Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Wasn't the 16 seer Goodman the one Robo mentioned out-classing the big boy's and had them playing catch up?

A few years ago I was invited to tour Goodman's factory in Texas. I arrived pretty jaded against the product, given a somewhat spotty history. They succeeded in turning me around. Having previously seen the York, Lennox and Carrier factories - Goodman gives nothing up to the competition. The R&D labs were spotless and state of the art. Pervasive throughout was a quality focus culture - they wanted to improve their image. It is also their aspiration to be #1 wordwide (I believe they are #2 in volume). I have little doubt they'll make it. Accordingly the prices seem to steadily be rising. Hopefully the occurrence of failures that others are reporting is falling!

I have a Goodman R22 14 SEER heat pump that was installed this time last year.

I offer the following advice:

- Get the optional TXV for the air handler. It's less than $100 and will provide maximum cooling efficiency under all operating conditions. All Goodman heat pumps are ARI-rated with a TXV, and not the check flowrater supplied with the air handler.

- The filter rack for the 1" air handler is poorly designed. I literally have to tear out the old filter and surgically install a new one. Get a separate 4" media cabinet and avoid my monthly aggravation. This would NOT prevent me from getting a Goodman unit.

So far I am very happy with the Goodman. We'll see if I feel the same way 5 years from now.

Good luck.

Be aware that only the 5-ton SSX16 is a dual-stage unit. You might want to consider the Amana ASZ16 instead to get dual stage and a higher-end product. I'm not going to feed the fire here regarding Goodman's quality. They all have problems here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Goodmans blow!
    Yep! They do blow all right. Hot and cold, they do blow
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by Danceswithfish View Post
    I sold Goodman when I first started business any contractor could buy and sell them. No more. Too many failures typically with capacitors and blower relays, fans, oh and evaporator coils. One supply house clerk told me he has seen more warranty claims at the Goodman house in two weeks than he did in years at his former supplier. I would seriously consider other options. As far as Trane and American Standard go yes they do cost more. They definitly have fewer failures and will probably last longer. Of course depending upon craftsmanship of installers and total system design.
    Good luck.
    According to an "uncontested" statement made by Goodman Manufacturing, Goodman has the lowest warranty failure of components in the industry. Since there are more Goodman systems then any other singular branded equipment on the market in North America, I'd say that there may be more Goodman failures due to the sheer volume of equipment, but a less percentage of Goodman equipment fails over other brands.

Being the most installed singular brand of equipment and the second most sold brand even when compared to the many brands that the Carrier Corporation has, and getting to that volume of success in just over 20 years, tells us that most of the things being stated about Goodman equipment are just sour grapes from those who don't sell and install Goodman. Not an opinion, just an observation based on factual data

Quote Originally Posted by model m-man View Post
    Wasn't the 16 seer Goodman the one Robo mentioned out-classing the big boy's and had them playing catch up?
    I remember making the statement that the while Goodman's entry level equipment is no longer the least expensive in the market that the higher efficiency systems by Goodman are comparable to the other name brands at a better cost.

I don't really believe that any "brand" is any better then any other "brand". I do believe that there are some models in some brands that are more cost effective for doing the same job with comparable features, benefits and efficiencies.

Quote Originally Posted by dougvhvac View Post
    A few years ago I was invited to tour Goodman's factory in Texas. I arrived pretty jaded against the product, given a somewhat spotty history. They succeeded in turning me around. Having previously seen the York, Lennox and Carrier factories - Goodman gives nothing up to the competition. The R&D labs were spotless and state of the art. Pervasive throughout was a quality focus culture - they wanted to improve their image. It is also their aspiration to be #1 wordwide (I believe they are #2 in volume). I have little doubt they'll make it. Accordingly the prices seem to steadily be rising. Hopefully the occurrence of failures that others are reporting is falling!
    I've seen many contractors wowed by the Goodman plant tours.

Goodman is actually mostly focused on North America and not much of a worldwide presence. Goodman is also still a primarily residential equipment manufacturer, even though they claim to be light commercial as well (I'm not yet impressed with Goodman's commercial line other then the 7.5 and 10 ton remote condensers and heat pumps.) Currently, as a single brand, Goodman holds the number one spot for residential installations in North America. As a company, Goodman holds the number two spot for the residential installs.

If Goodman can get some of their internal issues with distribution settled, they certainly have a great potential to continue to grow.

Goodmans blow!
    ...cold air.

My 5 Ton 16 SEER Goodman has been flawless for 14 months. 3500 sq ft, wife keeps it at 77F, stage 2 required only above 99F outside. 6 people in the house and a pool pump. Electric bill under $300. Yeah... really blows !!

Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    I have a Goodman R22 14 SEER heat pump that was installed this time last year.

I offer the following advice:

- Get the optional TXV for the air handler. It's less than $#### and will provide maximum cooling efficiency under all operating conditions. All Goodman heat pumps are ARI-rated with a TXV, and not the check flowrater supplied with the air handler.
    Not quite true. All but the 5 ton 14 SEER and all of the 13 SEER R22 heat pumps have a few systems that are ARI rated at 14 SEER with a piston metering device. Also, take out the pricing reference please. Not all contractors charge the same for components.
    - The filter rack for the 1" air handler is poorly designed. I literally have to tear out the old filter and surgically install a new one. Get a separate 4" media cabinet and avoid my monthly aggravation. This would NOT prevent me from getting a Goodman unit.
    I too agree that the filter opening leaves a lot to be desired. It can be manipulated to work better, but it can be a pain.
    So far I am very happy with the Goodman. We'll see if I feel the same way 5 years from now.

Good luck.
    There is no reason you should not be happy in 10-20 years as long as you keep that filter clean, rinse off the outdoor unit once in a while and have your system checked annually by an HVAC professional for any signs of potential issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Danceswithfish View Post
    I sold Goodman when I first started business any contractor could buy and sell them. No more. Too many failures typically with capacitors and blower relays, fans, oh and evaporator coils. One supply house clerk told me he has seen more warranty claims at the Goodman house in two weeks than he did in years at his former supplier. I would seriously consider other options. As far as Trane and American Standard go yes they do cost more. They definitly have fewer failures and will probably last longer. Of course depending upon craftsmanship of installers and total system design.
    Good luck.
    Dude.....are you completely out of your mind with this statement?? As stated above, the LOWEST failure rate in the industry. Oh wait....you talked to a supply house guy who knows a guy who has a cousin that says..... I wouldn't be so quick to believe everything you hear.

To the OP....from someone who installs Goodman exclusively....you have nothing to worry about when it comes to the quality of the unit....you do have to worry about the quality of the installer though.
    I need a new signature.....

Whatever...

Some manufactures make tons of money with people assuming that you get what you pay for, Just because it cost more doesn't make it any better. In fact you be surprised how cheeply some " Top Shelf " units are made, Thinner Copper.... Alum....Ect.. if they can't make units that don't leak with R-22 whats going to happen when the change to 410??
    Ken

Thinner copper?

do you have info on that one?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast