Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

A/C tech said unit will not take Freon?

After moving into new home, I had my central a/c R-22 checked out because who knows when it was last serviced. The Unit is a Rheem and looks to be about 8 years old.

I called for service because the a/c would turn on for 10 minutes then shut down for another 10 minutes. This would happen all day long. So I was assuming the unit did not have enough freon in it and it should be serviced.

When the a/c tech arrived, we went out to the outside unit. He checked the levels with the guages and said it would need some freon. After hooking up the cylinder and attempting to add freon, he said it wasnt taking the freon and something could be holding it up in the air handler. For more $, he was going to climb into the attic to find out what was wrong.

Does this normally happen? Is there a certain part that allows the freon to be entered into the system?

Sounds like you need a new tech.

If the gas actually was not flowing into the system, the fix is quick, easy and standard procedure.

If adding refrigerant did not correct the problem, that is a different issue entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Sounds like you need a new tech.
    I agree, either your guy was way off track, or you totally miss- communicated.
    Anything I say here is only my opinion. Even if you understood what I said.... What I said may not even be what I meant.

is 10min on, 10 min off that bad? That is a 50% duty cycle with 3 cycles per hour. Seems well within spec, IMO. What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by badtlc View Post
    is 10min on, 10 min off that bad? That is a 50% duty cycle with 3 cycles per hour. Seems well within spec, IMO. What am I missing?
    I agree, what worries me is the tech's diagnosis. We all know how many service calls begin with either "I need freon" or "I need a new thermostat", it's up to us to diagnose then correctly.
    Anything I say here is only my opinion. Even if you understood what I said.... What I said may not even be what I meant.

Checking the AH sould have been part of the trouble shooting process. Find a new tech.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Find someone with a little more experience. There is lot more in checking out a system than adding Freon.
    Blue Fox

I agree...look for a new tech who inspects your complete system without charging extra to CLIMB in the attic.

sounds like he needs some new guages and hoses did you tell him to get lost

I agree you need to find somebody else. It may not be taking any more freon. Many factors could be at play such as too cold outside, refrigerant doesn't flow so well at cold temps. The metering device could be clogged or bad, maybe a dirty coil or filter, maybe the blower isn't running. Charging more to find out why it won't take freon is kinda chicken sh#t in my opinion.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by badtlc View Post
    Ha ha, this isn't a welder..... j/k
    "Fighting Ignorance since 1973 (It’s taking longer than we thought)." The Straight Dope.

He probably tried to charge it with the compressor off.
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

Compressor was running for some time before he tried to add it. Is there a valve inside the air handler that allows the freon to go in?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast