I hate warm suction lines - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Once a technician gets comfortable with taking superheat and subcooling measurements, that technician will never again even think about diagnosing a system without that important data. Knowing superheat and subcooling of a system is like being able to see inside of the system. For example; if your superheat on a fixed metering system is in line but your subcooling is high but your head pressure is not out of line, there is a restriction in the condensing side of the system that needs to be taken care of. Once you are used to taking superheat and subcooling measurements and you understand what those numbers tell you about the operation of the refrigerant system, your eyes will be opened to a whole new dimension of troubleshooting.

Digital Device For Sh And Sc

I know the importance of it. I just am not comfortable. i want the quickest way to get the reading. I will pay for a device if needed, just not sure if it is worth it. Any feedback on using digital device to measure superheat & supercool vs old manual approach

Quote Originally Posted by RICO PARKER View Post
    I understand this guy falling back on pressure. I am new contractor, but I just find SuperHeat is difficult for me to measure. I get the target and actual, but I always feel uncomfortable that i am not doing it right, I use a digital therm for my wetbulb (I hate thought of using sling) and i use a digital therm with a probe for my suction line. Drives me nuts. I never feel the numbers are right. Do i have to wrap the suction line with a towel to get a good reading... Any advice on an easier way would be appreciated. Oh yeah, any comments on just using some of those fancy electric Superheat readers out there?
    A clamp-on thermocouple for measuring superheat/subcooling is your friend. Get one, use it, love it.

As for digital stuff, if I was still in a service truck I'd get a set of Digicool gauges or the Testo equivalent and thereby have what I need to accurately measure saturated temps and superheat/subcooling. As it is I do have a superheat/subcool meter/calculator by Fieldpiece, which works decently. Always good to have a backup in case the first line of whizbang defense fails, so I also can measure line temps with a separate meter.

I know the importance of it. I just am not comfortable. i want the quickest way to get the reading. I will pay for a device if needed, just not sure if it is worth it.
    And as far as it being worth it goes...how much is becoming more accurate in your diagnosis efforts worth to you?

Push yourself past your discomfort and into the realm of learning and expansion of skill. You'll not regret it.

shophound. I agree it is worth it to measure superheat. I just want a little insight into whether it is worth to buy a mini-computer that automatically measures the superheat/supercool for you. Sounds the others like manual with a clamp for the suction line. What do you think.

For speed when time is money it's worth it.

Fieldpiece has a dual thermometer the ST-4 it has dual inputs and is adj. for accuracy....very easily adjustable.

The clamps are a little expensive @ about $40 a piece......Once you get those you'll hate the old method. Obviously the Digicool gauges or Testo gauges are top of the line and are well worth it to the folks that want speed accuracy and want it all digital.

P.S. Hey Shophound I sure have been seeing a lot of the educational committee commenting again.....and this strange little # countdown under jrbenny's name.......anything you guys are talking about ?

shophound. I agree it is worth it to measure superheat. I just want a little insight into whether it is worth to buy a mini-computer that automatically measures the superheat/supercool for you. Sounds the others like manual with a clamp for the suction line. What do you think.
    Let's see...carry a PT chart, a notepad and pencil, manifold gauges, a separate meter to measure the pipe temps, and a pipe clamp thermocouple vs. carrying at maximum my gauge manifold and a superheat/subcooling meter/calculator or minimum a digital manifold with onboard superheat/subcooling calculation...hook up the gauges to the schraders, clamp onto the pipe I want to monitor, rock n' roll.

Since I'm not in the speedy end of the trade, I do good by manifold gauges and the Fieldpiece device/pipe clamps. If I was in a service truck I'd definitely be thinking about Digicool or Testo. The easier it is to do, the more likely you are to do it...every time.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
    P.S. Hey Shophound I sure have been seeing a lot of the educational committee commenting again.....and this strange little # countdown under jrbenny's name.......anything you guys are talking about ?
    All I can say is that we're getting close, so hold tight onto your Professional Membership, and for others reading this, get your Pro Membership approved NOW, time's a tickin'...tick tick tick....

And...it's gonna be AWESOME.

hey shophound are you telling me to get my pro membership cause i hit 15? not sure I understand your last posting

Quote Originally Posted by indianajones View Post
    Twilli is very funny with his one liners
    He's working on two-liners, but that may take a while

hey shophound are you telling me to get my pro membership cause i hit 15? not sure I understand your last posting
    You should apply for pro membership if you're in the trade, and that can be verified by the membership committee. Having pro membership will give you access to the pro technical forum, and the new educational forum, which should be coming online soon. Between the pro technical forum and the educational forum, you will have a wealth of information about HVAC theory, repair scenarios and problems, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by shophound View Post
    You should apply for pro membership if you're in the trade, and that can be verified by the membership committee. Having pro membership will give you access to the pro technical forum, and the new educational forum, which should be coming online soon. Between the pro technical forum and the educational forum, you will have a wealth of information about HVAC theory, repair scenarios and problems, etc.
    I'm not verifying nothing! Everytime someone wants to be allowed into the professional forums, I have more work to do!! Just because it is my job doesn't mean people have to keep giving me more of it to do!!!
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Confused pro forums

i will try to apply once i can find all my stuff. e.p.a certified,will have to scan my card. can't find my r.s.e.s. cert's. will this have any real bearing on the decision to make me a pro member.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast