Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Automotive Section?

Is there an automotive section in these fourms? I have had to try to repair a few car/truck AC units and I haven't seen info here on how to repair auto systems.

I currently have a 1997 GMC Jimmy that is leaking 134a from the compressor and would like more info on how to repair these systems.

I am bidding on a new compressor on ebay, but I don't have many auto fittings and no vacuum pump.

If you have no vacuum pump.......

then you have no chance of even attempting to do it right.

I understand that you want to save money and learn new things. However this is not a DIY site. Read the rules.

I would recommend you call around to local service stations and get their opinions. Unlike HVAC, its a little easier to take your vehicle and a new compressor into a mechanic and ask him to install it.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

2. Do-It-Yourselfers - not here.

This site is for industry professionals and folks seeking HVAC/R advice and knowledge. Please do not ask for step by step instructions on purchasing, installing or repairing your own HVAC equipment, that is our job and our livelihood. We are generous, but not to a fault. You guys think I'm taking away your business?

Questions of this type will not be answered and may be deleted.
    Not a DIY site? Isn't this what the internet is for? Wow, I guess I will look elsewhere. Can you recommend another site?

I will buy a vacuum pump if I can find a good price on one. I would like to do everything the right way, but I don't really want to spend $1000.00 to get my AC working right either. I'd rather spend the money on my education/tools instead of lining the service stations pocket.

I have a universal licence, but I haven't been "in the field" in a while. I'm a industrial maintenance tech, but I don't do HVAC full time.

If I can't find a reasonable price on a vac pump, I will do as you recommended.

If your 608 Universal, your not certified for automotive, which is 609.

An automotive shop making money is not lining their pockets.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

OK, that's great. Looks like I'm on my own.

Go here tell them Mr. Bill sent you and you will get special treatment.

daveyt I took away the link I don't know about linking to other sites from here but my email is in my profile to the best auto a/c forum on the net.
    Last edited by Mr Bill; 06-21-2008 at 11:52 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Amazing....

I thought I was pretty nice and reasonable with my response, which is a change of pace for me.

And still people are unappreciative. I don't know why we try sometimes.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Yo Dave, try this

I guess that you do not read the rules either about posting links to other sites.......
    Last edited by ARPA; 06-21-2008 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RomulanSpy View Post
    I guess that you do not read the rules either about posting links to other sites.......

Yea, I guess Mr. Bill needs to freshen up on the rules a bit also, but at least I went back and edited my link out,
    I just had a gut feeling it was in the rules.
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    Amazing....

I thought I was pretty nice and reasonable with my response, which is a change of pace for me.

And still people are unappreciative. I don't know why we try sometimes.
    I am sorry if I seemed to be an Ahole. I just need to be pointed in the right direction. Thanks Mr. Bill!

I tried to PM/email you Mr. Bill, but it's not possible?

You have mail Dave and you need to edit out your email address please.
    Mr. Bill

He has a very common problem with GM's H-10 compressor, it had bad body seals during the late 90,s almost every one of them have leaked, it was a epidemic the problem was fixed in 2001 and later models. If Bill sent him where I think he did he will be in very good hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsubaki View Post
    If Bill sent him where I think he did he will be in very good hands.

I sent him to Tim's place or TRB but they are really slow on the weekends he probably will get better responses on Monday,
    but you may have just answered his question.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast