Thread: Power Surge

Post Likes

Power Surge

Yesterday, in my neighborhood, their was a neighborhood wide power outage. When it happened I heard a pop. Now that the power has came back on, the only thing that does not work is my AC. It is also making a high pitched hissing noise outside as well. I guess to make a short question long is, what could be wrong with it? Thanks.

Post Likes
    call your friendly neighberhood service tech

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason5311 View Post
    Yesterday, in my neighborhood, their was a neighborhood wide power outage..
    Was this during a storm" if so and you plan on filing a claim, you better make sure you don't tell the insurance company a power surge killed your unit, you better tell the you saw lightning hit it or they won't pay a dime.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". -Vernon Law-

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

"To face tragedy is the greatest challenge; to overcome tragedy is the greatest success" -Ranal Currie-

Post Likes
    I am going to do that tomorrow. I just wanted to get as much info as I can before I call.

Post Likes
    No, there was no storm. I think that someone was digging near the sidewalk.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason5311 View Post
    No, there was no storm. I think that someone was digging near the sidewalk.
    I would be trying to find the digger.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". -Vernon Law-

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

"To face tragedy is the greatest challenge; to overcome tragedy is the greatest success" -Ranal Currie-

Post Likes
    To answer your question, any of a number of things could be wrong with it. You'll need a Tech to tell you for sure.

Post Likes
    I've only seen a power surge 3 times and everytime it blows up the capacitor and/or wiring. You can go outside and see if the outdoor fan is spinning or not, because your compressor will hiss as a safety feature if the outdoor fan is not running. Like I said usually it's just a capacitor and/or some wiring melted. A visual inspection of the wiring in the electrical compartment should tell you what's wrong.

Post Likes
    Don't the newer AC's have fuses or circuit breakers built in to protect it from power surges?
    Key1