capacitors and blower relays, fans, oh and evaporator coils. One supply house clerk told me he has seen more warranty claims at the Goodman house in two weeks than he did in years at his former supplier. I would seriously consider other options. As far as Trane and American Standard go yes they do cost more. They definitly have fewer failures and will probably last longer. Of course depending upon craftsmanship of installers and total system design.
    Good luck.
    According to an "uncontested" statement made by Goodman Manufacturing, Goodman has the lowest warranty failure of components in the industry. Since there are more Goodman systems then any other singular branded equipment on the market in North America, I'd say that there may be more Goodman failures due to the sheer volume of equipment, but a less percentage of Goodman equipment fails over other brands.

Being the most installed singular brand of equipment and the second most sold brand even when compared to the many brands that the Carrier Corporation has, and getting to that volume of success in just over 20 years, tells us that most of the things being stated about Goodman equipment are just sour grapes from those who don't sell and install Goodman. Not an opinion, just an observation based on factual data
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by model m-man View Post
    Wasn't the 16 seer Goodman the one Robo mentioned out-classing the big boy's and had them playing catch up?
    I remember making the statement that the while Goodman's entry level equipment is no longer the least expensive in the market that the higher efficiency systems by Goodman are comparable to the other name brands at a better cost.

I don't really believe that any "brand" is any better then any other "brand". I do believe that there are some models in some brands that are more cost effective for doing the same job with comparable features, benefits and efficiencies.
    Training is important!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in