Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Messed up service call

Went on a service call today, Lennox brand heat pump. The outdoor coil was up on blocks, so I could not see inside. Had no idea that it already had a bi flow filter drier installed. The unit was nearly out of refrigerant so I performed a triple evac and installed a liquid line bi flow filter drier. Anyway, my question is, should I refund the customer for the filter drier and admit my mistake or let it go? I am just starting out with my own business and learning as I go and it is tough. What would you do?

should I refund the customer for the filter drier and admit my mistake or let it go? Hmmmmmmmm, If you installed something and found out that there was already that aprt there would you want to be charged for someone else's mistake, especially with things the way they are today !!! Would you pay for something you already had if this was someone else doing what you just did?? Besides if you could not see it before you decided to put one in, why didn't you get a ladder to actually look inside if it was too high to see I say it was your mistake and not the customers you eat it

Aparrently, Lennox tells you to add a LLFD and leave the one inside the cabinet alone, if your repair is outside the cabinet.

So let your conscience be your guide.

If you couldn't see inside, how did you find out it already has a FD after you installed the this one.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

how did you leak test a unit without looking inside of it????

bi flow

you may want to consider...working for a contractor...a few more years....get some more experience under your belt....before taking on work...you may run into some litigation down the road...

Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    I could see the leak. It was an old temp. port that was soldered in when the unit was installed. The unit is 15 years old. I cut the temp port out and put the filter drier in its place.

Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    micron guage

Quote Originally Posted by DanW13 View Post
    should I refund the customer for the filter drier and admit my mistake or let it go? Hmmmmmmmm, If you installed something and found out that there was already that aprt there would you want to be charged for someone else's mistake, especially with things the way they are today !!! Would you pay for something you already had if this was someone else doing what you just did?? Besides if you could not see it before you decided to put one in, why didn't you get a ladder to actually look inside if it was too high to see I say it was your mistake and not the customers you eat it
    I know it is no excuse but most heat pumps do not come with a filter drier already installed, especially inside the outside coil. I cleaned the coil and inspected the contactor etc. After thinking about it, I would have put one in regardles if I had found the one already there or not considering the age of the unit. It was a favor job anyway and was done under my usual rate anyway. Now that I think about it I am not sure why I even ask.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Aparrently, Lennox tells you to add a LLFD and leave the one inside the cabinet alone, if your repair is outside the cabinet.

So let your conscience be your guide.

If you couldn't see inside, how did you find out it already has a FD after you installed the this one.
    I came home and download the service manual from Lennox and realized what I had done. I will be doing that from now on before one is serviced.

Quote Originally Posted by dismas66 View Post
    you may want to consider...working for a contractor...a few more years....get some more experience under your belt....before taking on work...you may run into some litigation down the road...
    Thank you for you input but I do not think that is the answer. I am willing to accept my mistakes, everyone makes them, and I really don't think it was due to inexperience just a lack of knowledge about that particular brand heat pump. I will be finding service manuals on models that I am not familiar with and reading them through before I go to the job. I could have worked with a company for years and not ever run into one of these and still would not have known, especially if I was working with the guy I worked with for about a year and knew more than he did right out of school and he has been in the industry for 20 yrs.!! Your are most likely not going to work on every single brand and make of heat pump and air conditioner in the market it does not matter where you work. The owner of this particular company installed a new heat pump in his home and could not get it to work, he had to call my instructor from the college I was attending to get it working and he has been in the industry for nearly 40 years. Not trying to put the blame somewhere else but just trying to give some examples of why experience is not the answer for me, but the lack of knowledge was. Lack of knowledge was the owners problem as well.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    My concern would be not removing the old drier,could plug up as you don't know how many times the system was opened or had a leak and recharge .

Really ,two driers is just not acceptable,IMHO.

Just as with any business do what you think your customers best interest is. That's what will get your business going in the long run. Have a clean recovery tank and recovery using dryers remove both filter drier and take the grunt on price on a new outside one. Unless you think the refrigerant is bad (if so test it) reuse it. It's 15 years old they are going to need a new one soon. Who are they going to think of when they get a refund from a mistake from a company they called that was totally honest with them?

Customer service is the key to success....think about the next time they call someone and the guy says well the last idiot has two driers in it for one thing......even if it says it can be done in the manual he will play all over it. They still have the bill you sent them so they will still no the name.....and know they know your practices maybe questionable.....even if the guy telling them two in the system is dead wrong. I bet he makes money on taking it out.

Quote Originally Posted by al_hvac View Post
    I am willing to accept my mistakes, everyone makes them, and I really don't think it was due to inexperience just a lack of knowledge about that particular brand heat pump. I could have worked with a company for years and not ever run into one of these and still would not have known Your are most likely not going to work on every single brand and make of heat pump and air conditioner in the market it does not matter where you work. Not trying to put the blame somewhere else but just trying to give some examples of why experience is not the answer for me, but the lack of knowledge was. Lack of knowledge was the owners problem as well.
    your contradicting yourself, because experience is knowledge!

after you perform service work for 10 years or so, you will have worked on 95% of all brands and systems!

and you will learn the systems inside and out!

you will also learn that all systems have the same components

compressor's, evaporator's, metering device's, relays, capacitors, fan motors, driers, etc.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast