Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Question changing line sets when going to 410 -- I don't think so

I did a changeout from 22 to 410 about 6 months ago and kept the old line set in -- I did a triple evac and pulled the final leg down to 50 microns, opened up the valves, and she purred like a kitten.

I was in the area today and did a quick check, and she was still purring like a kitten with normal operating ranges.

Some contractors at the supply house say they change line sets and some say to put in liquid & suction driers -- I say screw that.

What do you say?

We've recently seen a spike in R-410A TEV "failures". R-410A systems are now reaching the installer masses. Such is the nature of our business.

In the R410A class, they said if you use the existing lineset, it needs to be flushed.

we change lineset 99% of the time, 410a or not. Just one more thing to mess it all up. Why take the chance. You install it/you own it, at least for warranty period.

I only replace the line-set because copper fatigues and i dont want, Or want my new system,inheriting a leak. I charge the customer and change line-sets where applicable. I was told in 410 classes also as stated below, That you do not have to change the line set but you MUST flush them to assure everything is good for the POE oil.

There used to be a guy come here that actually worked for DuPont and told me one time in a thread like this, that if you flush the lines good that the mineral oil left in the lines if you did not get it all completely out will not be enough to hurt anything. I wished I could remember his name, I know some of the long timers here know who I am talking about, I just had a brain lock and I just can't remember his name.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by emcoasthvacr View Post
    I did a changeout from 22 to 410 about 6 months ago and kept the old line set in -- I did a triple evac and pulled the final leg down to 50 microns, opened up the valves, and she purred like a kitten.

I was in the area today and did a quick check, and she was still purring like a kitten with normal operating ranges.

Some contractors at the supply house say they change line sets and some say to put in liquid & suction driers -- I say screw that.

What do you say?
    You can pull as many vacuums as you want and still have problems. The bottom line is you have to remove the old oil from the system. Vac pumps don't remove oil. Driers can catch some sludge, but that is a band-aid. If I had to chose between a vacuum and a nitrogen on a change over, it would be nitrogen everytime. R-11 flush is way better than nitrogen, and made for the task at hand, why not do it?

If my customers can't afford R-11 flush, it's very likely they can't afford for me to be there. And the problem is....?

Twilli just hack it in
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

When ines are not buried we try to change them. If covered up we will blow them out good and use them over if sized right. Been doing this for a few years now and have not run into a problem yet.
    Its a good Life!

"R-11 flush is way better than nitrogen, and made for the task at hand, why not do it?"

Is that legal or are you capturing the R-11 as you flush or is it considered "diminimus"?

Quote Originally Posted by big johnson View Post
    "R-11 flush is way better than nitrogen, and made for the task at hand, why not do it?"

Is that legal or are you capturing the R-11 as you flush or is it considered "diminimus"?
    I think he means RX11 flush. Which is not R11 refrigerant.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

My install is tomorrow for a 410a pump from a R22. Should I ask the installer how he plans on prepping the existing lineset? I know they plan on reusing it as the contractor commented that the lines were the correct size due to the high efficiency of the old unit I am replacing.

Quote Originally Posted by Llama View Post
    My install is tomorrow for a 410a pump from a R22. Should I ask the installer how he plans on prepping the existing lineset? I know they plan on reusing it as the contractor commented that the lines were the correct size due to the high efficiency of the old unit I am replacing.
    YES!!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast