Thread: Rheem mod media filter question

Post Likes

Rheem mod media filter question

The filter that is currently in my furnace is 16x25x5, and I was wondering if it would be ok to use a 16x25x4 instead.

I am having a hard time finding a 16x25x5 locally. Lowes and Home Depot sell the 4" filters all day long... which would make it much more convenient to buy a filter when I need it.

Or.. for future filter needs, if anyone would be kind enough to provide a link to a reputable online store... please do.

Thanks,

Mark

Post Likes
    Twilli gots 16x25x5, but you could use 4 in
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    You can get them from your installing contractor.

Post Likes
    I've used http://www.ushomefilter.com/ before with success. Can you make the 4" fit securely? What kind of filter cabinet do you have? I'm sure someone else can help you out with this, but the online store listed above could work as well...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by audio guy View Post
    The filter that is currently in my furnace is 16x25x5, and I was wondering if it would be ok to use a 16x25x4 instead.

I am having a hard time finding a 16x25x5 locally. Lowes and Home Depot sell the 4" filters all day long... which would make it much more convenient to buy a filter when I need it.

Or.. for future filter needs, if anyone would be kind enough to provide a link to a reputable online store... please do.

Thanks,

Mark
    What I did was used a good 4", and added one of those real thin blue filters on top. It doesn't restrict much and I changed it out once a month. It really catches the big stuff(cat hair) and saves the 4" filter, which I changed 2 times or les a year.
    Clay

Post Likes
    What I did was used a good 4", and added one of those real thin blue filters on top. It doesn't restrict much and I changed it out once a month. It really catches the big stuff(cat hair) and saves the 4" filter, which I changed 2 times or les a year.
    That's exactly what I was gonna say !!! simple math 4+1=5

Post Likes
    Thanks for everyones help, much appreciated!

Mark

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DanW13 View Post
    That's exactly what I was gonna say !!! simple math 4+1=5
    That is very good thinking McGyver, I had a customer once who called for a no heat and guess what i found.......he just replaced his filter(s), High limit stuck, he had a 16x25x4 cabinet but said he wanted the most amount of filtering possible and that it was cheaper for him to go with the 3M brand purple package pleated filters, wife almost killed him when i told them it was the smart thinking that was causing the problem!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by castillo7411 View Post
    That is very good thinking McGyver, I had a customer once who called for a no heat and guess what i found.......he just replaced his filter(s), High limit stuck, he had a 16x25x4 cabinet but said he wanted the most amount of filtering possible and that it was cheaper for him to go with the 3M brand purple package pleated filters, wife almost killed him when i told them it was the smart thinking that was causing the problem!
    Explain how the two are related? the thin cheap blue filter adds very little to the air restriction in front of the 4" filter. Maybe none over the 5" that was supposed to be there?

Clay

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by frijoli View Post
    Explain how the two are related? the thin cheap blue filter adds very little to the air restriction in front of the 4" filter. Maybe none over the 5" that was supposed to be there?

Clay
    Sorry, I think the 4" with the 1" fiber type is a very good Idea, and I was simply pointing out what NOT to do to get the 5" or 4" width. Sorry about the confusion!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in